Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One thing we all must remember about the whole brazed bolt handle topic is that brazing is generally the strongest method that is used to keep double barreled guns together. Most of them are just silver soldered, and yet I don't see too many double barreled sxs and O/u guns flying apart when fired. Whether it's welding, soldering or brazing- a poorly done job can fail.

The sheer number of m700 actions made since 1962 would dictate that a few would be around that were not done correctly.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
$1800 for a bolt fix procedure? Am I reading that correctly? In the end you still have a Remington action for more than a BAT, Surgeon, Stiller, or just about any other custom action. Whats the point?

I spoke with Surgeon a couple days ago. They have 1086's in stock, magnum bolt face and M16 Extractor. I also found a BAT HR available. When I ran this by my 'smith made a similar comment to Ackleyfan's. The Surgeon may be a good action, but it is not a BAT.
My Bat HR, complete with integral 20 MOA rail shipped today. We are sending it back to BAT for the Melonite treatment.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by tucsonan
BAT= Bruce A Thom, the owner

Exactly, and a very good friend of mine. If I wanted a Remington clone this would be it.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have my bolt handles tigged by Dan Armstrong. www.accu-tig.com. Ship to Alaska and have it back in a week. My 2 BR rifles are Bats and although very nice they are not near as smooth as my Grandson's Stiller Diamondback drop port.
Another Grandson's mod 600 bolt.
[Linked Image]
It was tigged by Dan Armstrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
butch,
I have several from that guy in ak.
He does very good work.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butch - the knob looks like my Alpine and straight also, nice looking. Did you flute it btw? What trigger and bottom metal did you use on that? Nice. Oh, what is the slot in the bolt head? Extractor mod?

RD- Too Funny, maybe I should have kept blue tape in my 'Rifle Medic' box smile

Jim - true, maybe not alot - but if the one does in your hand - and it's while you are on an expensive hunt or in the outback....it won't be a good day is all I can say.

Re: shotgun bbls, I don't recall the bores being subject the same CUP/PSI 'SHOCK Treatment' that gets sent thru a bolt head...body/handle. It surely matters. I say that b/c my handle was separated upon firing, BEFORE I lifted it, it was Detached....

Just as Brazing may not be a bad process...it's the processING or ProcessOR that is to blame IMHO.

IF it matters (not a metallurgist) - my rifle was a Stainless, but I doubt that was the issue given so many SS models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just so you know the guy in AK will tig a m700 handle to.
Once done its not something you would have to worrie about ever again.

dave

[Linked Image]

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt there is more than one out there that would do a fellow proud. Personally I am very happy with my Defiance action. Both the order process and finished product were first rate. That Defiance makes many others "own action" speaks volumes,IMO.
APA gives a pretty good price on their made to spec action. (hint)

As to a polished up 700 vs. a custom comparison there are a lot of "depends" in that equation. But for a all out build there is no comparison,IMO.

Last edited by FVA; 12/23/11.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
All those processes are unnecessary if you send your bolt out to Lee24 Precession Riflesmithing like I did for his 700 bolt fix package. Process, which is proprietary in nature, includes removal of old handle and reattachment and is double sleeved. Price, which includes return shipping, $1800..... (bolt fluting and Sako extractor mod are extra).
$1800 for a reworked 700 action; surely you jest...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two defiance.
One on the way.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the action........just the bolt. Remember, Lee24 Precision Riflesmithing is the most prestigious gunmaker in the world. He is also the most prestigious bridge builder, civil engineer, pilot, rifle shooter, car designer, aircraft ballistic armour designer, wood smith, hiker, Automation, process design, process control, logistics, ocean shipping, automobile assembly, aerospace manufacturing, medical device R&D, product design, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, chemical, real-time systems, DSP, operating systems development, BIOS, encrypted transactions, EFT, expert systems, AI, robotics, remote control, military AUV, submarine AUV, airborne AUV, mechatronics, large-scale systems integration, imaging, theater C3, software development and program management.

- engineered skyscrapers (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, site drainage, etc), ponds, dams, small bridges, as well as medical devices, computers, cell phones, firearms, tools, farm machinery, military aircraft and automobile components, chemical and polymer plants, and a wide array of other retail products and manufacturing process development. I have worked in 32 states, as well as overseas.

- a consulting engineer who develops, among other things, weapons systems, from hunting rifles to attack helicopters, as well as composite armor to defeat it, from the 9mm handgun to 155mm sabot round.

in his spare time he's fired

-600,000 rounds I have fired in competition and practice

- I included the 45 years of hunting and 400,000 handgun rounds in there.

- I just renewed my hunting license for the 40th year.

- I grew up on a cattle ranch, and had spent 1,000 nights under the stars before I was 21.

- I grew up in the hardwood business, providing veneer grade walnut and oak to the furniture industry. I have been building furniture and gunstocks as a hobby for 35 years.
- I have a shop full of all sorts of walnut, some of it air drying for over 20 years. Having designed 3, 4 and 5-axis CNC machines for woodworking, I have had the opportunity to see and cut a lot of woods.

- BTY, the National Geographic Channel had a 3-part series on one of my projects just recently. We are still adding to it.

-I was asked earlier, in another thread, if I worked for FN, and answered that I was a consultant, had been in the facility, knew engineers, but had never been paid to work for FN (but I have worked for other firearms manufacturers).

-I merely offered to post some pictures of Model 70s manufactured in SC - some taken by me...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man, that's my guy! Why am I doing my own stuff. Thanks sooo much for the wakeup call RD.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
If the remington is blueprinted theyre is not a nickels worth of diff! Save you money and buy good scopes.

I have both and I'm not buying it, and $200 will get you a basic bluprint, but still won't have more resale value...custom actions offer tighter and straighter tolerences,some come with 1 pc bolts, better fire control systems including guided fireing pins which are sized perfectly for the hole in the bolt face, scope mounting holes that are aligned with the center line of the bore, and some offer 8-40 screw holes for added strength, try and have all the bells and whistles added to a 700 and see how close they are to a custom ....you get what you pay for!

VERY few, and you will pay dearly. It doubled the price of my Defiance to get a one piece bolt.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Defiance and surgeon have 1 pc handles as do Bordens more expensive Rimrock actions the rest are brazed on handles.

Borden does not make an action with a true one-piece bolt. His bolt handles are silver brazed on. What is one-piece on his bolts is that the lug end isn't soldered on like a 700.

More bolt handles are broken off in luggage than any other way. Don't leave the bolts in your guns when you travel via commercial airlines. They weren't made to support gorillas banging on them!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Defiance and surgeon have 1 pc handles as do Bordens more expensive Rimrock actions the rest are brazed on handles.

Borden does not make an action with a true one-piece bolt. His bolt handles are silver brazed on. What is one-piece on his bolts is that the lug end isn't soldered on like a 700.

More bolt handles are broken off in luggage than any other way. Don't leave the bolts in your guns when you travel via commercial airlines. They weren't made to support gorillas banging on them!

Dennis that seems to be the case, must have changed recently as the Rimrocks use to be a true 1 pc handle and bolt body, I guess stiller Defiance and surgeon have that market cornered!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
borden rimrock action did at one time have a one piece bolt and bolt knob and took a really long time to make so Jim went to the system he has know.

gene

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I'd don't see the necessity for a complete 1 pc. bolt on a hunting rig and certainly not for the paper punchers. For military applications, fine...If the mating surfaces of the bolt body and bolt handle mate perfectly, are prepped right and silver soldered or brazed correctly, they aren't coming off.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Personally I'd don't see the necessity for a complete 1 pc. bolt on a hunting rig and certainly not for the paper punchers. For military applications, fine...If the mating surfaces of the bolt body and bolt handle mate perfectly, are prepped right and silver soldered or brazed correctly, they aren't coming off.

Blue taped and brazed....and the military would be good to go!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget about the Borden "Bumps".................. grin

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Don't forget about the Borden "Bumps".................. grin

Not going to ask how lee24 installs those on your bolts!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.