Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This statement by the late Allen Day just appeared on another topic.

"I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day
"

While Mr. Day was an accomplished hunter and was very strong in his pronouncements I want to say that his way is not the only way.

I enjoy shooting guns and working on them myself. I can take a factory made rifle and make it perform to my satisfaction.

I go hunting about once a week and to the range about the same.

Today I loaded up some ammo for an old Brno 21H. Yesterday I went to a gun show.

To each his own.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To every season...

Right now I don't have the time to go on an extended hunting trip due to work and family. I live in a state that doesn't allow big game hunting with a rifle for the most part. But I love rifles. I buy rifles and guns in general as an investment for a time when I will go on a hunt. I will sell a dozen or two go hunting and never look back. At that time I will probably make a statement like Mr. Day made.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

While Mr. Day was an accomplished hunter and was very strong in his pronouncements I want to say that his way is not the only way.

Pot to kettle. You'd do well to heed your own advice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss A D. He was good guy to have round.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss talking with AD as well. Hey got to it, which a lot of people don't.

He also got it to have a couple good rifles, make a life with them, have them perfection and hunt the living dog crapola out of them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

Well said. You never know when you're number is going to be called. Surely seems Mr. Day fit an awful lot of hunting into his abbreviated time on earth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This statement by the late Allen Day just appeared on another topic.

"I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day
"

I enjoy shooting guns and working on them myself. I can take a factory made rifle and make it perform to my satisfaction.

I go hunting about once a week and to the range about the same.

Today I loaded up some ammo for an old Brno 21H. Yesterday I went to a gun show.

To each his own.

It was very obvious that Allen Day enjoyed hunting . I think in his busy lifestyle he didn't have time to Dick around with this and that rifle combo. He wanted to make it simple and he could afford to make it simple. A Rifle even an Echols was nothing more then a tool to him.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had some good conversations with Allen on another forum back in the late 90's. I wasn't aware that he had passed. Can someone tell me what he died of and when ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Judging from phone conversations I had with Allen he learned the lessons he set forth in that quote the same way most of us do......by owning a lot of rifles!

i didn't know Allen as well as many but that seemed to be pretty clear to me when we talked. It seemed he had gone through a lot of rifles,but adopted that philosophy when he started having Darcy Echols build rifles for him....I could be mistaken but that's the way it seemed (?)

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've reached much the same conclusions myself. But not just with one or two.
Usually on my long distance hunts I take at least two rifles. One is a primary and the other is a spare. That's because I've seen alot of rifles break in the field. While I've had a few problems with zero shifts, so far, I haven't had one put out of commisson. But that can happen. I've seen it happend to others.
The main thing I've decided is (a) I need plenty of practice with the primary and it's load and (b) it needs to be regularly tested. If it isn't quite what I like or want, I'd much rather tweak or modify it than buy something else. Above all, it must show me that it is reliable. You'll never see me buy a rifle, develop a load for it and go hunting in the space of a few weeks. I prefer to test, and casually hunt mine for a year or so before they go on a serious hunt.
I do have other rifles for other types of hunting, of course. And I have a couple of big game rifles that are just there because I like them. But all of them are very similar. Almost all of my big game rifles are bolt actions. Most have M70 style safeties. They all are on the light side. Almost all of them have simple 4X or 6X scopes.
Seems to work pretty well. I haven't had to rezero a rifle in over 15 yrs. unless I changed the load I use. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Allen Day
"

100% agree!

Taking my rifle for a walk
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i believe mr. day died from cancer, perhaps 2 years ago. i think he was from the northwest, washington or oregon. i'm sure someone can provide more accurate information.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon, around John Day or Sisters area (I could be thinking of Sheister there), brain tumor, he was about 52, self made fortune.

All "as I recall" - if someone knows more accurately I will be happy to stand corrected.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Allen E. Day, 52, of Dundee, OR passed away May 25, 2010, at home. Allen was born July 30, 1957, in Oregon City to Edward and Julia Day. It was here in Oregon City that Allen worked as a fourth generation farmer on his family's berry farm for years before founding his own real estate investment company. Although Allen moved away from the farm, he took his love of the outdoors with him, becoming a skilled marksman and avid hunter. While he loved the outdoors, Allen's greatest love was for people. He enjoyed spending most of his time surrounded by family and friends. Allen is survived by his mother Julia, his wife Beth and his two daughters, Kim and Kristen.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When your rifles are $35,000.00 each, two's aplenty.

RIP Allen Day.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, thats a shame. He seemed like a good man. Thank's for the info guys.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

I am of the understanding that Allen was a self made man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder where Savage 99 found that quote of Allen's? grin

I abbreviated it in my signature line to fit within the allowable limits. It makes more sense in it's entirety:

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

It really just depends on whether you are primarily a hunter or a rifle Looney. If you are primarily a rifle Looney that does not do that much serious hunting, then buying, tinkering with and shooting dozens or hundreds of rifles it fine. If you are a serious hunter, you can get distracted by the rifle obsession and wind up spending funds on unneccesary rifles at the expense of actually going hunting.

I have a friend that constantly whines about me going on several out of state hunts per year. All I hear are statements along the line of, "Geeze money bags, sure would be great to be able to blow money on tags like you" etc. The problem is, the guy has about 150 rifles in his built-in gun safe and he buys about a half dozen more each year. I have six rifles total and almost never buy a new one without selling another one. Unless you are wealthy enough to do both without one compromising the other, you have to pick your priority.

When I think of all the cash I have wasted screwing around with redundant rifles over the years it makes my head spin. I am sure I could have bought a couple of Stone's sheep hunts by now. grin

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/17/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bauer

Bauer,

Hey guy, where have you been? It's been about a year since you busted out the clever "82 trick move" line. D'Arcy told me to say hello. The last time you went on an Echols bashing rampage he got multiple rifle orders out of it. He said he will send you a free hat if you PM your address.....seriously.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

600 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.