Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
OP Offline
D
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRC, Dakota, Winchester, Kimber and CZ.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Weatherby

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Money no object , Empire or Dakota

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the forum. Good question. I personally like rifles made with Remington Model 700 receivers. (Even with money not being an object.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And of course Sako

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MRC, Dakota, Winchester, Kimber Those are high on my list, but I really like CRF.

I actually like Ruger a lot as well, not the smoothest actions or finest wood or other features, but built like a tank and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaser or Merkel .

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger offers some solid value with their hawkeye m77 rifle, and it's built here...

Sako deserves a mention when quality rifles are being discussed... and don't forget their sister line, Tikka...

check out the Forbes rifle... it's a production grade copy of the NULA custom...

with those you already mentioned, these make for a pretty good list to consider...
there are others that are out of production, but are terrific values, such as the FN Brownings...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deerhunternc
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

We were all were in that position at one time.

The bottom line is just about every major,long lived brand of rifles makes perfectly good hunting arms. Truly.

Sure, some turds get out the door from time to time, but that happens with any brand. The important thing is you get a rifle that suits YOU.

I advise handling and shooting as many of your top choices as possible. Then make a choice that fits your budget.

FWIW,the Remington m700(?) in a 7mm cartridge as you now own is many folks idea of the ideal bolt actioned hunting rifle.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by jim62; 01/04/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dollar for dollar.....CZ

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My safe has a mixed bag from most of the major makers. They all have the pros and cons, all have their place. Thought about selling off a few to fund something new, but couldn't think of what one I'd really like to get rid of.

Next factory rifle I plan on buying will be a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 Ruger or a Kimber Classic Select in .257 Roberts. My preference is classic lined stocks and wood/blued.

Like others have said, buy what you like, what feels right to you, not what others say is the best.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nosler custom

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
money no object and anything I want? it would be Savage and Ruger.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester.

The original international turd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooper.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pleases me to see the American made rifles getting mention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
Pleases me to see the American made rifles getting mention.

For sure. And I would cast another vote for Kimber being as I am the proud owner of both Cooper and Kimber. Really great rifles.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Cooper.
I sat at a campfire with Ken Howell and he changed my mind on Cooper rifles.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mosin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anything that says Remington 700 on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first centerfire was a Sako Finbear Classic. My best friend replaced his Browning A Bolt with a Sako TRG. His dad got a Finbear Classic, and his brother got another TRG. They have never disappointed us. It's been a while, and the 75's and 85's have come along now. I've enjoyed mine for 25 years and if they're still as good, and they seem to be, I'd get another.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger for me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a used donor Remington and have it redone by a qualified gunsmith not a metal butcher. You'll have about 200 to 300 dollars more in it than a new one. It will shoot which the factory rifle may do but probably not without sinking a lot of hours into it. I haven't bought a new factory rifle in over twenty years. Its a waste of time.

Ask Redneck.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 01/04/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Winchester or CZ

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sauer 202 lightweight.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I'm not the most qualified to answer this since money always HAS been an object for me. It usually is the greatest deciding factor in choosing a firearm. I do draw the line at pure junk though. I refuse to buy something if I know it won't last. In that case I simply save a bit longer or sell something I don't need so I can afford a better quality rifle.

Having said that, I have amassed a fair knowledge base of the quality, or lack thereof among the various "cheap" rifles. In my opinion, hands-down the very best quality "cheap" bolt-action rifle is Marlin's X series. I like them so much that I was recently given an opportunity to select any action for a custom rifle by some of you fine folks on this very forum. I probably could have selected just about any action I wanted. But I chose the Marlin. It is smooth, strong, reliable and accurate. My philosophy is: why pay more for a different brand just because it costs more? The Marlin performs just as good or better than just about anything else out there.

I do own a Ruger M77 Hawkeye all-weather in 22-250. It's the most expensive rifle I've ever owned. It's acceptably accurate, and my first controlled-round-feed action, but not nearly as smooth as the Marlin. In me Marlin has earned a life-long customer.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom264
Anything that says Remington 700 on it.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good exploratory question, interesting things will come out of it, but not a consensus! wink :lol:

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage Model 99. With the brass shell counter and rotary mag. They overflow with class from another era.

Seriously I would look at Winchester M 70's. Weatherby Sub-MOA's are great also.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another +1 on Remington

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without a doubt, if money isn't an object; Westley Richards.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Cooper.

Care to share Bart?

Was it the political bent of the owner or a mechanical issue?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From a middle class point of view: current SC mfg Winchester M70.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remington, Winchester, Sako, All great choices

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kend
And of course Sako

+1, it is what I choose.

Last edited by Mink; 01/05/12.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No question in my mind, the best is the Dakota 76. It's basically a super refined version of the pre-64 Winchester.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older Mannlicher Schoenhauer would be all time favorite. The newere ones deserve an honorable mention.

Custom Rem 700s do not count. The factory models with detatchable bolt handles and safety issues -- you jest!

1B

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
You write like a very mature and intelligent person for only 19. Thank you for composing a well written post without using text message type structure.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nosler, Cooper, Sako.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't own one - yet - but if money were no object, I would have a Kimber in the caliber of your choosing. There are a lot of others out there that are of equal quality. This is just my preference.

If you are talking in the more realistic price range, I can't really find fault with the Ruger 77s. Nice guns all the way around. Not that they don't occasionally produce a lemon perhaps, but you couldn't go wrong with one IMHO.

Stush
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako, Steyr, Cooper . . . In the $1500 to $3000 range are hard to beat. I really like my Thompson Center Icon as well. They are very well made, accurate, and affordable to the masses.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Three pages and not one mention of Browning. Make mine an A or X Bolt.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm really glad that we've been able to narrow it down grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems to be a lot of bolt action love in this discussion...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Coming from a long time Sako fan, they do not make rifles like they used to. I would have to repectfully remove Sako from that list. All other things aside, the question is the best built factory rifle, there isn't one better made than a Shiloh rifle from Big Timber, Montana.

They are a factory, but everything is hand fitted, and if you compare the workmanship of those guns, they would be more likely found in the realm of custom rifles...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think Sako and Steyr Mannlicher, but you need to carefully define "factory brand":...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be difficult to surpass the value of the Howa. I've yet to see one that was not accurate, well made and needed much work on it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sako, Kimber, and Ruger #1's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester and Kimbers are my favorite bolt guns. I also love the Marlin 1895 leverguns too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
It begins with an 'S' and doesn't end with an 'O'.

(clue: Old indian name.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two customs, Sakos, Cooper and owned a Weatherby or two, but for the money; my vote is on the Tikka.

Last edited by wadevb1; 01/05/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You could do a lot worse than sending the 700 you have to a good smith for a tune up, trigger, good barrel and stock job as well as buying good glass to go on top. Russ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mosberg!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pre 64 model 70's, Sako L-61's. I had a Cooper 56, didn't like the little cheap safety or the rattling magazine. Sold it and bought a couple L-61 Sako's The Sakos shoot as well as the Cooper.

Last edited by hanco; 12/02/16.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
money no object and anything I want? it would be Savage and Ruger.

You have issues. lol

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Can't say for sure, but Sako should be given a consideration. They're known for their accuracy and the barrel rebore people don't like to rebore their barrels because whatever steel they use in them is very tough.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Sako, Steyr, Cooper . . . In the $1500 to $3000 range are hard to beat. I really like my Thompson Center Icon as well. They are very well made, accurate, and affordable to the masses.

Totally agree on your choices, TC screwed the pooch with the ICON they should have kept it instead of that thing they now sell that replaces it

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cooper makes a nice rifle as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the one you shoot the best.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hanco, a stroll down memory lane? smile

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Sako

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Holland & Holland or Rigby..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may seem silly, but you first need to define what you consider as high quality. To me high quality means a combination of accuracy and dependability in adverse conditions. Fit and finish may look nice, but honestly it has little to do with how well the rifle functions on a hard hunt.

Many "quality" rifles chit the bed when used in adverse conditions. I'd say one of the most vulnerable areas of a rifle when it comes to functioning in adverse conditions is the trigger. Overly complex trigger designs are apt to lock up when exposed to water and debri.

So to me many "quality" rifles that work perfectly well in a tree stand or hunting blind aren't worth a hoot when hunting in wet and especially marine environments.

Finally, if money isn't an object I'd say look beyond factory rifles and consider having a custom built to your specs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RS308MX

He just wanted to think on it for a while before giving an answer. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paul_M

He just wanted to think on it for a while before giving an answer. whistle

Four years should do it!! grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder if anyone who shared their opinion four years ago would give a different answer today?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Weatherby

Yeah! This is the one.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Your ask is too general, you might try setting some parameters so that a concise answer can be given.

After all, a Rigby for rabbits is not really what one is looking for...be fun though.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Your ask is too general, you might try setting some parameters so that a concise answer can be given.

After all, a Rigby for rabbits is not really what one is looking for...be fun though.

Don't expect a reply. He ain't been online here since 12/16/2012.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Don't expect a reply. He ain't been online here since 12/16/2012.

It is 5.20am and I did not take time to check.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
JB is right , hanco ,you do dig for some old threads, must be cabin fever already!!!!!!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Winchester 70

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Here's what I look for in a hunting rifle:
Accuracy: speaks for itself
Handling: comes to shoulder naturally
Ergonomics: essential features are easy to use and find
Light weight: within reason 6.5 lbs is ideal to me
Good adjustable trigger: self-explanatory
Good caliber selection: not interested in wildcats or those I can't find ammo for
Good fit of parts

My choice based on the above is Tikka.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
4 Year old thread!
crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Riflesinc.com, Lex Webernick in Pleasanton, Tx or MG Arms in Spring Tx.

Small factories, both.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of the answers are those brands that produce thousands each year and many can be bought under $1000.

In my mind there is a sort of a middle tier of brands that cost about double that and includes the Weatherby, Tikka, some of the specialized Remington models like the Sendero, some others.

I think if you double that cost again you get into a class that produces far fewer rifles each year. I'd put CZ, HS Precision, Nosler, into that class. More that I haven't thought of yet.

'Best' is a very subjective term.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
4 Year old thread!
crazy

Still relevant though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At least as relevant as a lot of threads!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There is that.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sako 85

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimber....

I like CZ's and old Remingtons too though....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 Year old thread!
crazy

So this is what we do know that the election is over!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Weatherby

Yeah! This is the one.

Now, having said that, I must come clean and tell you that my go to hunting rifle is a M70 Featherweight Winchester in 30-06. I really couldn't afford the Weatherby at the time.

The Winchester was my choice and I rate it at second best. Thirty years ago I had two kids in college and couldn't justify the difference in cost for the rifle(s); Win being $325.00 and the Weatherby being $850.00. However, now at seventy-two years old the light weight of the Win is much more appreciated!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
4 Year old thread!
crazy

So this is what we do know now that the election is over!

No, we correct spelling.

Shazaam...the spelling-nazi strikes again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread is likely to hatch another dozen or so rifle looneys! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
With my limited experience.

Bolt Rifles Weatherby
Semi auto Springfield M21 Custom
Lever Turnbull

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Purdey
Holland and Holland
Rigby

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Marlin 1895G is a classic IMO. If you're ever lucky enough to run across the 1895GST (Talo)....don't worry about the $$, just buy it. You'll be VERY glad ya did!!

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Model 70's, Kimbers, Rugers.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since you premised that money is no object. I'd be inclined to take a nice Holland & Holland double rifle. Not that I can vouch for their quality first hand. I don't think this would be considered a "best value" rifle either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Rigby Mauser like the one they made for Jim Corbett, hold the inlay and engraving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Since you premised that money is no object. I'd be inclined to take a nice Holland & Holland double rifle. Not that I can vouch for their quality first hand. I don't think this would be considered a "best value" rifle either.

Those are custom, definitely not factory built.

I have a sako bolt action that is fine, but have my eye on picking up a Blaser. Seems german precision makes for a great factory rifle.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Without a doubt, one of the Nosler rifles.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Weatherby

Yeah! This is the one.

Now, having said that, I must come clean and tell you that my go to hunting rifle is a M70 Featherweight Winchester in 30-06. I really couldn't afford the Weatherby at the time.

The Winchester was my choice and I rate it at second best. Thirty years ago I had two kids in college and couldn't justify the difference in cost for the rifle(s); Win being $325.00 and the Weatherby being $850.00. However, now at seventy-two years old the light weight of the Win is much more appreciated!

Ha. I have stopped toting a thin barreled heavy WBY mag killer for a pre-64 243 Win fwt or a nosler custom light weight rifle.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Cooper.

Care to share Bart?

Was it the political bent of the owner or a mechanical issue?

For me it was the tiny groups on the sticker-shot at 50 yds.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Without a doubt, one of the Nosler rifles.

This^^^. Stainless steel cerakoted Lilja ltwt tack driver.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 Year old thread!
crazy

No, we correct spelling.

In my defense, it was a typo, not a spelling error. But thanks!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are we talking brush gun? Long range? Short range? Tree stand? Ground blind? Thumper? Light kicker?

It's very complicated.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Are we talking brush gun? Long range? Short range? Tree stand? Ground blind? Thumper? Light kicker?

It's very complicated.

How much we spending?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We probably have enough opinions to fill a library here, but I'm over 80 years old and have been hunting most of my life. After owning several different brands, my out-of-the-box, reasonably priced accurate rifle would be the Tikka Lite T-3 in either a .270 or 30-06 calibre. I use the .270 for Deer or wild Boar and I use a .30-06 for Elk This may be my last year hunting, because of my knees, but I couldn't have found better all around Big Game rifles.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
can't believe so many people bite on a 4 year old thread. laughing

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rondrews
We probably have enough opinions to fill a library here, but I'm over 80 years old and have been hunting most of my life. After owning several different brands, my out-of-the-box, reasonably priced accurate rifle would be the Tikka Lite T-3 in either a .270 or 30-06 calibre. I use the .270 for Deer or wild Boar and I use a .30-06 for Elk This may be my last year hunting, because of my knees, but I couldn't have found better all around Big Game rifles.

Who needs knees? Get a nice Mule or Gator and shoot 'em in comfort!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'd rather somebody take their time to offer an opinion on a four year old question than type this stupid schit.

"Laughing"

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd rather somebody take their time to offer an opinion on a four year old question than type this stupid schit.

"Laughing"

Dave

Agreed.....

What's the harm...if you don't like it hit the back button.........

Or start another "new" thread bitching about the gubment.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must've missed my post about your welfare over the situation below. So, to reiterate...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not enough experience with different rifles to know what's best and being lh, & born poor just not enough chance to experiment with different rifles of different makes

Will say I feel I've been well served by my Rem 700's though both have been worked on, one extensively to lighten it up

I'm with 458 Lott, function over style hands down for me

I've been lucky, I've hunted hard in inclement weather a fair amount

I've never not brought home game by being let down by one of my rifles

They've performed admirably in situations many would find would fall under the terms of abuse of a rifle

Wish I'd boutght the nula many years before I did. Don't know if it counts as production or custom, but lord is it a sweet package that shoots lights out

All I know for certain about rifles is there's no better feeling in the world to be headed into new country with a rifle that's proven itself in hard use and accuracy

My lord what a feeling to crest a mountain you've never climbed before or float around a bend on a river you've never run before armed with a rifle thats up to the task

No matter the inscription upon the barrel

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
4 Year old thread!
crazy

No, we correct spelling.

WAIT A MINUTE!!

I'm supposed to be the spelling Nazi here!

And no quarter is given for typos!

XXXOOOXXOOXXO, Poobs

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

"Laughing"

Dave

You seem very contentious lately...

GFY.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
4 Year old thread!
crazy

No, we correct spelling.

WAIT A MINUTE!!

I'm supposed to be the spelling Nazi here!

And no quarter is given for typos!

XXXOOOXXOOXXO, Poobs

Big Smile! Big Smile!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Maybe not the best and certainly not the most graceful looking Rifles in the form they come in, but Howa's have one of the smoothest actions of any commercial rifle I've handled.

There's been talk of them offering a left hand version.

If they do I'll be buying one.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
2L2Q, you said it all. Going into new country w/ a rifle you trust still rings my chime more than anything.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am also partial to the quality, accuracy, and affordability of the Steyr Forrester rifles with the safe bolt system. I have three. .300 Win Mag; 6.5X55 Swede; and a stainless .260 Rem. All three exude understated quality, functionality, and hunt ability.

[Linked Image]
.300 Win Mag

[Linked Image]
6.5X55 Swede

[Linked Image]
.260 Rem

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 Year old thread!
crazy

No, we correct spelling.

Isn't it shazam?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Maybe not the best and certainly not the most graceful looking Rifles in the form they come in, but Howa's have one of the smoothest actions of any commercial rifle I've handled.

There's been talk of them offering a left hand version.

If they do I'll be buying one.

Best bang for the buck without question.

"Best" might be a stretch. Budgets aside.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You seem very contentious lately...

GFY.

Comes with age.

I'm sure you can relate.

GFYA.

(The A stand for again)

Clark

Last edited by deflave; 12/04/16. Reason: Clarification

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Some of these old threads are very interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weatherby

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Old thread, money no object, Holland or Rigby best quality magazine rifle, I'll take one of each please, 275 Rigby and 505 Gibbs ought ta do it. cool

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm thinking one of them pretty nosler 7x57 rifles with the 24in barrel

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

No, we correct spelling.

Isn't it shazam?

What, is it really a word!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not factory but this is probably the most bang for the buck I've gotten in a while.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not factory but this is probably the most bang for the buck I've gotten in a while.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

does`nt shoot worth a shyt when you bring the wrong ammo grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gun Geezer: When you get old it's easy to get into a Mule or ATV, but what happens if you shoot a deer or Elk? You need to drag it out, gut it, load it up, etc. Have a little pity on us ancient critters with worn-out knees from Marching up and down hills in the Marines.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rondrews
Gun Geezer: When you get old it's easy to get into a Mule or ATV, but what happens if you shoot a deer or Elk? You need to drag it out, gut it, load it up, etc. Have a little pity on us ancient critters with worn-out knees from Marching up and down hills in the Marines.

Find a big strong (helps if he is a little slow) local lad and mentor him into the hunting fraternity...make sure to praise his strength and physical prowess whilst leaving him in no doubt you were once bigger, stronger, and better...but also allow him the glimmer of hope he might eventually measure up in your eyes.

You should get at least twenty years service out of the twit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If workmanship, fit and finish, and follow up support are the key criteria, I'd go with Shiloh Sharps. One will likely have to go to a custom builder or order from Europe to equal their work.

1Minute
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

"Laughing"

Dave

You seem very CONSTIPATED lately...

GFY.

Thought you could spell, huh? Now GFY

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a nice rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.