Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My wife says we are going to Scotland the last part of May. I agreed to go but told her that we have to go to Belgium for a couple of days so I can get some stoverij before we come home.

I am sure there will be a couple days in London but beyond that, I have no idea the agenda! I just hope I don't have to drive!

Any suggestions on places to see?

Dennis

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Edinburgh has best castle in the UK in my never to humble opinion.

Inverness is a very cool town and nearby to some very cool sights; Loch Ness, Urquhart castle, Culoden, the town of Dornoch and a few others

The drive from Fort William to the ferry at the south end of the Isle of Skye is beautiful, the Isle of Skye is fantastic

The Orkney Islands are fantastic if you have an interest in history from neolithic times onward. A company called Westtrak? Westtrek? on the Isle of Westray in the Orkneys is a great way to spend a day. My youngest son and I did a day of fishing in the Orknies which was a great deal fun. There are standing stones in Orkney not as large as Stonehenge but you can park and walk right up the ones in Orkney.

Distillery tours are a must.

Driving outside of the large cities is not that bad, it takes some time to get used to and you can never relax whilst behind the wheel.

Enjoy the trip. GRF

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some good ideas, thanks

My brother-in-law, who is going, lived and taught at Oxford for a few years so I am hoping he will do the driving if we can't get somewhere by train.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
May looks like a perfect time for some Roe Deer Buck stalking. I'm just saying... whistle

Roe Deer Stalking

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Can you say... Driven pheasant shoot?

Of course, the timing may be all wrong...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
It has been made perfectly clear to me that there will be NO shooting of any kind on this trip! I might get away with some fishing but unless someone else wants to, that is out too!

I am thinking some hiking, castle sight-seeing, historical sites and maybe some awesome eateries. My last trip to the UK was rather unfulfilling with regards to eating. I think the worst fish & chips I have ever had were at a pub in London! I am hoping I can find some more variety up north!

NRA Benefactor Member

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
No shooting? I thought this was a vacation... laugh

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
For her and her mother. I'm just along for the muscle.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
O I see... wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been to England twice and driving no problem there. Have driven down to Stonehenge, and from London UP though the center of the country to Scotland, walked on Hadrian's wall, etc. lots less traffic than anywhere here, unless you're in ND or some such place, lol. Drove around Ireland too, and same thing. Outside the towns, no or little traffic, or at least that was my experience.

Ghost
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My wife & I went to Scotland a couple years ago. Spent two days in Glasgo, ten a bus tour around the country and ended with a couple days in Edinburg. Beautiful country, great people.
Rosland Chapel, Coladan, the Lochs, the highlands, castles everywhere, and of course the distileries, must have a wee dram here and there.
Would go back for sure

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Don't know ahow long will be your trip but if you have time go north and tour the Northern Highlands. Very nice place with fantastic people, long and interesting history, good food even for a frenchman.
And the wildest country of all great britain and Scotland.

Enjoy your trip Dennis have some scotch, pure single malt, a beer or two and taste some haggish.

Dom

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Some good ideas, thanks

My brother-in-law, who is going, lived and taught at Oxford for a few years so I am hoping he will do the driving if we can't get somewhere by train.

+ 1 on the train. At least from London to Edinburgh. We broke up that leg of our journey with overnight stop in York. Nice town to stay in.

When I went to Europe I absolutely enjoyed riding the train. Ireland was the only country where we rented a car. It wasn't that big of a deal driving on the wrong side of the car/road outside of the big city.

I would have liked to have seen more of Scotland but it wasn't in the plans. Glasgow was the only other city we stayed at. Pass on that one.

Have fun and enjoy the sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand there are some great distillery tours. That should help the mood of a captive traveler.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It also helps to see Nessie at Loch Ness after a distilery tour smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spent quite a bit of time in Western Europe and rode trains thousands of miles. In 2002, I took my wife to England, France and Belgium. We had a grand time in England- staying in B&Bs. I was afraid of the "chunnel" so we took the ferry across to Diepp. What a joke- there were no taxis and we had to carry our luggage all the way into town to the hotel! It was like 3/4 mile!

Best part of the trip was the fast train from Normandy to Paris and then to Brussels. Beats the helll out of an omnibus!

I hope that northern highlands are on the list. Time will tell.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would let her know that Loch Ness is not the only thing hiding a monster, and she better get lookin' if she expects you to make this trip

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Lots to see there but not everything is close together so a short stay will limit what you do. One or two days you're about stuck in Edinburgh. See the castle, take the double-decker bus tour, walk the Royal Mile, see the National Museum if you have any interest in Scottish or Celtic history. With more time you can get out of town, see Stirling castle, maybe do the Famous Grouse Experience Scotch whisky tour at Crieff which is up in the hills north of Stirling. Maybe take a one day bus tour to the Borders or to Loch Lomond. With more time you can drive or take the train up the West Highland Way to Fort William. Goes through Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe and you see some real highlands. Or beyond Fort William take the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig, maybe on across to Skye on the ferry. Or go to Oban on the west coast and take the ferry over to Mull. See Duart Castle or on to the holy island of Iona. Up north, Inverness town isn't much to see but the Culloden battle field is nearby and they have a fancy new visitors center. Some good distilleries near Inverness, including the famous Speyside area.
You can get some bad food in Scotland it's true but also lots of fancy gourmet food in Edinburgh and Glasgow and a few other places if you're willing to pay for it. Try Keeler's seafood or Dubh Prais in Edinburgh. Also, go to a good hotel and have a full Scottish breakfast including a kipper and eggs and maybe some haggis.

Last edited by Domhnall; 01/01/12. Reason: wrong word
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lovely country and a lovely people. They love americans but not our pesidents. We all kind of speak the same language, and there beer is heavy and dark and looks like a milkshake. Go way north as far as you can very low population, lots of hills and green. Can I go with you? I loved my last trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the Home of Golf!!!!!! laugh laugh Every golfer should take a pilgrimage to St. Andrews. Take your clubs. If you don't golf, learn before you go. grin

'Nuff said. Other reasons to go:

� home of Scotch, too crazy
� there is some excellent fishing to be had
� castles
� pubs

I'd pass on the haggis, though.

Last edited by John_G; 01/03/12.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.