Print Thread
Hop To
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ohio Peace Officer Drafts NDAA Letter For Police And Sheriffs
oathkeepers.org

Below is a letter composed by one of our peace officers in Ohio. This letter was written to raise awareness of the ominous problems in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012. Because Jim Singleton is a State chapter officer for Ohio Oath Keepers and is Ohio's Peace Officer Liaison, this letter will be circulated within LE communities around Ohio. I am placing this letter on our national website as a guide and/or template for all Peace Officer members in Oath Keepers in all State chapters. All are encouraged to write their own letters and mail to all Peace Officer offices in respective States. Oath Keepers is mobilizing on various fronts in response to the travesty called NDAA-2012. Oath Keepers salutes current-serving Peace Officer Jim Singleton, our Ohio chapter Secretary.

Ohio Oath Keepers
Office of the Secretary

Law Enforcement Liaison

Greetings and Salutations,

It's unfortunate that I have to write this letter, however in light of current events it is inevitable. Just days ago the United States Congress passed the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) this in itself was necessary. However in this bill was an insidious piece of verbiage that for all intents and purposes destroys the foundation of everything we believe in and took an oath to uphold. To me the possibility of those citizens and others under my protection being spirited off in the middle of the night by agents of the military, then being summarily incarcerated without access to judge or jury are insufferable and intolerable acts.

It will be argued that this only applies to foreign persons or others suspected of terrorism, but there are far too many avenues available to apply this to any group to which any administration may take umbrage with. When growing up and especially during our training in the academy we are instructed that the constitutional rights of all must be upheld at all times, as well as the respect for all people we come in contact with or represent. This section of the NDAA attempts to remove those rights which are enumerated and given to us by our creator, and places them in the hands of the office of the President of the United States to be disregarded at his whim.

And in those few words lies a conundrum, do we as police officers, sheriffs, deputies and others who have taken the oath to uphold and defend the constitution, now turn our back on that very oath? Do we now turn against the very same people that entrusted us with a most sacred duty to serve and protect them? If in fact we follow a rule of law such as this bill enacts, it would mean that the oath that we all took meant nothing. We are obliged to follow all lawful orders given to us, but we cannot do this blindly. History has seen the result of these acts and has judged them accordingly. I can only ask all of you to take a moment to reflect upon all that we are taught and hold dear, the people we serve deserve and demand our highest respect for it is through them and they alone that we were given this oath. Do we simply turn a blind eye for the sake of political expediency and lose our respect? Is a few pieces of silver so dear that we would sell our honor for it? How will we explain to our friends and loved ones why members of our community were spirited away or how will they see us when they realize (that when their time comes) we won't be there for them?

I believe that if and when those orders come, I cannot in good faith and in strict observance to my oath, allow myself to be a part of them. I would hope that members of our military in accordance to the articles of the UCMJ, would also refuse them as well. When that time comes I will do exactly as I have sworn to do, I will serve and protect those under my care, so help me God.

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying,
Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
Then said I, Here am I; send me. Isaiah 6:8

Respectfully Submitted
James B. Singleton

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can't wait till others on the board come to this and say, ' nah, that can't happen.. '

I bet the wait will be brief..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Redneck
I can't wait till others on the board come to this and say, ' nah, that can't happen.. '

It won't be coming from here. mad

I had a conversation with a dear friend of mine recently about the direction this country was headed.

This friend was conscripted (removed from his home!) in 1943 the day after his 15th birthday and pressed into service of the Nazi Army.

He saw the rise of fascism in his country and how the media was used to convince the public that their cause was right and that "certain steps were necessary" to protect the homeland.

He sees this country being led down that same road. When the Patriot Act was first passed, he told me that it was the beginning of the end of freedom in this country.
Nationalism, Isolationism, and Fascism all went hand-in-hand for the Nazis until Hitler decided that he needed to take steps to enlarge his scope of control in order to grow his empire.

He likens DHS to the early stages of the SS.

This thing HAS to be opposed at all levels.

Just my $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck

No Lee, the modus operandi is to ignore this. I asked repeatedly and was finally answered that there is nothing to worry about, that American citizens still have access to the courts, etc. There is a big outcry though. Big enough for me to wonder if the explanation given me was correct. Not big enough to do anything about the Act's passage though. Reminds me of NAFTA and GATT.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"This thing HAS to be opposed at all levels."

The WEIGHT, the sheer onerous WEIGHT of this "Burden of Responsibility " is daunting, and intimidating.

Sharing it with like minded folk lightens it, considerably.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It will happen; the question is how many times will it happen before we know about it.

They can make anyone seem like a terrorist if they want to.

Think about it.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can say a lot couched in humor that would get you some hard looks if you said it seriously.

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 01/11/12.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the things I have considered, is that if a Citizen were arrested and held, will anyone even know about it?
Some folks say a court case would over turn this rule, but if everything is done in secret, how would a case be brought in the first place?
Much of the provisions in this bill are just plain unknown.

A close friend of mine is Hungarian, and grew up under Communism there.
He has remarked on more than one occasion, that it is as plain as the nose on your face, that America is becoming just like Hungary was in the 1950s.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What can't happen--feds can't spirit people away?

Nah, they certainly can--including troublesome local sheriffs. Also, judges and congresscritters can find themselves in Guantanamo if they're big enough obstacles to the executive branch.

Congresscritters can't be put on trial while they're in office, but the NDAA skips right over those inconvenient trial things and goes straight to the torture chambers.

I wonder if those Congresscritters considered that before they passed the bill.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Barak
What can't happen--feds can't spirit people away?

Nah, they certainly can--including troublesome local sheriffs. Also, judges and congresscritters can find themselves in Guantanamo if they're big enough obstacles to the executive branch.

Congresscritters can't be put on trial while they're in office, but the NDAA skips right over those inconvenient trial things and goes straight to the torture chambers.

I wonder if those Congresscritters considered that before they passed the bill.
I don't agree with you very often, Barak, but you're correctimundo on this one..

And yes, middle of the night raid on a home - especially those of us in the country (read: rural) would be nearly totally invisible to neighbors..

It's why I have several items that warn me ahead of time - and two of 'em are Boxers with real good ears..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It doesn't need to be totally invisible. Remember the white dude from North Carolina or somewhere like who laid sheetrock for a living who was arrested as an Islamic terrorist? I know nothing about the guy. He may have been everything they said he was, but then again, who knows? The point is, they'll come spirit you away and they won't hide it, they'll just tell everyone that you were a really bad dude and have beaucoup evidence to suppport their claims. Heck, they'll be able to convince your own wives and kids that you were some sort of dastardly terrorist looking to overthrow the republic.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe_redux; 01/11/12.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm sure nobody here could be said to have a "Stockpile" of weapons, "Thousands of rounds of ammunition", Anti-Government "Materials" (Maybe a Second Amendment quote in an NRA mag..), God forbid you have some smokeless or black powder.

The entire story very seldom seems to come out about the "Loner who just snapped".

Welcome your overlords, peasants! smile

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.