Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Its a bit more than a Leup but it has the euro focus that I like better. Has anyone used one?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IOR doesn't make a bad scope. You're in the Zeiss, Kahles, Leica world, clearly a step up from a 4X Leupie. Buy it, you'll be impressed. Think they have a 10% off sale through 12/31 on the IOR site, try a call.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IOR glass is as good as anything on the market, and in a different ballpark to the Leupold. But a friend had a disappointing experience with them regarding a poorly assembled scope, and i have read similar experiences online. But i think for a fixed 4x32, it is a risk i'd be willing to take, as assembly is really pretty simple - can't go too wrong, can it?

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I have had one on my 35 Whelen since 2005, bright, excellent resolution and I've had no issues.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IOR has some very interesting products. but it appears to me that they are the worst marketed optics maker there is in the US. I would love to see their products but no one carriers them and I live in a metro area of 2 million people. so how do I ever look at one.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
jimmyp, Leupold is updating it's lines and I read the new scopes will have the Euro type focus and better glass and will be priced the same as they were this year.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.valdada.com/

You can buy direct on line and a major seller in Texas carries many of their models.

Try to find anyone who actually owns any IOR who does not love it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
One usually buys a compact scope like this to save weight and for its simplicity. This scope weighs as much as "heavy" 3-9x40 variables...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes it does. Same reason a Mack Truck weighs more than a F150.

3-9s have more parts to break and everyone with a brain sets them at 4X and doesn't change it. As far as weight goes, almost all of us could drop 10 pounds off our gut and be better off, rather than worry about ounces of scope weight.

You can kill any big game animal, anywhere with a 4X IOR and then drive in your tent stakes with it.

Now if an IOR isn't rugged enough for you, go to http://kalinkaoptics.com/

Those who know, know where the Zeiss factory ended up after WWII. With these you don't need a finishing shot, you can beat the bear to death. (stick with the Mil-Spec models).

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've owned them. Two 1.1-4'sx that suddenly wouldn't hold zero, a 1.5-8x whose adjustments weren't consistent, and the SH Edition... What is most likely the biggest failure in scopes by a "major" optics manufacturer in recent history. How many generations are they on...?

Other then that... they're great!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah they are just junk, you should never buy another. Stick with what you know....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm curious as to your personal experience with IOR's and long range. Not some buddies experience or a play day at the range, but actual round counts, ranges, and durability (ie. field use). Please state model and Generation.

IOR's do have nice glass and offer features that very few to no other manufactures offer at the price. However, they also have had a dismal failure rate with some of their scopes also.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I cannot speak for the scope in question, but I do have years of experience with some of their tactical variables.
I currently own 3 IOR scopes and they are fantastic in their build quality, tracking, illumination, reticles and glass quality.
They are robust. They are also on the heavy side when comparing them to similar scopes by other manufacturers.

I would not worry yourselves with the "failure rate" discussed as long as new production (post 2008) is purchased.

I have personally not had an issue with an IOR scope and the 3 I own now are perfect for their hosts and my uses.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I can only speak of my experience with one scope IOR 4x32 I bought from the importer in colorado back in 2004. The optics are excellent but they are not in the same league as the top three. They are similar to kahles optically. They are built like a tank but heavy. They are slightly better optically than the leupold vxIII. Tracking was terrible not consistent or precise. If a rifle scope does not track perfectly I get rid of it I don't care how well the glass is. I bought a leu.4x and closed the chapter

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The general consensus is 50:50. I am going to wait and see what Leupold does with their 4X after the first of the year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's only 50/50 if:

you buy an old one OR

listen to people who don't own any contemporary IORs

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.