Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pm sent.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
PM sent.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just in case any of you want to see the lucky guy who is getting the Whelen.... a bigger version of that little thumbnail to the left:

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You let the air out of that bear! shocked

laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Seafire, when you get the details set on where to respond, let me know. I'm in for this good cause.

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seafire
If he is gonna reload, I've got a set of Lee dies to contribute.
May have some bullets as well.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Seafire, when you get the details set on where to respond, let me know. I'm in for this good cause.

Yeah, like Mannlicher said! Count me in. Let me know where and how to send funds.
US Army RVN - 1970-1971

Last edited by CRounds; 01/02/12. Reason: Date Correction!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Originally Posted by mart
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

I think Wasillan plural is "valley trash". wink
I might have to enlist you to help me sight this thing in Mart!

I guess I would be the Matt in question. I'm at a loss for words here folks. Here's my reply to Seafire, so the action info is on here too:

Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt
LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

Matt,

Just give a shout when you want to go to the range. I work a week on/week off schedule so can hit the range during the week when there is not so large a crowd if that works for you.

This was a great idea Seafire. Thanks for starting it.

Mart

Last edited by mart; 01/02/12.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

I think Wasillan plural is "valley trash". wink
I might have to enlist you to help me sight this thing in Mart!

I guess I would be the Matt in question. I'm at a loss for words here folks. Here's my reply to Seafire, so the action info is on here too:

Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt
LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

Matt,

Just give a shout when you want to go to the range. I work a week on/week off schedule so can hit the range during the week when there is not so large a crowd if that works for you.

This was a great idea Seafire. Thanks for starting it.

Mart

Sounds good to me, we tend to get a fair amount of time off when we get home from a deployment. I assume you're talking about birchwood - I may go ahead and spring for a membership again since the Wasilla range seems to have fallen through.

That bear was the best meat I've ever tasted!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am a member at Birchwood. There is the range out north of Willow on the Parks but I don't know the name of it or the contact information, or if it is even still in operation.

Mart

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've driven by it a few times, but I've never seen anyone there. I just assumed it was closed. I think it's a bit farther than birchwood.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is a bit farther than Birchwood but probably less crowded. I have never seen anyone there either. I should post that question on the Alaska Outdoors Forum and see if anyone knows the status of that range.

Mart

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Count me in.

PM sent.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm in! Will you keep us updated here on the build he wants? (I may be interested in donating a scope, bases/rings, or something else depending on the gun!)

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Before I logged on here, I had sent a message to Wild West Guns asking about the cost of the build. He replied today telling me that re-barreling the Marlin would be almost four times the price of the rifle. I still can't believe ya'll are doing this for me. I'm gonna need adresses for everyone involved so I can at least send a thank you card or something. So whose up for some moose jerky? confused

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm in. Pleae tell me where to send the cunds.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think most any one of us would gnaw on a stick or two. grin

What's happening here has happened in different variations/themes. There are too many gentlemen on this forum to list that have helped others. Frankly, I'm not sure there is any other innanet forum that has the quality of folks than here.

I've made more than one life long friend by joining and spend 99% of my rifle looney time here (much to others chagrin eek ).

Stay awhile if you would, we need to add to the ranks.

Stay safe and get yer azz back home.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a friend of mine in the Army in AK, Ft Richardson, whose husband is back in [bleep], they are great couple. Love to help this nice Soldier too. Please let me know where to send some funds! Otis!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just finally read this and realized what the title meant....I'm in. Let me know where to send and what the tariff is to cover the costs.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a member at Birchwood. There is the range out north of Willow on the Parks but I don't know the name of it or the contact information, or if it is even still in operation.

Mart

Mart,

If your talking about the range on the right hand side going towards Talkeetna, it's still in operation, the name escapes me though.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (10Glocks, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.