Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, I'm trying to understand something. If you look at all the information on these Model 70's for Cabelas, including videos on the Winchester site, they are a duplicate of the pre 64 models with improvements due to advances in technology. I've seen a few at the local Cabelas with one Super Grade having very nice wood All are very respectable looking as to fit and finish.

If one check prices on pre 64 model 70's they are generally higher than the asking price for the Cabelas models, with wood that is not as nice...i.e Super Grade and to a lesser degree the other models.

Yeah, I could do without the logo on the plate as well, but everything considered, I think one gets a whole lot of Model 70 for the price and brand new to boot. Model 70 XTR's and other post 64 Model 70's are going for $900 plus or minus.

Am I missing something here. I know the original is the original, and I understand that feeling, but I have to believe these models from Cabelas are a good value.

As an example why would I choose to buy say a 1947 Super Grade in .270 for $1799 vs buying a Cabelas new Super Grade for the same price? Wood is nicer on the new version, and it's new.

Not knocking either model. I'm just asking a question is all as I'm just curious as to your thoughts, especially from Winchester collectors.

It also seems that the reviews on the new FN Model 70's is also good, which makes these new ones even more interesting.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/15/12.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The M70 Cabelas version I saw at Cabelas has a gross floorplate with their name blazing out at me. I could not look at one in the safe next to the other good guns.

The finish on the barrel was too bright with a high polish.

Overall the price was much too high. A regular 'new' M70 would be a better value but even then you get the brazed on bolt handle and the new trigger.

I would much rather have a pre 64 M70 and I do.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Its late at night for me so ...........

The M70 Cabelas version I saw at Cabelas has a gross floorplate with their name blazing out at me. I could not look at one in the safe next to the other good guns.

The finish on the barrel was too bright with a high polish.

Overall the price was much too high. A regular 'new' M70 would be a better value but even then you get the brazed on bolt handle and the new trigger.

I would much rather have a pre 64 M70 and I do.

[Linked Image]

As I mentioned in my question....I also could live without that floorplate.

Overall the price is too high in comparison to....what.....older Model 70's? That's what I'm trying to decide. Price seems reasonable in comparison, at least in my mind.

Dumb question, but didn't the old classics, the Winchester, Remington's and others, have a deep blued polished appearance on barrels?

As far as the trigger....many folks suggest it's an improvement from what I've read.

Brazed on bolt handle? Are you suggesting the new handles are inferior...will come off?

Thanks for the response. By the way, here's one of the Cabelas' .270's for $1799....an example of the wood grade.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/15/12.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning,

I just looked at this Link Cabelas rifle picture and the finish does not seem to be a too bright blue. Also the specs. call for a satin finish. [img]http://www.cabelas.com/50th-anniver...-winchester-model-70-sporter-rifle.shtml[/img]

I will have to look at one again. I will go up to Cabelas soon but not today as its going to be mobbed with the day off.

As for the bolt handles coming off a smith here said a few did. Heck, I suppose anything can break but this era M70's bolt handles are keyed into the bolt body and not just tacked on like a Rem.

As far as me wanting a Cabelas 50 yr rifle I can't imagine it alongside a pre 64 M70. They are not on the same page reputation wise let alone the same book. I like the Cabelas store a lot but I don't like their name on every hat, shirt and in particular on a gun!

The stock you showed has very nice wood. I like that.

Another thing is that there may be only a choice of the 300 WM chambering.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guys, if the floorplate bothers you, drift a pin, attach a new one - voila! No logo. I wouldn't let that stand in my way if I really liked the rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
As an example why would I choose to buy say a 1947 Super Grade in .270 for $1799 vs buying a Cabelas new Super Grade for the same price? Wood is nicer on the new version, and it's new.

Not knocking either model. I'm just asking a question is all as I'm just curious as to your thoughts, especially from Winchester collectors.

Because the 1947 super grade is a true American Classic that will be worth double that 10 years from now, and your new gun will be worth squat. Its the difference between buying a 1965 shelby Mustang, and a 2012 Mustang with the V6.

Last edited by Cartod; 01/16/12.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Savage...the model 70 featherweight in the picture I posted is available in .270 ($1799). Believe the Sporter comes in the Winchester 300 Mag.($1699), and the Super Grade Safari in .458 Winchester ($2199). Those are they 50th editions.

However they are also putting out a couple limited editions, a Sporter High Grade in .264 Winchester Mag.,($1699) and a Super Grade Lightweight in .257 Roberts ($1799).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good point, but as far a driving one, I would probably enjoy the new ride and suspension better if I were to be truthful, as long as we are comparing the same horsepower and both are Shelby's.

First of all I would not buy one to be a safe queen. It would go to the field. I'm pretty anal and have guns I've hunted with for 30 years that look as new as the day I got them. Really don't care what it's worth when I'm gone, just what enjoyment I get from them now.

Worth down the road? In excellent condition, probably the same or slightly more than I paid for it. Don't see many squat guns out there. But your point is well taken. Agree with you on the collector value.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cartod....forgot one thing. True American Classic indeed, but to who is the question. Folks of our generation who grew up with them, yes. Newer generations, not so sure. One only has to look at all the, what I call, plastic guns out there to see the trend. Because of that I see values going down on many classics. Just my opinion.

Just look at car shows. Have you noticed a decline in prices for the 20's through 30's era cars. I have. Probably because those that wanted one when young are now gone. Same will happen to the muscle car's. Most kids today are Honda, Audi, whatever fans.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you dont care about its future value or if hunting with a handmade classic doesnt appeal to you, buy a new gun. I doubt that performance will be that much different.

Oh, and you will get a nicer radio and better floor mats with the new Mustang.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cartod
If you dont care about its future value or if hunting with a handmade classic doesnt appeal to you, buy a new gun. I doubt that performance will be that much different.

Oh, and you will get a nicer radio and better floor mats with the new Mustang.

And much better suspension.....lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cartod....forgot one thing. True American Classic indeed, but to who is the question. Folks of our generation who grew up with them, yes. Newer generations, not so sure. One only has to look at all the, what I call, plastic guns out there to see the trend. Because of that I see values going down on many classics. Just my opinion.

Just look at car shows. Have you noticed a decline in prices for the 20's through 30's era cars. I have. Probably because those that wanted one when young are now gone. Same will happen to the muscle car's. Most kids today are Honda, Audi, whatever fans.
But the one thing you forget...Cars for the most part, keep improving. Guns dont. If you want the quality of a 40's or 50's era model 70 you will need to fork over 3-5k for a custom made gun. The Winchesters and Colts of the late 1800's and Early 1900's are way better guns than being made today, and to duplicate that craftmanship today would be so cost prohibitive that not many could afford one.

This is why I believe the demand for these Quality American guns from the past will never go away, at least not in the next few generations or until the gun/bullet type weapon is replaced with the ray guns of the future.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good point, but you're assuming the new generation of hunters understand the craftsmanship that went into the old Model 70's and other weapons. I think that fades with generations just like the desire to have that car you wanted so badly as a kid.

I'm also not so sure that technology today can't do things as well as craftsman did years ago. It took more time back then, but unless you're talking hand checking and engraving that's elaborate, I really doubt the working mechanisms of the weapon themselves aren't comparable.

Of course custom rifles cost more, they are custom and usually encompass things not included on a factory run....i.e. fancy grade woods, customized barrels, individual hand fitting, bedding etc to mention a few.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point, but you're assuming the new generation of hunters understand the craftsmanship that went into the old Model 70's and other weapons. I think that fades with generations just like the desire to have that car you wanted so badly as a kid.

I'm also not so sure that technology today can't do things as well as craftsman did years ago. It took more time back then, but unless you're talking hand checking and engraving that's elaborate, I really doubt the working mechanisms of the weapon themselves aren't comparable.

Of course custom rifles cost more, they are custom and usually encompass things not included on a factory run....i.e. fancy grade woods, customized barrels, individual hand fitting, bedding etc to mention a few.
You make valid points but I think this is where you miss: You assume that the future will not hold the value of our past as much as you do. You see I am that future. I was not born when most of the guns in my collection were made. I dont believe this desire goes away with the next generation. That is the ole time arguement granpa's and grandma's have been making for centuries.."These kids today have no respect or no appreciation". Makes me kind of chuckle because its an arguement that never goes away.
The youth of today are smarter than the previous generation. Just because they have Ipods and cell phones does not make them lazy and stupid (although some are). I see many upstanding kids with an appreciation for quality, my question is will they ever have the money to afford it.

Sure a machine can stamp a part better, but old Winchester parts were all hand buffed and hand fitted and hand checkered by American craftsman. Just point an old Winchester model 12 upward and press the release button. The slide will fall into the eject position without touching the forearm. Try that with a new gun.

You might think that the desire to own these old guns has diminished, but the prices do not reflect your views. Hunters/Shooters/Collectors of the future will still desire to own the best of America. I'm betting on it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Let me clarify. I'm certainly not saying that today's generation is lazy or stupid. I'm also not comparing intelligence from one generation to another. Not sure where you got that from. I do however have my own opinions....lol.

Your example of the Model 12 illustrates my point. Great guns...yeah. Would I rather shoot one of them instead of some of the choices today....no! No comparison. Relative values on used gun racks will tell you just how not in demand they are. Sure there are collector pieces (28 gauges, Model 42's), but the average used model 12 in 12, 16 or even 20 gauge doesn't command much price wise today, at least compared to what they used to 25-30 years ago. Too many other better alternatives.

Oh, and for the record I have owned Model 12's in my day.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I believe a lot of the mystique of the pre-64 M70 is just that. The stocks on the M70 Classic models are much better in looks and fit that the pre-64's and when the newer ones get as old as the pre-64's, they will be as smooth or smoother because of better machining tolerances of todays technology. Lets separate thr BS from the Sho-nuff. Most of the crap about the pre-64's being so superior to all other M70's is in peoples imagination.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me clarify. I'm certainly not saying that today's generation is lazy or stupid. I'm also not comparing intelligence from one generation to another. Not sure where you got that from. I do however have my own opinions....lol.

Your example of the Model 12 illustrates my point. Great guns...yeah. Would I rather shoot one of them instead of some of the choices today....no! No comparison. Relative values on used gun racks will tell you just how not in demand they are. Sure there are collector pieces (28 gauges, Model 42's), but the average used model 12 in 12, 16 or even 20 gauge doesn't command much price wise today, at least compared to what they used to 25-30 years ago. Too many other better alternatives.

Oh, and for the record I have owned Model 12's in my day.

Great debate! I did not imply you called the youth stupid or lazy, just that the older generations always pigeon hole the youth that way. Not that your even in the older generation.

You say the pump shotguns like the Winchester 12 are "No Comparison" of the pumps today and that there too many "better alternatives"? All I am trying to do is illustrate the quality of older guns, specifically winchesters, since this is a Winchester forum. So my question to you is What are the better comparison Pump shotguns that are no comparison?

Model 12's still command a huge premium for collectors. Much like the 94 though, so many were made, the collector pieces need to either be mint or rare.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I didn't say "pumps". I was merely saying shotgun choices. Even when I had Model 12's I actually preferred my 870's. Just personal opinion, nothing more. Yeah with the limited pumps from years ago, the Model 12 was the creme or the crop. Just not a lot of crop to compare to....Remington, Ithaca, High Standard, Mossberg, Sears, Monkey Wards, Ted Williams etc.

I have an 88' Winchester 1300 NWTF Turkey gun, laminated stock, gun of the year. Bought it when it came out. Hate to say this, but it in my mind is every bit as good as the Model 12. Just feels better balance wise to me. Have a couple fully camo Remington SP 870's, both 12 and 20. Still like the feel of that 1300. But...again...just my opinion.

I know...aluminum receiver...crap etc. Well since I don't beat my guns the aluminum is just fine and makes the gun somewhat lighter. Does it open all the way to eject holding it up and depressing the button? I don't know, and don't care as I never do that anyway.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rj308
I believe a lot of the mystique of the pre-64 M70 is just that. The stocks on the M70 Classic models are much better in looks and fit that the pre-64's and when the newer ones get as old as the pre-64's, they will be as smooth or smoother because of better machining tolerances of todays technology. Lets separate thr BS from the Sho-nuff. Most of the crap about the pre-64's being so superior to all other M70's is in peoples imagination.

I tend to agree. I will say however that a nice Super Grade or other model, well taken care of with some eye catching wood appeals to me, but for the most part, old, somewhat used bla looking Model 70's just don't rock my boat.

That's why I posed the question on the Cabelas offerings. With some of the wood on the ones I've seen, they speak to me, like in "take me home"...lol. When you figure they are as close to a duplicate of the 1961 Model 70's, which are classics, how can I lose. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know...aluminum receiver...crap etc. Well since I don't beat my guns the aluminum is just fine and makes the gun somewhat lighter. Does it open all the way to eject holding it up and depressing the button? I don't know, and don't care as I never do that anyway.
I just used that demonstration as a way to show how well the old winchester parts were fit and polished. I am sorry I angered you. Good luck with your choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.