Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I just bought a new one in 22lr and haven't had a chance to get it to the range, I have owned several of these and don't remember them being "tack drivers" but it has been many years since My last 77/22 22lr, I thought what the hell if the thing don't shoot I will slap a Green Mtn barrel on it then see what happens. I know I will need to address the atrocious trigger even if it does shoot with the factory barrel, I just wonder what to expect from this rifle in stock form in the accuracy department at the range? and whats the best remedy for this sorry trigger? replace the whole thing with a Rifle basix or put in a sear kit?................Thanks HB

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rugers can be a little finicky, I have 4 of them, three are great one not so much. Before buying a new barrel, I'd float the barrel & shim the bolt .... cheaper than a barrel. You could also send your barrel to CPC. 77/22 triggers are pretty good albeit heavy. I use the factory sear and lighten the spring a bit. There's going to be tons of overtravel, but that will be the case regardless of trigger kit.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

-g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
avagadro, The accurate Rugers will shoot how good at 50yds? 5 shots in 1/2" or so maybe? and what about just replacing the whole trigger with a Rifle Basix? had any experience with these?..............Thanks Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never used the Basix unit. I have a std blue lr, a WMR & Hornet in Varmint trin ... all three of those will shoot close to 1/2" at 50 yards. The lr may be a bit larger on average but has broken 0.5". I have another lr that will need some work, but confident it will shoot.

Good Luck!!

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
That's good shootin, if this little 22lr (wood blue)will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with good ammo I will be well pleased and not even consider the aftermarket barrel, as I remember the triggers on these things were awful back in the day has Ruger addressed this any in the last 15 years?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
That's good shootin, if this little 22lr (wood blue)will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with good ammo I will be well pleased and not even consider the aftermarket barrel, as I remember the triggers on these things were awful back in the day has Ruger addressed this any in the last 15 years?

VA,

I have found the same things that help accruacy in the Ruger m77 cetnerfires to also help in the rimfires

1)Free float the barrel.

2)At least Skim bed the action.

3)Do a trigger job.

Most Rugers can be tweeked to average about dime sizes(5/8") groups with good ammo at 50 yards.I have found them to shoot about like the Marlin 22lr bolt guns. On average. I do not believe the Ruger 22LR rifles to be quite as accurate as the CZ m452s.

Getting them down under 1/2" is tricky in my experience. Unless you want match grade accuracy, I don;t think you will need to go to a Green Mountain barrel if you set the rifle u to give the tube a chance..

Good luck and keep us all posted. wink

Last edited by jim62; 01/11/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the triggers are fine .... heavy but fine. I changed the springs in my and left the sear alone .... nice about 2.5# triggers little to no creep. ONLY downfall is the overtravel, which doesn't kill me on a sporting rifle. ... some folks will complain about it ...

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks men, it's been many years since I owned a 77/22, I'm kind of excited to get this 77/22 to the range, as I remember they all functioned flawlessly I just never was impressed with the accuracy I was able to achieve with the 3 or 4 rifles I owned, I am not real hard to please with triggers I might go with some new springs and be happy, a little overtravel will not bother me at all..................Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

As others have said.......skim bed action, float barrel, and do a trigger job. If those three things don't create a shooter you will be looking at a new barrel.

77/22 Target sear and spring (#VC77TS) makes your trigger job easy:
https://www.volquartsen.com/

Broughton makes excellent rimfire barrels for 22LR:
http://www.rifle-barrels.net/index.html

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks for the links, I wonder who makes an easy to install spring kit for the 77/22 as I will try this least expensive option first?...................Thanks Hb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Under $40Bucks and works perfect. I have the same one in my 77/17. I am happy with everything I've picked up from them.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good, Thanks Patriot...............Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+2 on the Volquartson sear/spring kit.

I just put the kit in my 77-22 Hornet.

Simple to install, and works great. Lowered the trigger to prolly just under 2 lbs.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Virgil ... How's that Green Hornet running? Any luck with the 35gr Vmax?

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HB -

Tackdriver, probably not. "pretty good" .. well, other than a couple of the varmint verions in .22 hornet, mine have been plenty good for what I bought them for.

.22 LR: std ss/plastic stock, about 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards, varminter, about 1.25" at 100 yards.

.22 mag: std ss/plastic stock, about 1.25 inches at 100 yards

.17 HMR: varminter ... 3/8" at 50 yards, 3/4" at 100 yards with all ammo tried.

.22 hornet: 2 varminters, both would cut the case heads off in the chamber (case head separation, in other words) with factory ammo about 10% of the time and with once fired cases at least half the time. I "ash canned" both of those, sold them to guys who were going to rebarrel or have the barrel set back and rechambered to K hornet.

In years past (too far past, I'm afraid) Volquartsen offered a gold colored version of the TiN plated sear. Those were slicker than snot on a doorknob. The newer clear or unplated version of their sear is better than factory but nowhere near as good as the gold colored version.

My favorite trigger is the factory trigger, clean up the trigger itself by polishing out rough spots where it meets the sear, and aftermarket sear, and a lighter spring.

I used one by, I think, Dayton Traister which was ok but no better than a modified factory trig / aftermarket sear.

I also have a 1 LB Jard trigger. That is an AD-ing SOB. It will hang long enough to get the bolt partway closed, then drop the sear and fire the shot towards somewhere hopefully safe before you're ready. I replaced the spring with a 1.5 LB spring which was better, cut the AD rate down to maybe 10% (!!!!) but I was still not happy with it.

I sold the .22 ss/plastic stock rifle out from under that Jard trigger which is in a box somewhere in my junk I guess. My only current "77/22" is really a 77/17 HMR. As I indicated above, I'm using the factory trigger, polished a little, and a slightly modified aftermarket sear. It ain't great as triggers go (I'm spoiled by Jewell HVRs in Remingtons) but it gets the job done I guess.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine needed some tweaking to come up to expectations.
1. floated the barrel
2. stoned the sear and ground both ends of the trigger spring. Now about a crisp 1 1/2 lbs. A very easy Dremel tool type job.
3. a 0.007 mid-bolt shim to address a slight headspace issue. This was the final tweak that really brought mine around.

All 22 LR are ammo specific. Mine shoots right with a high end Anschutz. I run about 6 to 12 k rounds through the pair each spring in pursuit of ground squirrels. The camming surface on the 77/22 is showing some wear. If I lost my present 77/22, I'd order a replacement the next day.

Seems like Cooper's and CZ's get high marks too. I favor the Ruger due to its heft and lines. I'm especially intolerant of a magazine that extends below the stock's lines. Not sure I'd like a backwards safety either.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/13/12.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a 77/22 that I had a 'smith do a trigger job on (it's wonderful), then I stuck a Shilen semi-heavy barrel on it. The barrel is heavier than factory, but not the .920" bull barrel; it is just a "heavy sporter" more or less. I had to relieve the barrel channel a bit to fit it, but still run the factory walnut stock.

Fitted up with a Leupold 2-7X Rimfire Special, it is a squirrel head-shot only, shooting machine. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a 77/17 in the wood and blue when they gave them away a few years ago, it is the 17HM2. The Rifle Basix trigger was an easy upgrade, seems to be worth the money all things considered. I'll admit that at the price I paid for the rifle, I wasn't worried over the $80 for the trigger. I picked up quite a bit of the 17HM2 ammo when it was being closed out, but I'm quite interested in the results with the Green Mountain barrel as I intend to make it a 22LR when it runs out. I'm after the 20" drop in replacement.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George,

The Green Hornet is running SUPER!

Am shooting the 35 gr. Vmax at about 2900 FPS, into a 5 shot group with all cutting the same hole at 30 yards. About 1/4".(distance to my bird feeders)

You wouldn't belive how a "feathered" varmit comes apart when hit with this load....Feathers and "parts" in a 10 foot circle (GRIN!)

I giggled so hard I almost wet myself.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 01/15/12.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
VA,

I don't post very often, but I had too on this one...

I know that you're interested in .22LR, but, I bought a used VMBZ Ruger 77/22 Mag from here on the Fire several years ago. Not too long after that, I bought a Volquartson sear/spring kit (also from here on the Fire).

The sear/spring kit is a snap to install, and the results were outstanding and well worth the cost!

What was eye opening was the differences in ammo. I bought a box of just about every ammo that's made for the .22 Mag and spent a number of days at the bench.

The rifle came with a Simmons 2.5-10x scope that works just fine. So, by merely changing ammo I could have 1" ~1 1/4" groups @100yds, to 2" or more just by switching ammo brands!

This particular rifle likes Remington Premier 33gr the best (also the most expensive...) and shot Winchester 40gr JHP's very well also (the cheapest!)

I love shooting this rifle, and I've shot a bunch of ground squirrels (75+) with it from 25 to over 115 yards with it all off-hand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.