Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'm considering moving my current AR scope to a bolt action and trying one of these out. There are a lot of AR marketed scopes out there now, but with the Mark 8 at $3000, it's not all reasonable. I'm considering the 2.5-8x Nikon M223 or the Luppy Mark AR 3-9. I lean towards the Nikon because I have a Nikon tactical on the gun now that is nearly perfect except it's big. And, the M223 2.5-8 is small. The Mark AR offers custom turrets and that's a puls because I do not shoot 55 gr at all. both scopes have BDC's tuned around the 55. I don't see that the Nikon offers any fix though.

Has anyone used either? I'd like to hear more about these specific scopes, especially relating to longer range shooting (past 400 yards).

ARIC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Can't help you past 400 yards, but I have a 3-9 Mark AR that has performed up to expectations. It is basically a VXII with the turret added. It is a sturdy scope with good optics, especially considering the price.

I found I could get better precision at all ranges by sighting in at 300 yards and locking the dial at "3" than by sighting at 100 and locking it at "1". It was off a couple inches at 300 when sighted at 100. When sighted precisely at 300, the poi at 100, 200 and 400 is right on with 55 gr. bullets.

I have no experience with Nikons but am happy with the Mark AR so far for my recreational and hunting use.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got both a Nikon M-223 2-8x32 w/turret and a Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 mil dot w/ BDC turret.
The rifle is a RRA Coyote and I used the Nikon M-223 20 MOA mount. Nikon had a promotion this spring, buy the scope get the mount free. I wanted the 3-12x scope but they were out of stock so I went with the 2-8x. This scope fits the AR nicely, doesn't seem oversized for the gun.
The rifle is used for varmints/predators, currently running Ultramax 55 gr soft points. Zero for the range you are going to use it the most (ex. 200 yds) and the turrets are close enough. I haven't taken the opportunity to really stretch it out yet at long range.
I've got the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x on a long gun at this time, it has the BDC turret for 55 gr bullet and mil-dot reticle. It's a longer scope by a couple inches, and more expensive, retailing at $549.99. It's a great scope for smaller varmints like prairie dogs. Also with the Leupold you can get custom turrets made to match whatever ballistics you are shooting.
I think they are both great scopes for the money.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I looked more at the Nikon last night and saw they have a ballistics program to calculate drop for any caliber/bullet and it tells you the BDC for the round you're shooting, so that cements it a bit more.

ruffcutt- on the M223, what do you think of the turrets?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have the MK AR 3-9X and it works very well for me out to the 500.

I think they're a lot of scope for the money. Especially if you can find a used one.

Travis

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kletz, When Nikon came out with the M-223 series of scopes the first thing I thought was I'm putting one on my Savage Bolt .223! This rifle is 25 years old but was Kentucky windege all the way past 300 yards. Now that I have a Nikon M-223 3-12 Rapid Action Turret mounted on it it no linger sits in the back of my gun safe.
I have taken this rifle to shooting climics/events and guys have blown up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 600 yards using this rifle. I loaned it to a buddy to take to S. Dakota Prairie Dog shooting and he said it was amazing. So, go ahead and put it on your bolt action rifle, I think you'll be thrilled.
Glad you have also found Spot On Ballistic web site. Pretty amamzing all the data you can enter and get for your shooting needs. Best of all, FREE !
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Nikon M-223 2.5x8 on my 6.8 and it works great . Mount it shoot it with your own load and make your own drop chart .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer
I looked more at the Nikon last night and saw they have a ballistics program to calculate drop for any caliber/bullet and it tells you the BDC for the round you're shooting, so that cements it a bit more.

ruffcutt- on the M223, what do you think of the turrets?

I like the Nikon turrets, not overly large, easy to read, they do turn quite easy but it hasn't been a problem of them getting bumped off the selected setting. I like to walk prairie dog towns and shoot off a standing tripod, shots can be as close as a few yards or several hundred yards from shot to shot, the turrets are as advertised "Rapid Action".

Last edited by ruffcutt; 08/30/11.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I learned a lesson a couple hunting season ago. I had removed my Nikon Tactical from my AR to still hunt with irons, and to shed a little weight for the couple mile stalking. I got to a location to sit for a few hours so I pull the scope out of my backpack and remounted it. The elevation was off by a couple clicks, so I put it back to zero and within a few minutes a giant coyote came into view. I took aim and fired. I saw the impact kick up dirt under him and he stood looking around. I thought I shot clean through him, so I sent another, and another. After the third, he got wise and bolted. I walked away from the area and sighted in on a target and found I was hitting 10 MOA low. When I pulled the scope out, it twisted the turret nearly a full revolution. So lesson learned is to pull the bolt and check POA by bore sighting before shooting- or just leave the scope on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do wish it had lockable Turrets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the Nikon turrets have a zero stop?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.