-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really hard to say as he's kind of atypical, but that huge left 4th suggests he might be older. Looks like a big head too. Large bodied?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Really hard to say as he's kind of atypical, but that huge left 4th suggests he might be older. Looks like a big head too. Large bodied?

Yeah, I think so. He is the first non-spike bull I've ever been next to though also. So I don't have anything to compare it to besides 1 cow and 1 spike.

Obviously, the positioning of this picture makes his body look bigger than it is though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still a tough angle, but I'm pretty sure that bull is over 3 years old. Just a guess, open to anyone else's opinion

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
nice pics and commentary Exbio. But man, some horrific injuries to a couple of those hunters, eh? Their faces are horribly disfigured, I am so glad they can still hunt!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had this bull(above)aged after I killed him three months after I took these pictures....he was 9 1/2 years old. I have his shed antlers from the year before.

[Linked Image]

This bull I guided in 2007, was aged at 8 1/2 years old....My opinion is for a bull elk to reach maximun growth, they need to be at least this age. Of course, genetics, habitat and range condition all play a part, but age is the number one factor.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Berettaman
nice pics and commentary Exbio. But man, some horrific injuries to a couple of those hunters, eh? Their faces are horribly disfigured, I am so glad they can still hunt!

Haha yeah, that's my buddy's uncle who is a CEO of a significant hunting equipment company, and since I haven't seen those pictures on their website, I'm not gonna be the one to show his face.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old bulls I see killed are 5pts. Amazing how you guys can tell a 6 or 7 year old bull just standing there in the meadow. Those Colorado bulls must be real predictable.

I have seen bulls as young as 5 1/2 years old reach 375" here in AZ and I have seen a 13 year old bull that was 380+. A lot of it depends on if they still have any molars left at that age.

I have never killed a 5 pt myself but I have killed and been in on a lot of spike kills. Most of the spikes we killed weighed 220-240# and that is the full quarters only which included the rib cages and some neck meat. I never weighed a 6x6 myself. They were never whole when I got them out!

In later years, we boned them all so I don't know what they weighed or bigger ones for that matter. My son killed a big dry cow that the total carcass weight with feet cut off and head cut off was 450#.

A buddy killed a 300" bull in AZ that was weighed at a check station by a guy working on his grad degree. His bull weighed 970# and was 300# bigger than the next biggest bull. He asked the biologist why it was this way and he told him "for the same reason you are 6'4" 250# and I have 5'7".

Good answer to me!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have seen bulls as young as 5 1/2 years old reach 375" here in AZ and I have seen a 13 year old bull that was 380+. A lot of it depends on if they still have any molars left at that age.

Who aged them?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The unit biologist.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some elk are what they are and just don't get really big high scoring racks. I killed the bull pictured below and he would likely never be anything more than a 5x5 with big whale tales. This gene is fairly common in the area and I LOVE big 5x5's. He is a 4.5 year old about 280 B.C. I saw his big brother and he would easily go 330 and was also a 5x5. He had the same rack, but with MUCH longer points and unbelievable mass.
[Linked Image]

I have shot several arks full of 2 year old bulls. Some are really crappy looking 3x3's and 4x4's, but a couple are really symmetrical 5x5's. "Most" 2 year old bulls that I have watched grow or have killed remain 5x5's from year 2 through year 3. The 4th year, they "generally" get a small 6th point. Again, this is general in the areas around my home. The 5th year they are pretty good looking symmetrical 6 points and start to put on some good mass.

I have a couple of elk farms near my home. It is very educational to watch and study how bulls change/grow with age in a controlled environment. Some are amazing, but others aren't, even though they have the same feed, minerals, water and age. They simply have different genes. There just aren't any absolutes saying that an elk of a certain age will score "X" and have "Y" points. Age is definitely a big factor, but is only part of the puzzle.

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree with Scenarshooter on this one...and most any biologist worth their salt will agree.

For bulls to reach their maximum growth potential they have to be 8 years and older.

I also think there are very few bulls that "regress" with age. I think some kind of reach a point then dont grow much more. I picked 3 years worth of sheds from a Montana bull that was 330 as a 7 year old bull, about 340 at 8, about 340 at 9...and was killed when he was 10 and scored just a pinch over 340 gross. Tine lengths didnt change much from 7-10 years old on that bull, mass wasnt much different between 8-10 either.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.