Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I use my ATV for just about everything where I live in Alaska, from yard work and plowing the driveway in the winter (along with half the neighborhood's driveways) to trail rides, camping and hauling my game out of the woods. My fourwheeler (as we call 'em in Alaska) is a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700. I have just under 4000 miles on it so far and it's about due for a new set of front brakes. That's the only thing maintenance - wise that's come up since new other than a yearly oil change with Amsoil synthetic. The thing gets pretty badly abused, but just keeps on going. I am sold on the Yamaha toughness and reliability. Here's my Grizz:

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice machine Matt. When I bought new last year, it had come down to polaris, honda, or yamaha. I bought the polaris 550 limited edition. Don't have a lot of mile's on it yet, but so far I,m happy with my choice.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a 2001 Honda Foreman 450s 4x4 currently. A Yamaha Grizz 450 EPS is in the future.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own a 2004 Honda Foreman 450ES that's tricked out with all the goodies and it I use it for all my land based adventures. Wife has a 2009 RancherAT 420 with EPS and IRS. Honda had it geared to high for the type of riding we do so I did a gear reduction on it and she really enjoys riding it now.

If Honda doesn't get their act together soon i'm jumping ship and getting a Grizzly 550 with EPS.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The EPS is a huge plus. I like the fact that it works like a steering dampener as well when you hit a bump on one of the front tires. It saves your shoulders and greatly reduces fatigue on long rides.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last one I had was an Eiger.

The original international turd
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
09 Grizzly 550. Have been very pleased with the machine.

FSTF
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I got pretty big into riding ATV's when the army brought me to Alaska. If any of you watch Fisher's ATV World, the Knik River Public Use area was listed by Fisher as being one of the top five places to ride ATV's in the world. In approximately 50 miles round trip (give or take, depending on how many side trails you take) you can go all the way out to the Knik and George glaciers. (looks like one glacier - it's where the two meet.) I've been out there more times than I can count. I always see wildlife, usually bald eagles, moose, sheep on the cliffs and occasionally a wolf or two. I feel blessed to have such a beautiful riding area so close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We picked up a 450 Grizz EPS (love that feature; glad they only had that version or I wouldn't have known); had it since Labor Day and have around 2.5M miles on it. It rides different than the machines I'm more accustomed to, but it is a decent ride and has been a good, trouble-free machine in the short while we've had it. It has even started quite readily in the last couple weeks of -15 - -25� F weather we've been having. A patch heater/battery tender optional package was a good idea.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an '07 Kawi Brute Force 750 with the NRA camo package.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
08 Polaris 800 X2, no issues with mine. Strong machine

Last edited by passport; 01/07/12.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
04 Suzuki Vinson 500 with a manual tranny. Simple basic machine that does everything I need and no problems so far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700 - my 4th Yamaha (Big Bear, Kodiak, FZ1 motorcycle, and this one), and all have been great machines!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For guad sake man, get some mud on that thing!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yamaha,nothing but Yamaha...

Big Bear...

[Linked Image]

Rhino and Raptor.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kawasaki 650I V-Twin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Beautiful machines guys!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TXRam
2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700 - my 4th Yamaha (Big Bear, Kodiak, FZ1 motorcycle, and this one), and all have been great machines!

[Linked Image]

Com'on man get that thing dirty !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
I got pretty big into riding ATV's when the army brought me to Alaska. If any of you watch Fisher's ATV World, the Knik River Public Use area was listed by Fisher as being one of the top five places to ride ATV's in the world. In approximately 50 miles round trip (give or take, depending on how many side trails you take) you can go all the way out to the Knik and George glaciers. (looks like one glacier - it's where the two meet.) I've been out there more times than I can count. I always see wildlife, usually bald eagles, moose, sheep on the cliffs and occasionally a wolf or two. I feel blessed to have such a beautiful riding area so close.
I've ridden that area many times myself but I wouldn't call it one of the top 5 places to ride an atv. I can think of at least 3 other trails in Alaska that are better. I quit riding Jim Creek because of the idiots that ride out there and my wife won't have anything to do with that place. I've done the spring cleanup out there and the kind of garbage and amount they leave out there is flat out embarrassing. You would think that after a year or 2 of cleanups that it would remain clean but unfortunately that's not the case.

If you want a ride that goes through some beautiful country, try riding Belanger Pass and the trail that goes around the small lake on the other side of the pass. Beautiful country out that way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is what I ride. grin Goes up and down narrow, steep trails, is VERY quiet, and lets me know when game is around.

Can YOUR quad do that? laugh

[Linked Image]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
765 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.