Print Thread
Hop To
#5803203 11/11/11
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a used Ruger 96/44 that looks like brand new.There is not much if any discussion on here concerning these.This is the second one I have ever owned.I never should have gotten rid of the first one.I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but have high hopes for it.
These were made for 11 years starting in 1996.The one I got was manufactured in 1997.
Are there any more Ruger lever gun owners on here?

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one. I suppose it doesn't have the historical feel of a traditional lever, but there is something to be said for a lever that you can cycle with a flick of your fingers without taking your hand off the stock. And, I don't feel bad about putting a scope on it. It actually looks like it should have a scope on it. My 14 year old daughter adopted it as her hunting rifle this year. Light, accurate; I don't know why they didn't gain more of a following. I also like the fact that you can load and unload it in a flash if you are going in and out of a vehicle or walking down the road. That magazine is handy.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 96/44. It is a good 44 Magnum lever action rifle. While it isn't "traditional" like my Marlins and Winchesters, it is a handy, accurate rifle that has found a home.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have two including this sweet custom job. Very nice rifles except for the factory stock. [Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Strider
I have one. I suppose it doesn't have the historical feel of a traditional lever, but there is something to be said for a lever that you can cycle with a flick of your fingers without taking your hand off the stock. And, I don't feel bad about putting a scope on it. It actually looks like it should have a scope on it. My 14 year old daughter adopted it as her hunting rifle this year. Light, accurate; I don't know why they didn't gain more of a following. I also like the fact that you can load and unload it in a flash if you are going in and out of a vehicle or walking down the road. That magazine is handy.

Agreed!
I have several 96/44's. My favorite deer rifle for a long time and I like it better than any other lever out there.
Never liked levers where you had to shuck out shells one at a time to unload. What a pain when you're in/out of vehicles often.
When I heard they were discontinuing the 96/44, I bought another just to leave it in the box.
All wear Leup 1.5-5x heavy duplex with Leupold's ruger rings which are lower than factory Ruger low rings.

Accuracy has been dependant on the particual rifle. Some shoot fine, but one I had would not group well at all trying a large variety of ammo brands and bullet weights.

Love the 96/44.

Always hoping Ruger would make a lever in their 480, but I know that ain't gonna happen....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/21/11.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one and sold it. Sad day.Slickest lever action out there IMO. Just could not get pass the stock.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I totally agree about the use of magazine rifles for youngsters.

I have a BLR and a Winchester 88, and I had my kids use them for that very reason.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I sold one earlier this summer due to economical crunch. I sure wished I had it back...and those extra mags are $30 on the market! But, it was a great shooter and that short-throw lever is lightning quick. It loved the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I am still mad at me!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had this 44MAG since the 1990's and its a keeper!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
307 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.