CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#5993985 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: HOME! Wasilla, AK
Okay, here's one more pic of my ugly mug taken three days ago in my motorpool. That beast behind me is my truck.

RV 728 BP
#5994008 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Southern Oregon USA
Gee Matt... Too bad you couldn't take the truck home as Surplus...

looks like that thing would get you around the Alaskan wilderness pretty darn well...that thing is cool!

I run rigs harder than you can ever dream of, and have NEVER needed to replace valve cover gaskets as a routine maintenance item. Even under severe duty schedules.. Nor has ANYONE I've ever known.

UBER!!!

#5994012 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!

I run rigs harder than you can ever dream of, and have NEVER needed to replace valve cover gaskets as a routine maintenance item. Even under severe duty schedules.. Nor has ANYONE I've ever known.

UBER!!!

#5994449 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
BearKiller Offline

Loc: AFGHANISTAN / ALASKA
Just wanted to chime in and say he is one of if not the most deserving hunting partner I could ever ask for. I was lucky enough to assist Matt in harvesting his first Alaskan Black Bear last year before we both left for the "sand" together. Now I hope I can be blessed with him taking his first Alaskan Brown bear when we get back stateside. Much KUDO's to all who are participating in this!

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."

#5994507 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
NH K9 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: New Hampshire
I missed this thread yesterday. I picked up on it when it was linked in the Spano thread (another 10 minutes I'll never get back).

PM incoming.

George
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

#5994896 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
ltppowell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: SE Texas
Originally Posted By: Seafire
Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!

I think that is a GREAT idea.

Karl Marx

#5994974 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
mart Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Wasilla, Alaska
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart
"a large number of red blooded Americans have been striving to make us a Nation of Rifleman. We have succeeded. May we ever remain thus, for the privilege to bear, and the ability to use weapons is the greatest guarantee of Liberty." Townsend Whelen

#5994976 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
ChasR Online   content
Campfire Regular

The check is in the mail!! (I LOVE saying that! But, THIS time it's true!) I use Quicken so you'll see it around the 10th.

Thanks for doing the 'leg work' on this.

#5997107 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: mart]
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: mart
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart

Thanks Mart, I appreciate that. There's really nothing I need though. My family goes to Wasilla Christian and they do an excellent job of taking care of my wife and kids while I'm gone. They send me goodies too. I bought my wife a fourwheeler with a plow during my first deployment, but she never had to use it. One of the men from the church was always over plowing our driveway after every storm. cool

#5998302 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Far Northstate Calif
My check went out today in time to make the last pick-up at 5:00. I am honored to participate.

Another option that could be considered, in order to get a good 35 Whelen, would be to order a Shaw rifle to Matt's specs.

Let's try to keep this thread on the front page.

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra

#5998764 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]
raybass Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Montgomery, Tx
Has an action been picked yet? Like others I have the little stuff laying around that may help. Rings bases and so on.

#5998771 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: raybass]
Karnis Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: TX & WV
Howzabouda Remington 700 Classique? Little cerakote, different furniture, some QRW's. Haven't priced a Classique but may be an option. Eh?

Edited by Karnis (01/04/12)

#5998797 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Karnis]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Matt requested a Marlin XL 7, since he owns several of them as I gather... one in an 06 and then also a short action, I think he said 243...

he has given me the desired specs of the barrel...

now I just need to wait for the funds to start being received in the mail..

He also would just like to duplicate the scope he has on his 30/06, which is a Redfield 3 x 9 with the circle x reticle...

Several members have FFLs and are offering the rifles to be secured for their cost plus shipping...

Matt and I have also spoken on whose barrel he would like, and he is not particular....

he'll be home in May, and I'd like to have this done and available to him by then...

several other guys have also offered reloading dies and some left over bullets from their Whelans...

tomorrow morning this endeavor will be only 72 hour old.. and it has come together quickly...

I have been returning PMs as fast as I can, schedule permitting..I am also putting my mobile phone number on those PMs in case anyone desires to call me regarding the project here..

per the suggestion of another forum member, we are also going to start a second project for a forum member who has not been back from the 'Stan very long at all...

Will try to keep folks posted on this..and its progress..

it would be great if anyone knows how to ask management to allow this to stay as a sticky...help would be appreciated..

best regards
john chr
seafire

UBER!!!

#6000213 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Regular

BTT

Yogi Berra

#6000268 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]
HugAJackass Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: AL, USA
Just saw this!

You guys all know this is near and dear to my heart, absolutely count me in!

PM Sent

Turdlike, by default.

#6000277 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: HugAJackass]
AkMtnHntr Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Alaska
PM sent Seafire.

Steelhead

#6000596 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AkMtnHntr]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Well guys, an update from my end...

have to admit I have burned up a lot of time returning emails...
this has been very time consuming, and I have BEEN LOVING every second of this...

Steve 7x57 has given me the theme for this endeavor when he said "its the best money I have spent all year!"

I really believe that...both financially and with my personal time... talk about a small price to pay for such a good cause!

but I also have to publicly admit, doing this has brought me close to tears...I mean I know 24 hour is a place where there is a good crowd here...and I knew that their generosity would step forward... but you guys have just blown me away...

I must admit that something in the heating ducts at home must have been causing me some allergies.. I keep getting all this teary eyed reactions... must be near the computer that I am getting these allergies... at times, I have to walk away just to get my composure back...

When this all gets together within the next week or so, I'll try to figure out how to report this to the group, its progress, how much was received...

if anyone has any questions or comments, I have posted my mobile phone to be contacted if anyone prefers that method over PMs..

it has only been 72 hours since this got started, but the results have been staggering... and I for one, want to thank each and everyone one of you gentlemen for stepping up and showing a soldier serving our country our appreciation in some small way...

wish we were wealthy enough to do something like this for each individual that we find 'in need'...

I salute you guys... with AWE and APPRECIATION!

thank you for allowing me to be a small part of this wonderful endeavor!

best regards
seafire

UBER!!!

#6000695 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
Karnis Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: TX & WV
Always better to give than to receive and you've given alot.

Let's see:

1. Ideer.
2. Time.
3. Gathering & counting.
4. Posting updates.
5. Taking calls.
6. Making calls.

I can see how the allergies have kicked in when you've committed so much to an idea and see every ones reaction as validation of #1. Your doing good, actually gooder than good. grin

For me it's like Christmas all over again. A a bunch of Santas helping out, knowing darn well what the reaction is going to be when the perfect gift is unwrapped.

Woooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a Red Skelton jump and wiggle.

#6001873 - 01/05/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Karnis]
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Regular

I just love that truck! What a brute.

Matt, be careful when you get home and transition into normal vehicles. My son-in-law spent a year driving humvees and the first week he was home he high-sided his Isuzu Trooper cutting across a vacant lot. LOL

Yogi Berra

#6002056 - 01/05/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular

Every time I come home from a deployment, I notice my wife leaning over and peeking at the speedometer occasionally. I get so used to poking along scrutinizing every piece of trash that I find it hard to drive the speed limit. 45 or so in a 65 is about the norm until I get used to it. crazy The hardest part is resisting the urge to drive way around every broke-down vehicle since to me it represents a potential VBIED.

I just want to take a sec to express my heart-felt gratitude to all of you folks who have participated in this project. And especially to SeaFire. It's never happened to me before and I find myself in awe of the generosity of so many who have never even met me. All of you enthusiastically offered your time, money and posessions simply because of my chosen profession. It means a LOT to me and I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. This will be a rifle that I will someday be proud to pass on to my son.

By the way, Nifty two fifty - do you ride motorcycles? The "high-side" reference clued me in. wink

#6002512 - 01/05/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Well today I was over at Sportsman's and have lined up a Marlin Stainless Long Action. We are getting such a deal on it, that it is less than I can have one purchased at cost by a few members with FFLs, and then shipped and then paying the 'fees' that are always attached to it...

The scope Matt expressed interest in is already on the way, courtesy of a fellow Alaskan who desire to remain anonymous..
and then was apologizing he couldn't do more!!! Its also a brand new one in the box, not a handmedown donation...

I'm going to ask Matt in PM a couple more questions of how he'd like this thing to be in the end.. got some help on standby with some custom stock work if he desires...

after that is the barrel ( the original idea.. grin)

and then just the wait for it to come together...

with that being done, then I will be focusing on contestant number 2....

I still feel immaterial in this project... as this is a labor of love if no other better way to describe it...

but the rest of you gentlemen have done this web site proud!, darn proud... and it is a personal privilege to be on the same board as you gentlemen...

UBER!!!

#6003042 - 01/05/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Regular

Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

Yogi Berra

#6003084 - 01/05/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: nifty-two-fifty
Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

That's too bad about the Shasta County man passing over here. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

I've been riding streetbikes for about 16 years now. I have somewhere between 100 and 200K miles on two wheels so far. My last bike was a pristine 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing. I logged about 7K miles on it this last summer. I never ride without all the protective gear. (ATGATT) I spent 23 years of my life in CA and I've ridden all over the state. I hope to someday ride down through Canada into CA to visit friends and family then back to AK.

I echo the elderly woman's sentiments. Thank you for your service! It's always nice to receive that support. It always seems the most heart-felt from the older generations too.

#6006474 - 01/06/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Bump for a good guy!

Matt doesn't deserve to be 3rd page, even if we have already gotten enough support for his dream rifle...

thanks
seafire

UBER!!!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on MEOPTA OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
590 registered (1Longbow, 1300, 17_wizzer, 12344mag, 204guy, 69 invisible), 1241 Guests and 396 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,293 Registered Members
72 Forums
688,099 Topics
9,939,835 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.