Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 2008 chev 4x4 has the "auto" 4 wd feature on it and thats what I leave it in except for actual 4wd use. I'm wondering if people have seen fuel mileage increases using the "2hi" setting?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Interesting question - I leave mine in 2hi - have a 2011 with the 5.3L V8 - what engine do you have and what mpg are you getting? I'm currently averaging 18.4 with around town mixed with short highway. 20.8 to 21.1 on hwy at average 72mph

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was told continuous use.of auto will cause t. case wear.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I ran my Tahoe in the "auto" mode anytime there was any type of snowy/slush on the way. I liked it a lot. I ran in 2hi when the roads were dry. The only time I used 4hi was when I was going off road at all, or even on logging roads I used it.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes,you'll see an increase in mileage running in 2hi vs the auto setting.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fewer moving parts, the better. If it doesn't move, it doesn't wear out and it doesn't use energy moving it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine mirrors your numbers...except my truck is Silver
Run mine the same way.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great question. I have a 2007 Silverado and run it in auto all the time. Guess I didn't even think that it could be causing unecessary wear and tear.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a 2003 4X4 GMC 1500 that had the auto feature. What short time I owned it I never used that feature. When the going gets tough (roads slick, rough terrain) I generally have a good idea as to when I need to put the truck into 4 hi. I could see where the auto feature would be great if the wife was driving in bad weather. Some women may not know exactly when to put a vehicle into 4 wheel drive. Hence, all of the SUV's and stuff that have 4 wheel drive that kicks in when a wheel slips. Modern technology at its best.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The auto feature is very useful for patchy ice or broken snow. It also enables a driver to get waaaay overconfident.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Silverado normally stays in 2Hi. Sometimes use "auto" on slick roads/dry roads combination, when applicable. Lots of hills in these parts, works fine in those conditions. Primarily on two lanes, although have punched it on snow covered 4 lanes, a time or two.

Drove 4x4s back when manual hubs were the norm. Much prefer today's systems for on-road driving in bad weather.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Interesting question - I leave mine in 2hi - have a 2011 with the 5.3L V8 - what engine do you have and what mpg are you getting? I'm currently averaging 18.4 with around town mixed with short highway. 20.8 to 21.1 on hwy at average 72mph

I have the 5.3 4spd OD trailer towing package (axle ratio ?) and I get about 18 highway. The auto function is nice for mixed patch ice & boat ramps, but it looks like I'm going to switch to 2 hi now. We live in the city and avoid using the pickup since its hard on gas, clumsy in traffic & parking, and why wear out your truck when you can wear out the wifes cheaper car!

I always assume the t-case was running continuous and the auto lock was on the hubs after sensing wheel slip and 4 wheel function electrically locked the hub and what ever shaft was asked for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an '08 GMC Sierra 5.3L 3.73's that I put 145k on the clock. That truck went through three tough winters, and was basically left in Auto 4x4 each winter. Never had any problems at all with the system. Worked great! Now, I have an '11 GMC Sierra 6.2L with MAX trailering package and 3.73's. So far this winter, we really haven't had much winter yet, so this truck hasn't been used very much in Auto 4x4, but so far it is working flawlessly, just like the other truck. Do love the extra power of the 6.2L!! While I don't concern myself overly much about fuel economy, the difference between the 5.3L and the 6.2L isn't very much, I figure I am losing about 1 mpg gallon driving the 6.2L. Well worth it to me for the extra horses!

Last edited by mudstud; 01/07/12.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife and I have a 2003 and 2007, neither have ever had the 'auto' feature used. If the roads are nice, 2hi. When the roads are bad, 4hi.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mudstud
While I don't concern myself overly much about fuel economy,

Normally fuel economy doesn't bother me, but 2 mpg saves me $10 per hunting / family vists up north. I never thought about it until I a guy at a gas station with 09 chevy told me he can get 23 mpg if he takes it easy on the gas. I have a topper on mine so I don't know if that hurts it or not.

All I remember is I thought I found a pot of money When I sold my 13 mpg ford truck and got this chevy!

Sadly... nothing saved me as much fuel hunting trip money as when I used to drive my little car up north for grouse hunting and it saved $250 a fall over my 83 chev pickup I had then!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got the auto feature on an 06. I like if for driving around town, come bad winter weather the roads in Havre are schit. I don't like driving in 4wd when making turns and the front tires grabbing patches of dry pavement, and I don't like going back and forth between 2hi and 4hi. I'm glad it has it and I like it for the wife's sake too.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would use mine only when driving on patchy roads. All snow =4x4. I have also heard it called the wife button. If my wife calls and the roads are bad, I tell her to put it into auto.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by humdinger
My 2008 chev 4x4 has the "auto" 4 wd feature on it and thats what I leave it in except for actual 4wd use. I'm wondering if people have seen fuel mileage increases using the "2hi" setting?

The auto 4wd feature takes advantage of technology that is already on the vehicle to give you instant 4wd, namely the wheel speed sensors used by the vehicle's anti-lock brake system.

When you select auto 4wd, you're engaging the vehicle's front hubs, but not engaging the transfer case that actually sends power to the front wheels. If the vehicle computer system detects rear wheel slip, the pcm or power-train control module will send a signal to activate the transfer case sending power to all four wheels.

Use auto 4wd in situations where you might experience intermittent loss of traction, such as blowing snow, patchy ice or even heavy rain.

As for the downsides of running in auto 4wd, well you'll have both your front half shafts turning all the time. It's up to you if that's a concern. For me I'd use the auto 4wd feature if I suspect I might encounter a low traction situation as I've already discussed. If you're on really slippery surfaces such as snow covered roads, my preference would be to engage 4wd high for continuous power deliver to all four wheels - actually power to two wheels unless you have locking front and rear differentials but that's another topic.

Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
reading this I find it kind of funny i don't have an "auto option" just a lever on the floor, and if i need 4wd it seems i'm always in 4 low, but i learned to drive in a 2wd pickup and jsut don't like the idea of reduced mileage even on ice, but saying this i probably jinxed my self

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by humdinger

The auto 4wd feature takes advantage of technology that is already on the vehicle to give you instant 4wd, namely the wheel speed sensors used by the vehicle's anti-lock brake system.

When you select auto 4wd, you're engaging the vehicle's front hubs, but not engaging the transfer case that actually sends power to the front wheels. If the vehicle computer system detects rear wheel slip, the pcm or power-train control module will send a signal to activate the transfer case sending power to all four wheels.

Use auto 4wd in situations where you might experience intermittent loss of traction, such as blowing snow, patchy ice or even heavy rain.

As for the downsides of running in auto 4wd, well you'll have both your front half shafts turning all the time. It's up to you if that's a concern. For me I'd use the auto 4wd feature if I suspect I might encounter a low traction situation as I've already discussed. If you're on really slippery surfaces such as snow covered roads, my preference would be to engage 4wd high for continuous power deliver to all four wheels - actually power to two wheels unless you have locking front and rear differentials but that's another topic.

Hope this helps.

This was very helpful. Thanks Walt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
261 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 42 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.