Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
the Link in Reloading Section...

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5982844/1/New_guy_dreaming_of_a_35_Whele

This is from a young soldier stationed in Afghanistan, who is from Alaska, who is "dreaming of a 35 Whelen" to pick up when he gets home from serving his country over there...

I made a proposal this morning on the Reloading Section when I saw this... there has been no response all day..

I know this is New Years day and folks are doing other things than hanging on 24HR...

However, I thought I would bring this up here to the Campfire Forum....

What I am proposing is for us to make this young soldier's dream come true, by we at 24 Hour come up with Donations and purchase a barrel for him, to be put on the action of his choice.....

I am committing $20.00 to the project to get it started...
I gives us an opportunity to show a little appreciation to one of our young soldiers, who is putting himself in harms way to serve his country... a million miles away from home and family.

If anyone desire to contribute or head this project, please PM me...if no one else wants to spear head this, I will be happy to... but it shouldn't take much from very many of us to make a young E5 have something he'd love to have...

Serving his country, where he is... he's already more than made his contribution to this...Matt, thank you for your service to your country...

cheers
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in. How much is a barrel?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That will work a great thing your doing here

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
pm sent

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know I'm in. laugh

Last edited by Karnis; 01/01/12. Reason: Diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I just saw this and followed your link. Matt sounds like a well deserving young man, especially his last post ##5988657.

Just let me know where to send the USPS MO.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in, I love doing these things. I think the last one we did was for Winnie1300?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd be in. Be a nice treat for someone away from friends and family for a year.

Last edited by prm; 01/01/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in.

This may well be the best money I spend all year.

Steve

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seafire,

I'm in. PM me to let me know what you need from me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in PM sent

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in since you guys were nice enough to help me!

PM sent.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Put me down for $20, PM details.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just got home from being out for family commitments this evening..

With no response on the Reloading forum, the first thing we have to do is get a response from Matt, the young E 5 in Afghanistan..

We need to know what kind of action he wants to put this on etc..

with an early response from so many, lets see when he picks an action, if we can have someone who can donate or knows where an action is, like he would like to have...

Thanks to all the guys who have already responded... its new years day and we are starting off the new year with 'doing the right thing' for a young deserving Soldier!

you guys rock!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mart
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

I think Wasillan plural is "valley trash". wink
I might have to enlist you to help me sight this thing in Mart!

I guess I would be the Matt in question. I'm at a loss for words here folks. Here's my reply to Seafire, so the action info is on here too:

Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt
LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt,

you've repaid our 'kindness' every day you get up, put on your uniform and serve your country... just like every other guy over there...

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the LEAST I can do for a veteran who is still serving in harms way...

I look at myself as really immaterial in all of this... but the response I have already had from fellow forum members and fellow vets.. all I can say is I am damn proud to hang out in the same circles as you guys... you guys are what is representative of what is RIGHT with our country...

Thank you to each of your gentlemen...

I told Matt, all he owes us, is a report on the first success of his Whelan when he gets back to the world and takes her out hunting...and to come home Safe.. like we hope all the boys over there in harms way will do...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I might even be able to share some success before the Whelen is done, with it's "little brother" Marlin 30-06. I'm hopefully going home in May for R&R leave. That's the best time to look for a spring bear. cool

I've got some 200 gr. Nosler Partitions loaded up that should work just fine on a black bear.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm in.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.