Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I remember Allen making that statement.

Allen had some expensive rifles and while my own rifles are not as costly as his I look upon them as different tools for different applications for different territorys.

I take pleasure and enjoy year round handloading & shooting them, they are not just a fall application tool with me.

Yeah, there can be had one or two jack of all trade rifles that can do it all and I suppose after a fella does so much shooting he can just about pick up any rifle and make it work.

I have as much pleasure shooting as I do hunting and hunting is not the end all for me, its an excuse to shoot.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are people that shoot so they can hunt.

There are people that hunt so they can shoot.

I some very avid shooters that NEVER hunt they are into competitive shooting.

Some people buy tons of guns and rarely shoot, they are collectors.

I don't consider any of the above more right or wrong than the other it just depends on what you are most into.

Remember this is a hobby and is for fun, right :-)

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35

I have as much pleasure shooting as I do hunting and hunting is not the end all for me, its an excuse to shoot.

I'm kinda that way myself, but still look forward to being outdoors in the fall and winter.

I did not know that Allen had passed away. I was re-reading his "famous" thread about hating Accubonds just a few days ago. Happy trails to him and his family....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

Bauer,

Hey guy, where have you been? It's been about a year since you busted out the clever "82 trick move" line. D'Arcy told me to say hello. The last time you went on an Echols bashing rampage he got multiple rifle orders out of it. He said he will send you a free hat if you PM your address.....seriously.

Chet

It's always easy to finger those who Allen handed them their respective asses and on more than ome ocassion including this rube and the originator of this post. RIP Allen we "got your six"...

PS: not you Chet!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Even if you didnt care for the guy, its in bad taste to dis a dead man.
The guy was self made, but even if he were not I wouldnt hold it against him for owning fine firearms that he thought were of value.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

Bauer,

Hey guy, where have you been? It's been about a year since you busted out the clever "82 trick move" line. D'Arcy told me to say hello. The last time you went on an Echols bashing rampage he got multiple rifle orders out of it. He said he will send you a free hat if you PM your address.....seriously.

Chet

You should do it--it is a nice hat.

[Linked Image]

Then we can teach you the 82 trick moves to getting it on right.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think his quote in the magazine "accurate junk" refering to Savage was a little much. Sort of told you what kind of guy he really was.

"The older I get, the better I was"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's easy to get sucked into rifle/gear collecting mania in search for something the ultimately doesn't matter. In the end, all the fancy rifles/gear don't mean squat if all it means is that you can have some sort of voice on the internet on certain things, and miss out all all the good hunting out there outside the realm of what you can do cheaply. Or, limit your excursions to the point so that you can sell the gear/rifles LNIB, just to buy the next set of gear and not use it hard so you can sell it for the next set of gear.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He was just another man with another opinion.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

You had plenty of opportunity to vent about Allen when he was here.

Knowing he still sticks in your craw brings a giggle.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You have got some serious problems...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's an Echol's rifle going for these days?

AD was on to something big with that one ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sawbuck

You had plenty of opportunity to vent about Allen when he was here.

Knowing he still sticks in your craw brings a giggle.

I agree Sawbuck. It does seem a little neurotic to start a new thread about a CF members signature line that is merely a quote of another deceased members opinion. Allen must have really hit a nerve with some of these guy's. At least he was not soon forgotten.

At any rate, he is no longer here to defend himself, so making snide comments about him is in poor taste.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by petr
What's an Echol's rifle going for these days?

AD was on to something big with that one ...

That is the funny part. Allen paid between $4,500 and $8,000 for his Echols rifles and he sold them all for $9,000 to $11,000 after using them for several years. In what way was that stupid?

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
this thread needs to die. allen is gone. let it go.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone remember what calibers he settled on in those Echols?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I recall the 300 WM was the only cartridge worthy.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he mentioned being on the waiting list for a .300 H&H also.

Terry

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 52 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.