Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lastround
There may be rings and bases that look a little more refined or cultured, but I don't think any are more lightweight or functional than the Talley LWs. I like'm.

The steel S&K's will weigh within an once of the Talley's and function quite well. Also, they do allow relatively easier scope swaps if desired with a set of spare rings. I like Talley's and have them on my plactic rifles but I prefer the S&K's when is for blued steel and wood. Here's some on one of my FN's.

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tony
Originally Posted by lastround
There may be rings and bases that look a little more refined or cultured, but I don't think any are more lightweight or functional than the Talley LWs. I like'm.

The steel S&K's will weigh within an once of the Talley's and function quite well. Also, they do allow relatively easier scope swaps if desired with a set of spare rings. I like Talley's and have them on my plactic rifles but I prefer the S&K's when is for blued steel and wood. Here's some on one of my FN's.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty. Alot of good posts and pics. Now we are just confusing the heck out of the op... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
Sharp looking SC Featherweight. Hey do you have wheels on your welding bench ?

Actually that is my shooting bench blush. It's an old steel military table, but works great for shooting off of.... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think S&k look good but the fact that they hang over the port some on the post 64's I can't get by. Just not nice lookin on those rifles. I am also for the talleys on stainless rifles but not on blued wood ones.

Rob
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Welcome new member!

Leupold Dual Dovetail matte black bases #50046
Leupold Dual Dovetail low matte black rings #49915

That's exactly what I just put on my new M70 Super Grade 30-06...they look really good with my matte Leupold FX3 6x42

My Win Featherweight wears Dual Dovetails, Med rings, with a 3.5x10x40. Love the setup.

Ken

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by harv3589
I think S&k look good but the fact that they hang over the port some on the post 64's I can't get by. Just not nice lookin on those rifles. I am also for the talleys on stainless rifles but not on blued wood ones.

Man the consensus looks kind of like this??:

Stainless/synthetic model 70......... Talley lightweights

Pre 64 model 70...........S&k mounts and rings Or Leupold dual dovetails

Blued/wood classic model 70........S&K, Conetrol, Leupold DD's

Post 64 model 70 (blued/wood)......Conetrol, Leupold DD's

I know a lot of guys don't like these but I use the one piece redfield mounts and rings on my pre 64's and one classic (crf) model 70. I'm not suggesting this but I know some use them:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They are heavier and not quite as strong but I've never had a problem with them. I'm in no way suggesting these since there are far nicer, lighter, setups out there now.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like Warne steel weaver bases and Burris Zee rings, also of steel, low height. I might try a pair of Talley's on my light-weight 7/08 but only for weight savings.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i went with talley low's (light-weights) on my supergrade. they are ugly, but they are stable, don't weigh much at all, and gave me the eye relief i was needing. i am satisfied with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i went with talley low's (light-weights) on my supergrade. they are ugly, but they are stable, don't weigh much at all, and gave me the eye relief i was needing. i am satisfied with them.

I have the Talley LW on my supergrade as well. I think they look great. I might have an issue with it if my scope was gloss but it is matte like the rings.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by hotsoup

I have the Talley LW on my supergrade as well. I think they look great. I might have an issue with it if my scope was gloss but it is matte like the rings.

Yeah, but I heard you flip the front base/ring around whistle....Just to be different huh..... grin cool

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Paul,

Wood = S&K's.

Also, I think the 2.5-8 looks the best with the combo. Also, pics below are with medium rings. Lows will fit better too, except with the 4.5-14.

Alan

2.5-8

[Linked Image]

3.5-10

[Linked Image]

4.5-14

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GSSP; 01/09/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, but I heard you flip the front base/ring around whistle....Just to be different huh..... grin cool

Apparently different like everyone else. I'm also an expert on the original Winchester trigger............. crazy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would never put Talley lightweights on a blued, walnut mod 70. I would never put one-piece Redfield style bases on either; you only get one screw in the rear. With 6-48 screws this just isn't enough. I have seen two of them snap off.

I like the steel Warne or Weaver GS with appropriate rings. I personally like the Leuplod QRW without the lever (whatever they are called). Conetrols look nice but are a PITA to install. S&K are nice but pricey.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Paul_C Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Wow, I'm so appreciative of all the suggestions and pics.

Decided to go with the Leupold DDs but all the options looked great. No wrong choices.

Can't wait to get everything set up and start breaking it in.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will agree with the Leupold Dual Dovetail set-up. I'll leave the chinsey looking Talley light weights for you guys with the plastic "Tikkies".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
My first choice is Talley lightweights and second is steel Weaver-style basis with Z rings, which isn't much heavier than Talleys. Not a windage adjustable or dual dovetail fan at all.

+1 here....

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
Paul,

Wood = S&K's.

Also, I think the 2.5-8 looks the best with the combo. Also, pics below are with medium rings. Lows will fit better too, except with the 4.5-14.

Alan

2.5-8

[Linked Image]

3.5-10

[Linked Image]

4.5-14

[Linked Image]

Damn those S&K's look great!! I'd like to swap all my stuff over to that style but they are what they are blush

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul_C
Wow, I'm so appreciative of all the suggestions and pics.

Decided to go with the Leupold DDs but all the options looked great. No wrong choices.

Can't wait to get everything set up and start breaking it in.

I put them on my Super Grade and love how they turned out...I did lap though however. Now I have to put them on the 7mm-08 today and lap them as well!

Rob
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know that I'd go out of my way to swap them out if I had no other reason to, but if I was doing a scope shuffle, I'd be likely to use S&Ks, at least on wood-n-blue rifles.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GSSP
Paul,

Wood = S&K's.

Alan

2.5-8

[Linked Image]

3.5-10

[Linked Image]

4.5-14

[Linked Image]

Damn those S&K's look great!! I'd like to swap all my stuff over to that style but they are what they are blush

Last edited by KDK; 01/14/12. Reason: baad speling

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Point taken, thanks KDK......

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.