Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You're right utah,for 20 bucks your old lady can hang with the average $1k hooker,I've seen it.As for chrome.I don't care what she does with it once it's in her mouth.

BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you go by jughead on as real as gets forum?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nope.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage, I fail to see the reason for including the cheap shot at Allen Day. Why not just state the argument?

BTW, do I recall sometime in the dim past prior to thy conversion, a ream of negative material aimed at Brno 21s...:)

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Sounds like your knowledge on the subject is about as good as Stick's knowledge on parenting..

That was completely tasteless and low class, Jorge.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Originally Posted by DINK
I would like to see pics if you don't mind sharing. Do you know the spec?

Dink

Sure, what specs are you looking for?

Chet

Nothing in particular.

I agree with most of Mr. Day's opinions and know that he was very opinionated about his personal dangerous game rifles. I just can't remember if or what he consider best for his standard rifles.

Dink

Okay, it is a pre-64 action with a 22" featherweight contour barrel in a Legend stock with Echols mounts and Burgess bottom metal. It weighs 8.5 pounds scoped and loaded with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. This rifle was built before the EDGE stocks came out, or it would weigh about 7.75 pounds all up. I have been thinking of buying an EDGE stock from D'Arcy for a while, but I haven't got around to it. Either that or have D'Arcy make a second barrel for it in 9.3x62, in which case the weight would be about perfect.

Allen really loved the red pads, but I am still not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. After I scratch the stock up enough to have it repainted, I think I will have D'Arcy swap a black pad onto the rifle. On the positive side, it is easy to see the rifle if you lean it against a tree, or from an airplane for that matter. grin

It shoots 130 grain TTSX's into the .200"-.300" range at 3120-3140 fps. 130 grain Partitions go into about .500". 150 grain Swift A-Frames shoot into .750" at 2900 fps.

Allen never got to hunt with the rifle before he fell ill and sold his collection. I have hunted the crap out of it, so it has a few gray battle scars on the stock and a few shiny spots on the metal from riding around in saddle scabbards and on my pack frame.

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a seriously nice rifle and I love the red pad!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shipster
Allen was born July 30, 1957....
Wow...born one day after me. Makes me appreciate the health I have.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it absolutely was, but when you get in the pit with hogs and scum, it tends to rub off, and in that capacity stick's about as low and scummy as they get and I'm not apologizing. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
This statement by the late Allen Day just appeared on another topic.

"I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day
"

While Mr. Day was an accomplished hunter and was very strong in his pronouncements I want to say that his way is not the only way.

I enjoy shooting guns and working on them myself. I can take a factory made rifle and make it perform to my satisfaction.

I go hunting about once a week and to the range about the same.

Today I loaded up some ammo for an old Brno 21H. Yesterday I went to a gun show.

To each his own.

Some believe rifles exist to use for hunting.

I believe hunting exists to use my rifles.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Utah:

To get the chrome quote correct, the line came from the Redford/Fonda movie Electric Horseman and Willie was speaking about keno girls.

I own a Echols cap. Does that count?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allen would have loved to get in the middle of this! Too bad he had to leave so soon.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would like to see pics if you don't mind sharing. Do you know the spec?

Dink

Sure, what specs are you looking for?

Chet

Nothing in particular.

I agree with most of Mr. Day's opinions and know that he was very opinionated about his personal dangerous game rifles. I just can't remember if or what he consider best for his standard rifles.

Dink

Okay, it is a pre-64 action with a 22" featherweight contour barrel in a Legend stock with Echols mounts and Burgess bottom metal. It weighs 8.5 pounds scoped and loaded with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. This rifle was built before the EDGE stocks came out, or it would weigh about 7.75 pounds all up. I have been thinking of buying an EDGE stock from D'Arcy for a while, but I haven't got around to it. Either that or have D'Arcy make a second barrel for it in 9.3x62, in which case the weight would be about perfect.

Allen really loved the red pads, but I am still not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. After I scratch the stock up enough to have it repainted, I think I will have D'Arcy swap a black pad onto the rifle. On the positive side, it is easy to see the rifle if you lean it against a tree, or from an airplane for that matter. grin

It shoots 130 grain TTSX's into the .200"-.300" range at 3120-3140 fps. 130 grain Partitions go into about .500". 150 grain Swift A-Frames shoot into .750" at 2900 fps.

Allen never got to hunt with the rifle before he fell ill and sold his collection. I have hunted the crap out of it, so it has a few gray battle scars on the stock and a few shiny spots on the metal from riding around in saddle scabbards and on my pack frame.

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flat out Awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Splendid!
Don't change the pad! cry

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That stock does really well with a wide range of barrel contours; that Featherweight barrel doesn't look out of place at all.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Speaking ill of the dead...poor form...actually worse. Wish I didn't have to read such drivel.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.

You are an uninformed azz-wipe.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

And you're an equally and sadly uninformed, jealous little man...

And one with a poor memory at that...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Totally agree, Brad!

Chet,
Would love to see pics of your 7mag if you don't mind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice toys

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.

You are an uninformed azz-wipe.

Allen was phoney just like you brad,the only difference is allens old lady didn't make him sell a rifle in order to buy a rifle like yours does brad.

Allens money was derived from selling off his parents property and he was over extended and the market caught up with him.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.