Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hello -

I'm looking to replace my BLR in .308. It's been a good gun, but I'm thinking change. In my quest, I think I've narrowed it down to the Carbine/Mannlicher style.

Does anyone have any experience with this style and Sako brand? Coming from a lever to a bolt will be the biggest change for me. Is the bolt smooth yet tight when working it. I want a magazine, rifle I can stalk hunt with. The Steyr is in the running, but I am not convinced I like their safety system (like the location, but not the 3 position and having to be in the "2nd" safe to lock the bolt so it's a long slide to fire if needed a quick shot).

Cooper could be in the mix, but They don't have the Mannlicher style from what I see unless you go custom.

Top of line money is prob $2500 for me (sorry Blaser fans). Then will come optics...

Thanks!

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try to handle a couple of early Mannlicher Schoenauers, 1950's, 1952's or 56MC's. That will give you a fantastic baseline for feel in operation and handling!

Many various manufacturers have tried to replicate that magic. That's the reason the prices for MC's are as high as they are. The addiction is powerful!

Welcome to the forums!

W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks - handling them is the hardest part seeing they are hard to find around here. I have "internet envy" and have seen some of the full stock posts. Perfect world I get the Sako and Steyr side by side in any caliber, but that hasn't happened yet.

The person we hunt with in camp has one, and I've always admired it too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Very good rifle that follow on the Steyr Mannlicher tradition more than the Steyr SBS do,(i'm a former Steyr salesman in France and own some). Very well made, accurate (moa or less if you handload), safe to use, very tough, choice of different action lenghs and good choice of calibers.
A classic, from the begining, with old world craftmanship in steel and wood.

Pictures of my 270Winch after hard hunting, test and abuse, wood need to be oiled a little after lot of time under hard rain. A bit expensive but when you love....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NEAT RIFLE!

Originally Posted by writing_frog

Very good rifle that follow on the Steyr Mannlicher tradition more than the Steyr SBS do,(i'm a former Steyr salesman in France and own some). Very well made, accurate (moa or less if you handload), safe to use, very tough, choice of different action lenghs and good choice of calibers.
A classic, from the begining, with old world craftmanship in steel and wood.

Pictures of my 270Winch after hard hunting, test and abuse, wood need to be oiled a little after lot of time under hard rain. A bit expensive but when you love....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Excellent Writing_Frog!

That was what I was after, and appreciate the pics VERY much. Hoping the wood grain from the US bound Carbines look as good as yours! And also appreciate the feedback on the Steyr (the SBS and bolt action had me questioning a lot about that option).

What do you recomend oiling with? I'm not opposed to darkening the wood a bit.

Wardman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the fore-end is one piece, do not buy it unless you live in a state with a very stable climate year around with little temperature and humidity variations!!!
From your photos it appears you have a 2 piece fore-end, the best way to go with Manlicher style rifles.

I live in Alberta, Canada with stark contrasting seasonal temperatures and humidity levels, death on accuracy in Mannlicher style rifles. Unfortunately for me, I love the looks of the Mannlicher style, so I took it on the nose time after time.

I have owned the MS in 6.5x54
A Sako full length 2 piece fore-end in .308.
A Ruger International in .308.
A Husquvarna full length in 7x57
A Remington laminate full length M7 in .308.

The Sako the only one I have owned with a 2 piece fore-end, with the barrel ring relieved as not to touch the barrel, was the best of the lot in stability.
Still it shows 2-3 inch shifts @ 200 meters, in late fall to late spring impact point shifts, good enough for deer hunting out to 200 meters or so. Grouping at 200 meter 2-4 inches.
All the others I had to sell because of too large variabilities in impact points ( as much as 7-8 inches @ 200 meters.) at different times of the year as well as very inconsistent grouping.
I no longer purchase Mannlichers for that reason.
After you are accustomed to the looks, they are like women..........Pretty is as pretty does.

Last edited by shrike; 12/24/11.
W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the info Shrike - I'm in PA and most shots won't be over 100yds, but 200yds is a possibility.

So what you are saying it Mannlichers with the barrel not totally free floated could be a problem in more harsh cliamtes do to the wood expanding/contracting.

I have found a place that has an assortment of Sako's, Coopers, and even a Browning or two. They are probably my next stop.

Glasswize, I'm leaning towards the Leupold 2.5x8 with B&C due to size and reviews. The Zeiss and Swarovski look nice, but are they 2x's the price? Comments?

Wardman

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Each Mannlicher stocked rifle is a sample of one.

Never had a M/S that would not shoot decently once the right load was found for it. Got a 56MC that cares not about temps or the barometer. It works.
Do I subject it to extremes all the time? Not so much.
That's what a Kimber Montana is for!

You can pass on B&C and other multi use reticles for the type of shooting you are doing (to 200y). A simple duplex works just fine.

W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thx - was thinking the same after seeing me type "out to 200yds..."

Last edited by Wardman; 12/24/11.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have both the Sako 85(not a Bavarian, however) and the Steyr SBS. I find the Steyr safety wheel a bit cumbersome especially with gloved hands. The Sako is smoother and lighter.

W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have been thinking the same thing just by the looks of it. Kind of counter-intuitive if you ask me....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have owned a Sako Bavarian, but not the short version. Have owned many Steyrs as well. You would not be unhappy with ether one, accuracy wise. I would probably do the Sako first, as your first foray into into the European rifle scene.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Shrike,

Mine never had problem with shifting point of impact even after hunting under heavy rain or snow. The barrel is totally free floated but the channel barrel gap is thin enough to keep a nice look to the Bavarian. Finnish knows about wet, cold and snow.
I maintained wood after pictures were taken with Schaftol wood mixture. It exist in different "colors" to follow the one of your stock. I prefer the Bavarian to the SBS Stutzen because of receiver size adapted to cartridge lengh. Both are accurate enough for most hunting except long range as discribed in the "long range hunting thread".
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Writing_frog : how heavy is your Sako and do you carry it in the woods or mostly still hunt? I'm trying to get an idea on how it will carry while on the stalk.

Thanks!

W
Wardman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hello All,

Thanks for the help above. I opted for the Sako Bavarian Carbine in .308. I topped it with a Swaro Z3 3x10 and cannot wait to get out and shoot it.

Wardman

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a class combo and and an even classier decision.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a beaut!

The Finns certainly know about building rifles that can handle extreme wet. My friend drags around his Tikka 695 338WM Hunter for 15 odd years in the rough stuff, & has dropped more Deer than any rifle I know about....
The timber is flawless!

Taking my rifle for a walk
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prettiest rifle on the market, the Bavarian carbine. The Finns just know about building rifles full stop - and they have to be the undisputed greatest nation of rifleman on the planet.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry did'nt see your question. In 270Winchester, the model i own weight 3,25kg controled on my scale, so around 7,15lbs, add the weight of your scope and mount, you have an idea of the real weight.
I mostly stalk, i'm 55 years old and the weight don't bother me at all.

Hope it help you.

Dom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.