Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
I was in the USN and worked with what we called A3's or a B66 in the Airforce.

The B66 and A3 had a ton of differences but mostly they were internal and the most important was the B-66 had ejection seats and the A3D had a slide and chutes. A reason we were told A3D stood for all three dead.

My class from VT-86 was the last one where those on the Overwater Jet Navigator track I was the Tactical Nav track)could select A-3 and one did and he ended up getting killed in a midair over Alaska less than 6 months after winging.

That being said, it hauled ton of gas and was the fastest non-afterburning jet out there. Another Ed Heinemann design that the Navy got yeoman service out of serving as a Bomber/Tanker/SIGINT platform. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Heinemann)

They just flew one that Raytheon was using as a test platform to NAS Whidbey for it's final resting place as a memorial.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Check out the Quebec action

The 'comments' on this one are a crack up.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pugs: Thanks for the Whidbey link. I spent two years there in VAH 123 who's duty was to train and qualify A3 pilots for carrier landings. The A3's were the largets birds to habitually do carriers. We also brought in the first A6's and trained them up to split off as VAH 128 about a year later. Now I think even the A6's are retired.

Some familiar looking ground in that video. The north Cascades was really neat ground to fly over. Thanks again,

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's a B52-H. It has fan engines installed (TF-33's), doesn't use water injection.

B52-D Departing Thailand

J57's with water injection. Three ship cell...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent 8 great years at NAS Whidbey flying EA-6B's and miss it all the time.

Heavy 128 lived on in a way. VA-128 became VAQ-128 that was a shore-based EA-6B squadron that deployed with USAF units that had lost their EF-111's.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Another H-model. The tip gear was on the ground before take off roll, notice how high the wing tips are as the plane rotates...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=l_DEnO-YTRU&NR=1[/video]

Better look at the tip gear...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pugs: If I recall correctly, I think about 18 months ago you posted an image of Deception Pass with an A6 somewhere in the image. Neat country indeed up there, and that's what made an eastern boy come west after I finished the service and some early college years. I'm from Tenn, Va, and WVa, and the wife comes from western Maryland (Cumberland).

1Minute
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Back to the 707 (or more precisely the 360-80 prototype). At the 1955 Lake Washington hydroplane races, Tex Allen rolled the plane to demonstrate its stability.

see: http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=390

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AJ300... THAT is what I was looking for! always wanted to see that. Just freakish amazing machines. Thanks bunches.

Cross... quite the horsepower displays. Fun stuff, thank tons. MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anyone got a video of the old G models taking off on an ORI? Seeing them coming down the runway traveling sideways is an eye opener.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pugs: There was a boatload of JP burned up in that last link. Amazing display of power, and I feel for anyone that lived near the end of that runway.

On the F4's, they just looked mean to me. Those intakes always looked like shoulders. Never happen, but I'd pay big bucks for a ride down the runway with the afterburners wide open.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/10/12.

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks Allen!

Brings back memories. I love the smell of burning JP-4 in the morning... grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Way back in the spring of '73 I was on the SAC ramp doing a post-flight inspection on a KC-135. Up on a stand at the tail of the airplane checking the boom nozzle. I looked behind me at the runway, there was a B-52 with it's wing tip on fire heading for the end of the runway. The pilot stopped the aircraft almost parallel to me, shut down the engines and then the crew evacuated the aircraft running upwind like a bunch of muthaphuckers. Fire trucks showed up and put the fire out before the aircraft blew.

The pilot had turned onto the runway taxiing a little too fast. When he made the turn onto the runway the right wing slammed down, the tip landing gear failed and bent outwards. This ruptured the tip tank and started the fire. The pilot taxied the flaming aircraft down the runway 13,000' feet to get it closer to the fire trucks. IIRC he started his takeoff roll, didn't know he was on fire until the tower notified him, he aborted the takeoff. Would been really ugly if he had gotten airborne...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by T LEE

First Phantom I saw was a Blue Angel at the Williamsport airshow, summer of '69. I was working that day and he came up from the airport and went vertical over my head. Second time was at Ft. Dix for basic, March '73. The PT field was near the end of McGuire's runway when two Air Guard F4s pulled up for take-off. They ran the engines up to full power and we could barely hear each other. (All activity stopped for this little show, including the drill sargeants.) Then they lit the burners. Damn, what a load of decibels! Still a great memory.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Crossfire, great picture of the 707. My first commercial flight was in a 707, from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. I have good memories of the old planes.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Guess I'd be dating myself to let on that mine (first flight) was on a "Connie". ......New Yawk to TAMPA Fla,.....never to return, either.

Yeah, flying WAS fun, back than,some of the family jaunts around the Carib and South America were just the finest imaginable,...

The Sea-going was quite a different scenario, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Those B52 carry a bunch of J57's. Always wondered just how much fuel it took to get a loaded one down the runway and up to 5,000 ft. I know each engine at 100% can burn about 9,000 lbs of fuel and hour.

I was in the USN and worked with what we called A3's or a B66 in the Airforce. They ran the same engines, and I always got a kick out running them wide open for tune ups. We'd take them out to the middle of the airfield, chain them down, and then spin them up. When we'd shut down, half the crew that was not involved in the actual work would be asleep. Conversation was near impossible what with the vibration and noise, and folks would just get into snooze mode.

One can get an idea of how much air moves through those engines by walking up beside one going wide open and tossing a paper towel into the exhaust plume. It would just disappear and then reappear about 100 yds back.

I did exactly the same work as a 20 yr old ADJ-2. That would have been in 1968 with VAW-13. We were tanking and ECM off the America. Small world isn't it. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,010 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.