Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If the chambers are different enough to require different die settings, then I use different brands of brass and have separate FL dies, one per rifle.

Mostly I try to avoid having more than one rifle in a given caliber at a time.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I too mark the ammo boxes. There is never a need to sort them there after.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/24/11.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You could get two different colors of plastic ammo boxes from Midway. They sell smoke, blue and red colored 50 rd boxes.
Otherwise I use Federal cases for one rifle W/W for the other and Remington for the third. Lake City for the AR-15.
I have four .223 rifles and this is how I do it.
I use small base dies for the AR-15 and full length everything else. I shoot 40 gr V Max in my Winchester Model 70, and the kid likes 50 gr Speer TNT. The AR-15 likes 52 gr Sierra Match Kings.
I flip flop back and forth with the other rifle. It looks like a twister went through my loading area some days. I don't care for ice fishing anymore and our winters are long so I have the time for messing around.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Orion2000 had it right... In order to keep my brass separate I found a chemical for blackening brass at my hobby store and I soak the brass for one rifle in this for a few seconds and tumble it. There is no doubt which rifle that brass belongs to.

You can use any of the cold bluing chemicals to blacken brass, but they are fairly expensive. If you Google �blacken it�, you will come up with a chemical used to blacken items for hobbyists. It is also used to antique brass for old house remodelers. There is a similar chemical used to blacken the copper used in stained glass. I find that after a good degreasing of your brass, a quick dip in this stuff and then a rinse in cold water is all that it needs. Then, 15 minutes in the tumbler gives you a darkened, but clean brass that is very easy to separate from another rifle�s bright brass.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
7 - .308s??? Wow!
How do you decide which to take?
I am sure they all shoot well if you handload.
Do you use days of the week? Monday=#1, Tuesday=#2, etc?
I am truly impresses!

2 b 1 ask 1 !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mark the rim with a small cut from a Dremal

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use those plastic flip top ammo boxes that hold 50 rounds. When one is empty, just put the next full one in its place while you reload the 50 cases from the one you just used up. I prefer loading 50 at a time versus 10 or 20 at a time here and there.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus folks continue to [bleep] baffle me on how complicated they make things. A dremal tool, TFF.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Federal cases for my 30-06, and WW for the wife's 30-06. Works fine.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by huntstat
I have a bunch of new Winchester brass for what has turned out to be two rifles of the same caliber. I want to keep both rifles and reload for both. I have been pondering on how best to mark some of the brass to identify it being associated with one of the rifles....regular brass being for the other. The only thing I can come up with is perhaps filing a mark on the bottom of the case. Anyone have a better way to mark brass for similar identification? Suggestions appreciated.

In the past, I have used nickel brass for one rifle and standard for the other. When I used the same type brass, I took a colored sharpie, say red, for example, and went around the primer in the cartridge to mark those loaded for rifle "A". Left the others without the red ring for rifle "B". It requires a visual check, but it was effective.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
In the past, I have used nickel brass for one rifle and standard for the other. When I used the same type brass, I took a colored sharpie, say red, for example, and went around the primer in the cartridge to mark those loaded for rifle "A". Left the others without the red ring for rifle "B". It requires a visual check, but it was effective.

One Brass, One Nickel, or One Win, One Rem. I have several rifles of the same caliber and both work fine.

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.