Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, you read that correctly, 100% propane for backpacking type stoves. Yep, the little compact suckers. On nice, works-in-the-cold 100% propane.

The ideal set up is the 226g/8oz 100% propane Bernzomatic PowerCell -- if you can find them. They're out there, but they're tough to find.

Absent a PowerCell, you can use an adapter like [b][i]the Kovea LPG (propane) adapter[/i][/b] with common 16.4oz/465g propane cylinders, the kind everyone uses for car camping.

[Linked Image]

What are the considerations involved with the use of such an adapter and 100% propane for backpacking stoves? I address these and other practical matters of propane for backpacking stoves in my latest blog post: [b][i]100% Propane For Backpacking Stoves[/i][/b].

[Linked Image]

HJ

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
can't you put your spam somewhere else?

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We do have a backpacking section here.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
can't you put your spam somewhere else?
Spam?

I'm not selling anything, and the information is on topic. However, if the post is unwelcome,
Moderators, please delete this post if it is inappropriate.

Thanks,

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rob p
We do have a backpacking section here.
Yes, Rob,

But a lot of hunters, fishermen, etc like backpacking type stoves because they're small and relatively portable. However, if the moderators would like to move this post to another section, I have no objection.

HJ

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, we don't have no stinking moderators. Peer pressure is about all we have.
Most of us look at your posts as spam. You might find more love over in the back pack hunting section.
Folks using this subform are more likely to be found firing up a Big Green Egg, than a camp stove. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Backpack hunting forum? OK, can do.

Thanks,

HJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Most of us look at your posts as spam. You might find more love over in the back pack hunting section.

I certainly don't regard Jim's posts as spam. The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though. He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.

Jim - you have some interesting threads and good info (not all of which I agree with) smile but I for one, am glad you are here. Carry on.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting information to those of us who get out and do stuff in the outdoors.

Welcome to the fire.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing's for sure....some SPAM would taste good right about now. No matter how it's cooked. Dayum high BP.

Carry on Gents!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think it's spam either. I don't backpack but find it interesting, I like to have something warm to drink or eat on longer ice fishing trips. Even propane gets a little weak on the cold days.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A "cold day" is when you gotta go outside and pee on the tank to make coffee!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though.
Got it. Thanks.

He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.
Yep. Nothing for sale. Just a hobby. C'mon and look if you like -- or not. It's there if it's helpful.

Jim - you have some interesting threads and good info (not all of which I agree with) smile but I for one, am glad you are here. Carry on.
Thanks, bro.

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I don't think it's spam either. I don't backpack but find it interesting,
Thanks

Originally Posted by nighthawk
Even propane gets a little weak on the cold days.
And I've got some ideas about that. Yes, white gas or kerosene, of course. But some really like gas (or really dislike liquid fuel). I've got some ideas that should work down to about -45F on canister gas. They're not quite ready for the blog yet. I go out and test this stuff before I post my ideas. If you never hear from me again, that means I blew myself up. smile

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by byc
some SPAM would taste good right about now. Dayum high BP.
You and me both, bro.

HJ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jim

I like the info thanks for posting it. Have a few backpacking stoves that see non-backpacking work a few times a year. Got any good base camp recipes to share?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mac7
Jim

I like the info thanks for posting it. Have a few backpacking stoves that see non-backpacking work a few times a year. Got any good base camp recipes to share?
Hi, Mac,

My specialty is omelets which both my wife and I enjoy. Nothing too elaborate here, but my "trick" (if it can even be called that) is to add about 1 part milk to 4 or 5 parts egg, and then whip everything together. Of course using butter to grease the pan improves the flavor as well.

I also bring a lid for my pan whenever I can. I turn down the heat fairly low, and cover for a while with all the ingredients inside. Gives everything a good even cooking.

Of course you need a good thick pan for this. A flimsy little light weight pan won't cut it if you want a decent omelet.

HJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I certainly don't regard Jim's posts as spam. The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though. He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.

What 'bender said.

Jim, just ignore Mannlicher.....he's an obnoxious douche, and certainly doesn't speak for "most of us", as he presumes.

Sure, the Backpacking forum is probably a better venue for this, but it's good info, nonetheless. Thanks.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim:

I find your info interesting. Can't imagine why it's looked on as spam by some. I have absolutely no use for one of those little stoves but enjoy seeing what other folks find useful and it looks like you have an interesting hobby. I never get more than 25 feet from a vehicle so no need for it but there was a time....

Elwood

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Somehow "most" of us missed the survey ya miserable [bleep].

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.