Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt requested a Marlin XL 7, since he owns several of them as I gather... one in an 06 and then also a short action, I think he said 243...

he has given me the desired specs of the barrel...

now I just need to wait for the funds to start being received in the mail..

He also would just like to duplicate the scope he has on his 30/06, which is a Redfield 3 x 9 with the circle x reticle...

Several members have FFLs and are offering the rifles to be secured for their cost plus shipping...

Matt and I have also spoken on whose barrel he would like, and he is not particular....

he'll be home in May, and I'd like to have this done and available to him by then...

several other guys have also offered reloading dies and some left over bullets from their Whelans...

tomorrow morning this endeavor will be only 72 hour old.. and it has come together quickly...

I have been returning PMs as fast as I can, schedule permitting..I am also putting my mobile phone number on those PMs in case anyone desires to call me regarding the project here..

per the suggestion of another forum member, we are also going to start a second project for a forum member who has not been back from the 'Stan very long at all...

Will try to keep folks posted on this..and its progress..

it would be great if anyone knows how to ask management to allow this to stay as a sticky...help would be appreciated..

best regards
john chr
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTT

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just saw this!

You guys all know this is near and dear to my heart, absolutely count me in!

PM Sent

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent Seafire.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well guys, an update from my end...

have to admit I have burned up a lot of time returning emails...
this has been very time consuming, and I have BEEN LOVING every second of this...

Steve 7x57 has given me the theme for this endeavor when he said "its the best money I have spent all year!"

I really believe that...both financially and with my personal time... talk about a small price to pay for such a good cause!

but I also have to publicly admit, doing this has brought me close to tears...I mean I know 24 hour is a place where there is a good crowd here...and I knew that their generosity would step forward... but you guys have just blown me away...

I must admit that something in the heating ducts at home must have been causing me some allergies.. I keep getting all this teary eyed reactions... must be near the computer that I am getting these allergies... at times, I have to walk away just to get my composure back...

When this all gets together within the next week or so, I'll try to figure out how to report this to the group, its progress, how much was received...

if anyone has any questions or comments, I have posted my mobile phone to be contacted if anyone prefers that method over PMs..

it has only been 72 hours since this got started, but the results have been staggering... and I for one, want to thank each and everyone one of you gentlemen for stepping up and showing a soldier serving our country our appreciation in some small way...

wish we were wealthy enough to do something like this for each individual that we find 'in need'...

I salute you guys... with AWE and APPRECIATION!

thank you for allowing me to be a small part of this wonderful endeavor!

best regards
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always better to give than to receive and you've given alot.

Let's see:

1. Ideer.
2. Time.
3. Gathering & counting.
4. Posting updates.
5. Taking calls.
6. Making calls.

I can see how the allergies have kicked in when you've committed so much to an idea and see every ones reaction as validation of #1. Your doing good, actually gooder than good. grin

For me it's like Christmas all over again. A a bunch of Santas helping out, knowing darn well what the reaction is going to be when the perfect gift is unwrapped.

Woooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a Red Skelton jump and wiggle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just love that truck! What a brute.

Matt, be careful when you get home and transition into normal vehicles. My son-in-law spent a year driving humvees and the first week he was home he high-sided his Isuzu Trooper cutting across a vacant lot. LOL

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every time I come home from a deployment, I notice my wife leaning over and peeking at the speedometer occasionally. I get so used to poking along scrutinizing every piece of trash that I find it hard to drive the speed limit. 45 or so in a 65 is about the norm until I get used to it. crazy The hardest part is resisting the urge to drive way around every broke-down vehicle since to me it represents a potential VBIED.

I just want to take a sec to express my heart-felt gratitude to all of you folks who have participated in this project. And especially to SeaFire. It's never happened to me before and I find myself in awe of the generosity of so many who have never even met me. All of you enthusiastically offered your time, money and posessions simply because of my chosen profession. It means a LOT to me and I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. This will be a rifle that I will someday be proud to pass on to my son.

By the way, Nifty two fifty - do you ride motorcycles? The "high-side" reference clued me in. wink

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well today I was over at Sportsman's and have lined up a Marlin Stainless Long Action. We are getting such a deal on it, that it is less than I can have one purchased at cost by a few members with FFLs, and then shipped and then paying the 'fees' that are always attached to it...

The scope Matt expressed interest in is already on the way, courtesy of a fellow Alaskan who desire to remain anonymous..
and then was apologizing he couldn't do more!!! Its also a brand new one in the box, not a handmedown donation...

I'm going to ask Matt in PM a couple more questions of how he'd like this thing to be in the end.. got some help on standby with some custom stock work if he desires...

after that is the barrel ( the original idea.. grin)

and then just the wait for it to come together...

with that being done, then I will be focusing on contestant number 2....

I still feel immaterial in this project... as this is a labor of love if no other better way to describe it...

but the rest of you gentlemen have done this web site proud!, darn proud... and it is a personal privilege to be on the same board as you gentlemen...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

That's too bad about the Shasta County man passing over here. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

I've been riding streetbikes for about 16 years now. I have somewhere between 100 and 200K miles on two wheels so far. My last bike was a pristine 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing. I logged about 7K miles on it this last summer. I never ride without all the protective gear. (ATGATT) I spent 23 years of my life in CA and I've ridden all over the state. I hope to someday ride down through Canada into CA to visit friends and family then back to AK.

I echo the elderly woman's sentiments. Thank you for your service! It's always nice to receive that support. It always seems the most heart-felt from the older generations too.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bump for a good guy!

Matt doesn't deserve to be 3rd page, even if we have already gotten enough support for his dream rifle...

thanks
seafire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang right!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
eh76,

I like your sig line. I would think about venturing down there from Alaska for a hunt, but it's too cold for me in Wyoming. crazy

(Seriously! Coldest recorded temp in US history was in Wyoming!)

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 01/05/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt,

Thanks grin not the coldest but in the top 10. I believe AK holds the honor of the coldest. Been to AK once to chase caribou. Beautiful country.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113527.html

Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmm... I read somewhere once that somewhere in WY it got to -86. Can't seem to find it now. Maybe that was false info. Either way, it's COLD! Where I live in AK it does occasionally get down to -30 but that's not common. Most of the winter the temp stays above zero.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be correct. Coldest I have seen personally is 50 below near where I live and that was wicked. 20 below is plenty cold. Alaska and Wyoming are very similar other than Alaska has more water. I loved it up there, you have caribou and we have pronghorn grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I've been through WY a few times. I drove trucks over the road for about 2.5 years. There is some beautiful country there. I have fallen in love with Alaska though. I'm never leaving if I can help it. We have moose bears sheep and goats too, not to mention all the salmon, halibut, lingcod, rockfish, trout grayling, arctic char, pike.... you get the idea. ;-)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
halibut...[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, Halibut is good stuff! Well, time to get to work. My trucks aint gonna fix themselves. ;-)

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.