Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
MAN I missed talking to that Guy, he enlighten me on my first custom build on who to go with(Mark Bansner). I didn't take his advice and SUFFERED the consequences. I've since took his advice and couldn't be more happier!!!!!! RIP Mr. Day.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that he could shoot the big 30's and good for him.

Its just that he went overboard saying what was needed.

Granted he hunted farther than I have but not longer or more.

Just my experience that a mechanical person can make a rifle work for regular hunting well for 60 years..

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day

laugh

I have never heard of Allen Day but what he is quoted as saying I think is about right on. Most of us are more shooter's than hunter's. Therefore we need to buy rifle's to fool with. Hunter's generally do make good use of just a couple rifles and spend their money on hunting. I have known of people claiming to own extrodinary numbers of guns. More power to them if they can afford it. For myself, if I were more a hunter and less a shooter, I would have just maybe three rifles, perhaps only two. I've got ten rifles in the case now but time's past I've had over 20. A guy can't hunt with that many rifles but he sure can shoot them!

I have a few cousins that are hunter's. They hunt deer and elk only and each has one rifle that they have had about 40 yrs now. I can say this, they sure can shoot them!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I recall the 300 WM was the only cartridge worthy.

He had a 270 WCF, 300WM, 338WM, 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the thought that on this and some other things that:

"Sometimes there is more than one right answer."

smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anyone remember what calibers he settled on in those Echols?

Do you mean cartridges?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

smile

I totally agree. Allen's statement is only one of countless ideas that all have merit depending on the priorities and desires of the individual.

However, if that is the case, why did you feel the need to create this thread? Seems like someone with a pure "live and let live", "more than one right answer" attitude would have read Allen's opinion, and went about their merry way........

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Chetaf did you buy one of Allen's rifles?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This statement by Day:

.the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end

Some enjoy just shooting or working on guns or some of all.

smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK
Chetaf did you buy one of Allen's rifles?

Dink

Yes. I bought his 270.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/18/12.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps that quote by Day is not prefaced enough?

If he was talking about a gun for the all out dedicated trophy hunter then perhaps spending on more guns would take away.

Same for the dedicated target shooter.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would like to see pics if you don't mind sharing. Do you know the spec?

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps that quote by Day is not prefaced enough?

If he was talking about a gun for the all out dedicated trophy hunter then perhaps spending on more guns would take away.

Same for the dedicated target shooter.

I posted his full statement before, but here it is again. Also, here is a link to the thread where the quote came from. It provides the proper context for Allen's statement:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2148382/1

Chet

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK
I would like to see pics if you don't mind sharing. Do you know the spec?

Dink

Sure, what specs are you looking for?

Chet

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
AD also was an expert on pre-'64 M70s, and his time working with D'Arcy Echols allowed him to develop an understanding of how likely a particular serial numbered rifle was to perform as the action in a custom rifle. He was happy to share that knowledge as well, and I always liked talking to him.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe D'Arcy is now selling his Ledgend rifles for $14,700 if the M70 action is provided.

$15,500 if not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Day seemed like a decent guy who lived by his convictions...
You could butt heads with him about an issue one day and ask his advice the next...

Hope somebody can see fit to say as much about me when i'm gone...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GregW
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

You have got some serious problems...

+1000

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's right. Remember that when you start pontificating ad nauseum about CRF rifles, 3 pos. safeties, and Zeiss scopes. crazy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Anyone remember what calibers he settled on in those Echols?

Do you mean cartridges?

yep. got me. wink Cartridges

AD did my marriage a great service. Years ago I showed the wife a running thread at the time about Echols rifles. He had banged a persuasive drum. I then showed her the price which was appx 9k then. After we discussed me purchasing an Echol's (and her shock at the price) I decided against the purchase.

That woman has not mentioned one nitpick at another rifle/scope purchase since then. She realized how bad "it could be" ha ha ... many thanks AD ...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (Ackman, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.