Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This statement by the late Allen Day just appeared on another topic.

"I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day
"

While Mr. Day was an accomplished hunter and was very strong in his pronouncements I want to say that his way is not the only way.

I enjoy shooting guns and working on them myself. I can take a factory made rifle and make it perform to my satisfaction.

I go hunting about once a week and to the range about the same.

Today I loaded up some ammo for an old Brno 21H. Yesterday I went to a gun show.

To each his own.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To every season...

Right now I don't have the time to go on an extended hunting trip due to work and family. I live in a state that doesn't allow big game hunting with a rifle for the most part. But I love rifles. I buy rifles and guns in general as an investment for a time when I will go on a hunt. I will sell a dozen or two go hunting and never look back. At that time I will probably make a statement like Mr. Day made.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

While Mr. Day was an accomplished hunter and was very strong in his pronouncements I want to say that his way is not the only way.

Pot to kettle. You'd do well to heed your own advice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss A D. He was good guy to have round.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss talking with AD as well. Hey got to it, which a lot of people don't.

He also got it to have a couple good rifles, make a life with them, have them perfection and hunt the living dog crapola out of them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

Well said. You never know when you're number is going to be called. Surely seems Mr. Day fit an awful lot of hunting into his abbreviated time on earth.

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

"I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day
"

I enjoy shooting guns and working on them myself. I can take a factory made rifle and make it perform to my satisfaction.

Today I loaded up some ammo for an old Brno 21H. Yesterday I went to a gun show.

To each his own.

It was very obvious that Allen Day enjoyed hunting . I think in his busy lifestyle he didn't have time to Dick around with this and that rifle combo. He wanted to make it simple and he could afford to make it simple. A Rifle even an Echols was nothing more then a tool to him.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had some good conversations with Allen on another forum back in the late 90's. I wasn't aware that he had passed. Can someone tell me what he died of and when ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Judging from phone conversations I had with Allen he learned the lessons he set forth in that quote the same way most of us do......by owning a lot of rifles!

i didn't know Allen as well as many but that seemed to be pretty clear to me when we talked. It seemed he had gone through a lot of rifles,but adopted that philosophy when he started having Darcy Echols build rifles for him....I could be mistaken but that's the way it seemed (?)

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've reached much the same conclusions myself. But not just with one or two.
Usually on my long distance hunts I take at least two rifles. One is a primary and the other is a spare. That's because I've seen alot of rifles break in the field. While I've had a few problems with zero shifts, so far, I haven't had one put out of commisson. But that can happen. I've seen it happend to others.
The main thing I've decided is (a) I need plenty of practice with the primary and it's load and (b) it needs to be regularly tested. If it isn't quite what I like or want, I'd much rather tweak or modify it than buy something else. Above all, it must show me that it is reliable. You'll never see me buy a rifle, develop a load for it and go hunting in the space of a few weeks. I prefer to test, and casually hunt mine for a year or so before they go on a serious hunt.
I do have other rifles for other types of hunting, of course. And I have a couple of big game rifles that are just there because I like them. But all of them are very similar. Almost all of my big game rifles are bolt actions. Most have M70 style safeties. They all are on the light side. Almost all of them have simple 4X or 6X scopes.
Seems to work pretty well. I haven't had to rezero a rifle in over 15 yrs. unless I changed the load I use. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Allen Day
"

100% agree!

Taking my rifle for a walk
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i believe mr. day died from cancer, perhaps 2 years ago. i think he was from the northwest, washington or oregon. i'm sure someone can provide more accurate information.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon, around John Day or Sisters area (I could be thinking of Sheister there), brain tumor, he was about 52, self made fortune.

All "as I recall" - if someone knows more accurately I will be happy to stand corrected.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Allen E. Day, 52, of Dundee, OR passed away May 25, 2010, at home. Allen was born July 30, 1957, in Oregon City to Edward and Julia Day. It was here in Oregon City that Allen worked as a fourth generation farmer on his family's berry farm for years before founding his own real estate investment company. Although Allen moved away from the farm, he took his love of the outdoors with him, becoming a skilled marksman and avid hunter. While he loved the outdoors, Allen's greatest love was for people. He enjoyed spending most of his time surrounded by family and friends. Allen is survived by his mother Julia, his wife Beth and his two daughters, Kim and Kristen.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When your rifles are $35,000.00 each, two's aplenty.

RIP Allen Day.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, thats a shame. He seemed like a good man. Thank's for the info guys.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bauer
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.And the two 82 trick move M70's priced at 6x what they're worth.

I am of the understanding that Allen was a self made man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder where Savage 99 found that quote of Allen's? grin

I abbreviated it in my signature line to fit within the allowable limits. It makes more sense in it's entirety:

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

It really just depends on whether you are primarily a hunter or a rifle Looney. If you are primarily a rifle Looney that does not do that much serious hunting, then buying, tinkering with and shooting dozens or hundreds of rifles it fine. If you are a serious hunter, you can get distracted by the rifle obsession and wind up spending funds on unneccesary rifles at the expense of actually going hunting.

I have a friend that constantly whines about me going on several out of state hunts per year. All I hear are statements along the line of, "Geeze money bags, sure would be great to be able to blow money on tags like you" etc. The problem is, the guy has about 150 rifles in his built-in gun safe and he buys about a half dozen more each year. I have six rifles total and almost never buy a new one without selling another one. Unless you are wealthy enough to do both without one compromising the other, you have to pick your priority.

When I think of all the cash I have wasted screwing around with redundant rifles over the years it makes my head spin. I am sure I could have bought a couple of Stone's sheep hunts by now. grin

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/17/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bauer,

Hey guy, where have you been? It's been about a year since you busted out the clever "82 trick move" line. D'Arcy told me to say hello. The last time you went on an Echols bashing rampage he got multiple rifle orders out of it. He said he will send you a free hat if you PM your address.....seriously.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I remember Allen making that statement.

Allen had some expensive rifles and while my own rifles are not as costly as his I look upon them as different tools for different applications for different territorys.

I take pleasure and enjoy year round handloading & shooting them, they are not just a fall application tool with me.

Yeah, there can be had one or two jack of all trade rifles that can do it all and I suppose after a fella does so much shooting he can just about pick up any rifle and make it work.

I have as much pleasure shooting as I do hunting and hunting is not the end all for me, its an excuse to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are people that shoot so they can hunt.

There are people that hunt so they can shoot.

I some very avid shooters that NEVER hunt they are into competitive shooting.

Some people buy tons of guns and rarely shoot, they are collectors.

I don't consider any of the above more right or wrong than the other it just depends on what you are most into.

Remember this is a hobby and is for fun, right :-)

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35

I have as much pleasure shooting as I do hunting and hunting is not the end all for me, its an excuse to shoot.

I'm kinda that way myself, but still look forward to being outdoors in the fall and winter.

I did not know that Allen had passed away. I was re-reading his "famous" thread about hating Accubonds just a few days ago. Happy trails to him and his family....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chetaf

Bauer,

Hey guy, where have you been? It's been about a year since you busted out the clever "82 trick move" line. D'Arcy told me to say hello. The last time you went on an Echols bashing rampage he got multiple rifle orders out of it. He said he will send you a free hat if you PM your address.....seriously.

Chet

It's always easy to finger those who Allen handed them their respective asses and on more than ome ocassion including this rube and the originator of this post. RIP Allen we "got your six"...

PS: not you Chet!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Even if you didnt care for the guy, its in bad taste to dis a dead man.
The guy was self made, but even if he were not I wouldnt hold it against him for owning fine firearms that he thought were of value.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U

Bauer,

Chet

You should do it--it is a nice hat.

[Linked Image]

Then we can teach you the 82 trick moves to getting it on right.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think his quote in the magazine "accurate junk" refering to Savage was a little much. Sort of told you what kind of guy he really was.

"The older I get, the better I was"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's easy to get sucked into rifle/gear collecting mania in search for something the ultimately doesn't matter. In the end, all the fancy rifles/gear don't mean squat if all it means is that you can have some sort of voice on the internet on certain things, and miss out all all the good hunting out there outside the realm of what you can do cheaply. Or, limit your excursions to the point so that you can sell the gear/rifles LNIB, just to buy the next set of gear and not use it hard so you can sell it for the next set of gear.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He was just another man with another opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One significant thing about Allen Day as I recall was his mantra that only a rifle prepared by Darcy Echols was worthy.

He went on and on about this belittling just about every gun out there. Also, in my memory, he went overboard on the 300 WM.

You had plenty of opportunity to vent about Allen when he was here.

Knowing he still sticks in your craw brings a giggle.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You have got some serious problems...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's an Echol's rifle going for these days?

AD was on to something big with that one ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sawbuck

You had plenty of opportunity to vent about Allen when he was here.

Knowing he still sticks in your craw brings a giggle.

I agree Sawbuck. It does seem a little neurotic to start a new thread about a CF members signature line that is merely a quote of another deceased members opinion. Allen must have really hit a nerve with some of these guy's. At least he was not soon forgotten.

At any rate, he is no longer here to defend himself, so making snide comments about him is in poor taste.

Chet

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by petr
What's an Echol's rifle going for these days?

AD was on to something big with that one ...

That is the funny part. Allen paid between $4,500 and $8,000 for his Echols rifles and he sold them all for $9,000 to $11,000 after using them for several years. In what way was that stupid?

Chet

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
this thread needs to die. allen is gone. let it go.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone remember what calibers he settled on in those Echols?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I recall the 300 WM was the only cartridge worthy.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he mentioned being on the waiting list for a .300 H&H also.

Terry

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
MAN I missed talking to that Guy, he enlighten me on my first custom build on who to go with(Mark Bansner). I didn't take his advice and SUFFERED the consequences. I've since took his advice and couldn't be more happier!!!!!! RIP Mr. Day.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that he could shoot the big 30's and good for him.

Its just that he went overboard saying what was needed.

Granted he hunted farther than I have but not longer or more.

Just my experience that a mechanical person can make a rifle work for regular hunting well for 60 years..

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time planning hunts, and hunting....the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end.

Allen Day

laugh

I have never heard of Allen Day but what he is quoted as saying I think is about right on. Most of us are more shooter's than hunter's. Therefore we need to buy rifle's to fool with. Hunter's generally do make good use of just a couple rifles and spend their money on hunting. I have known of people claiming to own extrodinary numbers of guns. More power to them if they can afford it. For myself, if I were more a hunter and less a shooter, I would have just maybe three rifles, perhaps only two. I've got ten rifles in the case now but time's past I've had over 20. A guy can't hunt with that many rifles but he sure can shoot them!

I have a few cousins that are hunter's. They hunt deer and elk only and each has one rifle that they have had about 40 yrs now. I can say this, they sure can shoot them!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

He had a 270 WCF, 300WM, 338WM, 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

Chet

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the thought that on this and some other things that:

"Sometimes there is more than one right answer."

smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Do you mean cartridges?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

smile

I totally agree. Allen's statement is only one of countless ideas that all have merit depending on the priorities and desires of the individual.

However, if that is the case, why did you feel the need to create this thread? Seems like someone with a pure "live and let live", "more than one right answer" attitude would have read Allen's opinion, and went about their merry way........

Chet

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Chetaf did you buy one of Allen's rifles?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This statement by Day:

.the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end

Some enjoy just shooting or working on guns or some of all.

smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK
Chetaf did you buy one of Allen's rifles?

Dink

Yes. I bought his 270.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/18/12.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps that quote by Day is not prefaced enough?

If he was talking about a gun for the all out dedicated trophy hunter then perhaps spending on more guns would take away.

Same for the dedicated target shooter.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would like to see pics if you don't mind sharing. Do you know the spec?

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps that quote by Day is not prefaced enough?

If he was talking about a gun for the all out dedicated trophy hunter then perhaps spending on more guns would take away.

Same for the dedicated target shooter.

I posted his full statement before, but here it is again. Also, here is a link to the thread where the quote came from. It provides the proper context for Allen's statement:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2148382/1

Chet

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dink

Sure, what specs are you looking for?

Chet

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
AD also was an expert on pre-'64 M70s, and his time working with D'Arcy Echols allowed him to develop an understanding of how likely a particular serial numbered rifle was to perform as the action in a custom rifle. He was happy to share that knowledge as well, and I always liked talking to him.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe D'Arcy is now selling his Ledgend rifles for $14,700 if the M70 action is provided.

$15,500 if not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Day seemed like a decent guy who lived by his convictions...
You could butt heads with him about an issue one day and ask his advice the next...

Hope somebody can see fit to say as much about me when i'm gone...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GregW

You have got some serious problems...

+1000

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's right. Remember that when you start pontificating ad nauseum about CRF rifles, 3 pos. safeties, and Zeiss scopes. crazy

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35

Do you mean cartridges?

yep. got me. wink Cartridges

AD did my marriage a great service. Years ago I showed the wife a running thread at the time about Echols rifles. He had banged a persuasive drum. I then showed her the price which was appx 9k then. After we discussed me purchasing an Echol's (and her shock at the price) I decided against the purchase.

That woman has not mentioned one nitpick at another rifle/scope purchase since then. She realized how bad "it could be" ha ha ... many thanks AD ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HA! HA!

She saw the abyss...

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I very much enjoyed what AD wrote. He was well worth listening to.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Bauer,

Chet

It's always easy to finger those who Allen handed them their respective asses and on more than ome ocassion including this rube and the originator of this post. RIP Allen we "got your six"...

PS: not you Chet!

There you go dreaming again whoreheyI.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Even if you didnt care for the guy, its in bad taste to dis a dead man.
The guy was self made, but even if he were not I wouldnt hold it against him for owning fine firearms that he thought were of value.

He wasn't self made and Barsness even commented on that fact.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

He wasn't self made and Barsness even commented on that fact.

So what?

Last edited by KCBighorn; 01/18/12.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

Chet

Nothing in particular.

I agree with most of Mr. Day's opinions and know that he was very opinionated about his personal dangerous game rifles. I just can't remember if or what he consider best for his standard rifles.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dink

Chet

Nothing in particular.

I agree with most of Mr. Day's opinions and know that he was very opinionated about his personal dangerous game rifles. I just can't remember if or what he consider best for his standard rifles.

Dink

Okay, it is a pre-64 action with a 22" featherweight contour barrel in a Legend stock with Echols mounts and Burgess bottom metal. It weighs 8.5 pounds scoped and loaded with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. This rifle was built before the EDGE stocks came out, or it would weigh about 7.75 pounds all up. I have been thinking of buying an EDGE stock from D'Arcy for a while, but I haven't got around to it. Either that or have D'Arcy make a second barrel for it in 9.3x62, in which case the weight would be about perfect.

Allen really loved the red pads, but I am still not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. After I scratch the stock up enough to have it repainted, I think I will have D'Arcy swap a black pad onto the rifle. On the positive side, it is easy to see the rifle if you lean it against a tree, or from an airplane for that matter. grin

It shoots 130 grain TTSX's into the .200"-.300" range at 3120-3140 fps. 130 grain Partitions go into about .500". 150 grain Swift A-Frames shoot into .750" at 2900 fps.

Allen never got to hunt with the rifle before he fell ill and sold his collection. I have hunted the crap out of it, so it has a few gray battle scars on the stock and a few shiny spots on the metal from riding around in saddle scabbards and on my pack frame.

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What did you pay for it?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

Chet

Nothing in particular.

Dink

Okay, it is a pre-64 action with a 22" featherweight contour barrel in a Legend stock with Echols mounts and Burgess bottom metal. It weighs 8.5 pounds scoped and loaded with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. This rifle was built before the EDGE stocks came out, or it would weigh about 7.75 pounds all up. I have been thinking of buying an EDGE stock from D'Arcy for a while, but I haven't got around to it. Either that or have D'Arcy make a second barrel for it in 9.3x62, in which case the weight would be about perfect.

Allen really loved the red pads, but I am still not sure it is exactly my cup of tea. After I scratch the stock up enough to have it repainted, I think I will have D'Arcy swap a black pad onto the rifle. On the positive side, it is easy to see the rifle if you lean it against a tree, or from an airplane for that matter. grin

It shoots 130 grain TTSX's into the .200"-.300" range at 3120-3140 fps. 130 grain Partitions go into about .500". 150 grain Swift A-Frames shoot into .750" at 2900 fps.

Allen never got to hunt with the rifle before he fell ill and sold his collection. I have hunted the crap out of it, so it has a few gray battle scars on the stock and a few shiny spots on the metal from riding around in saddle scabbards and on my pack frame.

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WOW! What a nice rifle! Thanks for sharing.

I would consider that about perfect. If I were you I would keep the red pad... grin

Thanks again for showing a great rifle.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What did you pay for it?

Who cares? And it's none of anyone's business.

Dink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm sure chit can answer for himself,he doesn't need a dink like yourself crying for him.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wow! I too am a lover of red pads and remember Allen posting a picture of that beautiful rifle.

Someone mentioned rifles Allen owned. I never new him other than through posts on here and Accurate, but seem to remember him having a Rem 700 .30-06 that he really liked also.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I also agree with Allen's assessment of limiting rifles and doing more hunting. Also, the .300 Win Mag is a great cartridge. Wish I would have known him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

FALSE. And why on [bleep] EARTH did you even post this, knowing the man is no longer with us to defend himself?? Pretty low class there ace, then again that's been your marque here and on AR ever since you've polluted the ether with your garbage.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

FALSE, [bleep]...rectal orifice... He also had a 270, 338, 375 H&H and 416 Remington.

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/18/12.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm sure chit can answer for himself,he doesn't need a dink like yourself crying for him.

I was trying to tell you in a nice way that sound like a whiney [bleep] (I am sure you are but you can try to hide it). Its obvious that you can't afford a rifle that carries the kind of price tag a Echols does and your jealous of those that can.

You can also quit telling yourself that your Savage is just as good as a Echols because its not.

Dink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
WOW whoreheyI calm down,allen was full of [bleep] and only someone with your limited grasp of hunting and rifles could be duped into believing that the 300 win mag performed like allen claimed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like your knowledge on the subject is about as good as Stick's knowledge on parenting.. I saw Allen on video take a Cape Buffalo with one shot from his 300 Win Mag,not to mention a truck load of animals world-wide, still, I'm no fan of the 300 Win Mag; bless your heart..

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/18/12.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

I was trying to tell you in a nice way that sound like a whiney [bleep] (I am sure you are but you can try to hide it). Its obvious that you can't afford a rifle that carries the kind of price tag a Echols does and your jealous of those that can.

You can also quit telling yourself that your Savage is just as good as a Echols because its not.

Dink

You and whorehey need to do a group hug with each other and calm all your angst.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I had this rifle built by Penrod because I could not afford an Echols. But it tells you which side of this debate I land on.

[Linked Image]

If you have not handled many of D'Arcy's rifles, or watched them work in their shop, you really should STFU. But then you would probably never appreciate a Rolex, a Porsche, or a $1000 hooker, who, in the words of the immortal Willie Nelson, could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You're right utah,for 20 bucks your old lady can hang with the average $1k hooker,I've seen it.As for chrome.I don't care what she does with it once it's in her mouth.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you go by jughead on as real as gets forum?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nope.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage, I fail to see the reason for including the cheap shot at Allen Day. Why not just state the argument?

BTW, do I recall sometime in the dim past prior to thy conversion, a ream of negative material aimed at Brno 21s...:)

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like your knowledge on the subject is about as good as Stick's knowledge on parenting..

That was completely tasteless and low class, Jorge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dink

Chet

Nothing in particular.

Dink

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a seriously nice rifle and I love the red pad!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Shipster
Allen was born July 30, 1957....
Wow...born one day after me. Makes me appreciate the health I have.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it absolutely was, but when you get in the pit with hogs and scum, it tends to rub off, and in that capacity stick's about as low and scummy as they get and I'm not apologizing. Cheers, jorge

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Allen Day
"

To each his own.

Some believe rifles exist to use for hunting.

I believe hunting exists to use my rifles.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Utah:

To get the chrome quote correct, the line came from the Redford/Fonda movie Electric Horseman and Willie was speaking about keno girls.

I own a Echols cap. Does that count?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allen would have loved to get in the middle of this! Too bad he had to leave so soon.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Dink

Chet

Nothing in particular.

Dink

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flat out Awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Splendid!
Don't change the pad! cry

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That stock does really well with a wide range of barrel contours; that Featherweight barrel doesn't look out of place at all.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Speaking ill of the dead...poor form...actually worse. Wish I didn't have to read such drivel.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.

You are an uninformed azz-wipe.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And you're an equally and sadly uninformed, jealous little man...

And one with a poor memory at that...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Totally agree, Brad!

Chet,
Would love to see pics of your 7mag if you don't mind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice toys

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Unfortunately allen left out the trust fund part that allowed him to pay for all the hunting.

Allen was phoney just like you brad,the only difference is allens old lady didn't make him sell a rifle in order to buy a rifle like yours does brad.

Allens money was derived from selling off his parents property and he was over extended and the market caught up with him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Allen was phoney just like you brad,the only difference is allens old lady didn't make him sell a rifle in order to buy a rifle like yours does brad.

Allens money was derived from selling off his parents property and he was over extended and the market caught up with him.

You can't spell or punctuate properly, let alone string a coherent sentence together, yet somehow you know anything about me or my friend Allen Day.

That IS fascinating... and unlikely.

I'd say uninformed azz-wipe fits quite nicely...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Stand up to mommy brad and make her let you keep a rifle without selling one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want to hear all your inside information about Allen's "trust fund"... this should be fascinating.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Selling off all his parents property to developers and pocketing the money was his trust fund.And over extending himself while playing the aristocrat and global hunter role was just as pathetic. Considering how phoney you are brad,it's no shock that you idolized allen.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
allen day>

Posted 29 January 2002 09:56
I own five of D'Arcy's "Legend" rifles. All of them will keep five shots under a half-inch at 100 yds; not only with select, premium-bullet handloads, but with factory loads as well.

Actually, I consider this to be the best custom rifle that money can buy, regardless of cost. It's built around classical riflebuilding concepts, yet it's also built around guilt-edge benchrest accuracy technology, so it sort of represents the best of all worlds. The "Legend" feeds better than any other custom bolt action available from any gunmaker, it shoots with superb accuracy, and it's stocked to handle quickly and to minimize recoil. It's the only true best-quality custom rifle available with a synthetic stock on today's market in my opinion. No one else builds a comparable product, and the more you examine one, the more you see. From Echols' superb, rock-solid scopemount to the exclusive Echols-designed/McMillan-produced stock, this rifle is as solid and dependable as it gets.

But then what else would expect from a man who gratuated from the Colorado School of Trades, apprenticed under Jack Belk and Jerry Fisher, and has been a full-time, best-quality custom rifle builder for his entire adult life?

Those famous-maker "beanfield" custom rifles are absolutely crude by comparison - and from every standpoint of consideration - plus they don't offer anywhere near the real value for the money, nor the performance. Most riflemakers with D'Arcy's sort of background abhor fiberglass stocks, but decided to buck that trend anyway, much to his credit. And yes, his still builds his high-grade custom rifle with a walnut stock as well.

Personally, I've found D'Arcy's to be all business; a highly intelligent wit; an experienced hunter; and a very honest, hard-working man who I respect highly and trust completely. You can do no better......

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 01-29-2002).]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Selling off all his parents property to developers and pocketing the money was his trust fund.

Hey dumbazz, that's not a trust fund, that's an inheritance. His parents were deceased.

Not surprising you don't know the difference.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Selling off all his parents property to developers and pocketing the money was his trust fund.And over extending himself while playing the aristocrat and global hunter role was just as pathetic. Considering how phoney you are brad,it's no shock that you idolized allen.

This is what happens when someone in an Occupy Movement tent camp has wi-fi access.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

This is what happens when someone in an Occupy Movement tent camp has wi-fi access.

Now that's funny. laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes it absolutely was, but when you get in the pit with hogs and scum, it tends to rub off, and in that capacity stick's about as low and scummy as they get and I'm not apologizing. Cheers, jorge

You just revealed a great deal in regards to your character or lack there of.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/20/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Although I would never be able or be comfortable spending enough money to buy a Legend rifle, I enjoyed Allen's other comments about triggers, shooting sticks, or whatever......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I'll make a note of it, right next to all the comments he made about my wife..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Selling off all his parents property to developers and pocketing the money was his trust fund.

Hey dumbazz, that's not a trust fund, that's an inheritance. His parents were deceased.

No it's called phoney.Just like you Brad.

You talk mommy into allowing you to keep a rifle without selling a rifle yet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No it's called phoney.

It's called taking what your parents left you and making something out of it... another name for it would be capitalism or free-enterprise.

Allen was very successful doing so and it's not surprising some anonymous azz-wipe on the internet is jealous.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Allen was very good at sponging off of his parents and his success ran out along with the market.Granted a manager of a DQ such as yourself brad would find that a noble cause.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PDNFTFT. TY.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cmg
PDNFTFT. TY.

+1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

So when ones ego is hurt its OK to sink to the lowest common denominator?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allen was very good at sponging off of his parents and his success ran out along with the market.Granted a manager of a DQ such as yourself brad would find that a noble cause.

Funny, I've been a custom home builder for quite a few years... you obviously have a hard time keeping up.

Allen "sponged off his parents?"

That's strange, Allen's dad died when he was a kid.

Allen was a friend for years. I've spent time with he and his wife. Allen worked hard and would be the first to tell anyone he had great mentoring along the way which helped him to become successful.

There is no such thing as a "self made man" and Allen would be the first to tell anyone that. Everyone gets help along the way... everyone.

"Running out of luck along with the market" would be nearly everyone in America who wasn't taking a government check... obviously hard to grasp for someone who's never done anything in life. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Again, taking shots at a dead man who you didn't know is about as low as it gets... it's obvious you're a jealous little azz-wipe.

I for one won't sit silently and let some internet jack-off create fiction about a friend not here to defend himself...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cmg
PDNFTFT. TY.

I don't don't do internet anachronism's... maybe you may want to put that in English or your native Deutsch.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
please do not feed the f'ing troll.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So what?
The man's passed on, Don. Show a little respect, why don't you?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

BWalker,

Do you hold larry accountable for the littany of inappropriate comments that spews from his little fingers?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Funny, I've been a custom home builder for quite a few years... you obviously have a hard time keeping up.

Allen was a friend for years. I've spent time with he and his wife. Allen worked hard and would be the first to tell anyone he had great mentoring along the way which helped him to become successful.

There is no such thing as a "self made man" and Allen would be the first to tell anyone that. Everyone gets help along the way... everyone.

"Running out of luck along with the market" would be nearly everyone in America who wasn't taking a government check... obviously hard to grasp for someone who's never done anything in life. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Again, taking shots at a dead man who you didn't know is about as low as it gets... it's obvious you're a jealous little azz-wipe.

I for one won't sit silently and let some internet jack-off create fiction about a friend not here to defend himself...

Thanks for the laugh Brad.So allen was only able to sell off his mothers acreage to finance himself?

So is mommy going to allow you to buy a rifle without selling one yet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by utah708

Thanks for the clarification in English, though still not aware what "TY" means.

Point taken and agreed on...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

BWalker,

Do you hold larry accountable for the littany of inappropriate comments that spews from his little fingers?

I think that's a perfectly appropriate question...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by utah708

Thanks for the clarification in English, though still not aware what "TY" means.

Point taken and agreed on...

Means thank you.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Travis... I find the whole anachronism thing an annoying PIA.

grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks for the laugh Brad.So allen was only able to sell off his mothers acreage to finance himself?

So is mommy going to allow you to buy a rifle without selling one yet?

Simply amazing how a dead man can have such a strangle hold on a [bleep] like yourself. Laffin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for weighing in olddouche.You and Brad should give each other a cyber hug.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BWalker,

I Sure do and am not condoning anything he may have said..
However, I have never seen Stick sink to the level that Jorge did. Commenting on a fathers parenting skills after the fathers son committed suicide strikes me as lower than low. In fact if I was in Sticks shoes, Jorge would be swallowing his teeth after I was done with him.
I am not a stick follower, but wrong is wrong.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/20/12.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
WhoreheyI is all about the swallowing part.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BWalker,

I Sure do and am not condoning anything he may have said..
However, I have never seen Stick sink to the level that Jorge did.

Glad you're attempting to keep things balanced.

larry however deserves whatever he gets IMO. If he acts like a civil adult I'll change my position.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back on topic, I have been in the recent past a grand poobah of the gun switching pet load tinkerers. Now, (and admittedly life circumstances have much to do with this) I am down to a couple of older SAKO CF 22's for rodents, a 257WBY, an uberfast 33 I call the 340 Tyrannosaur, and my semi custom 416 Rigby. None have really high true cash values. BUT, All are set up like I want and like and are wonderful tools in my hands and I really cannot think of a hunt that I could ever go on and be not be quite well armed with one or another of them. I see Alan Days point.

I also do consider it quite poor taste - unacceptable actually -to be whinning about something he said now that he has passed on to his reward and cannot come and defend.

I would hope that had my recent heart attack or nearly deadly recent infection had taken my life this past month that no one here would have taken cheap pot shots at me right after, post mortem.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm starting to think that Bauer accepted the free hat from D'Arcy for his commission on the last sale he made. Now he's angling for a free sticker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoy this site, and have learned a lot from hunters much more experienced than I ever will be. I'm not interested in every section here, and usually just cruise a few. Now and then something comes up that's pretty tasteless. Usually I just keep moving along when I read something I don't agree with.

But have to admit, this pretty much takes the cake. Not sure why, what the point was, or what satisfaction was gained. I do know that Allen Day taught me a lot about hunting rifles. Didn't know him, didn't always agree with him, but respected his views. His views were gained by experience I'll never have.

Savage 99, I don't get it. Just don't.

May Allen Day rest in peace. And I sure hope his family don't see this....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

sorry for annoying you with the abbreaviations.

BTW, below is the german version:

"Bitte f�ttern Sie die Trolle nicht. Danke sch�n."

I have not met Mr. Day but from what I read here on the fire, find him to have been a man I would have like to hunt with.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

grin

I can't stand it.

But I do like to say "GFY" a lot at work, and when people ask what it means I say "good for you". grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

grin

I can't stand it.

But I do like to say "GFY" a lot at work, and when people ask what it means I say "good for you". grin

Travis

Maybe it just a Montana thing. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI, ancronyms in RL serve IMHO and AFAIK to quicken things considerably. YMMV, of course. BTAIM, the TPTB come up with new ones every day. So, RTFM. But, WRT Brad and deflave and the MSH IG, (ITSFWI), I shall refrain from now on until TEOFWAWKI. MTFBWY, BFF,

TMU

...(PMSL)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Maybe it just a Montana thing. laugh

What? Anachronistic acronyms? laugh

Is there an acronym for fellows who pick arguments with deceased members?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by free_miner

Is there an acronym for fellows who pick arguments with deceased members?

Absolutely... "MORON" (Man Of Rude Overt Narcissism)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cmg
FYI, ancronyms in RL serve IMHO and AFAIK to quicken things considerably. YMMV, of course. BTAIM, the TPTB come up with new ones every day. So, RTFM. But, WRT Brad and deflave and the MSH IG, (ITSFWI), I shall refrain from now on until TEOFWAWKI. MTFBWY, BFF,

TMU

...(PMSL)

WTF?

grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's nothing wrong with his thinging. It's a great idea to buy quality products, and use them. It is interesting to me how many "mediocre" firearms people own, and the cash tied into them, when you could have put in ~ $1000-1500 have have a very nice rifle, scope/ mount outfit. I don't view having 8 rifles/shotguns in the sks/mossberg/rossi/NEF/surplus sporterized military as "wrong", but at $200/pop, you could have a truly nice outfit.

That being written, it's fun to acquire a rifle to see how it's made, shoot it, and see what it is like (as well as to to research the history of it). I do it. I bought a sporterized 303 British No 4 mark I Longbranch just because I never had one. I picked it up for $125. Got some used dies and brass, and loaded up a 100 rounds with it. Shot it, and learned what it would do (3 inches at 100 yards with irons). Learned to take it apart/reassembly, and had a good time with it over a summer. Didn't need it and sold it for $175 with dies/brass.

So, no problem either way. Today, I'm paring things down, and keeping "quality". I don't have any fancy stuff, but "keepers" are JC Higgins FN 98 Mausers (2), Sako A series rifles, SW prelock revolvers, and some nice 22 LRs (SW 41, Anshutz 1411, Rem 540x). By "nice", I mean very accurate.

But I do like the idea of focusing on quality. Price points vary to the individual budget, so I'm no snob about that.

Really, there's nothing new about his comments. It works, but so do other buying motives.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With the money I have spent on building/buying guns I could have bought a Legend in 300 win mag that would do everything I needed it to and been done with it. However, it wouldn't have been as much fun and pulling the trigger on the purchase of a 15K rifle is a bit tough for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
DILIGAF..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cmg

TMU

...(PMSL)

GFY... grin

Travis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=jorgeI]DILIGAF.. [/quote
FOAD!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=jorgeI]DILIGAF.. [/quote
FOAD!

Quote button kicking your ass is it?

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say a majority of errors i have seen occur in the field have come from folks just not knowing their own rifle well enough. Whether it be its operation, ballistics, its idiosyncracies or even ability to shoot accurately with th recoil of the weapon. This has lead me to believe most folks, including myself, would be much better of with fewer rifles that they just know backwards and which are optimised for them. And let's face it, most of us get less time shooting and particuarly less time in the field than we might like. So i 'spose i come down on the side of Mr Day. Like Mr Day, i am down to two rifles. I may add one more.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by dhg
...So i 'spose i come down on the side of Mr Day. Like Mr Day, i am down to two rifles. I may add one more.

Me too. After this past season, I'm now down to three rifles and that's it: Model 70s in: 270 win, 300 win mag and 416 rem mag.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
John: Should not the 416 REM, be a 458 WIN... wink

Keeping with the Winchester theme..

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Of course he is 100% right, and actually mirros the way I now feel. The flip side two that argument is it has taken me probably 30 rifles over the years to realize that there is no magic combination but a lot of perfectly good combinations that one could choose from..

The second argument is like many I spent many years confined by job and family obligations and budget. This contributes in two ways. I couldn't afford to buy the rifle of a lifetime or so I thought for much of my life and second being limited in my actual hunting opportunities as described I bought stuff to fuel my dreams of the hunts I would never go on.

I told my buddy the other day that when we first met I had a 16 ga 870 and a remington 788 in 6mm. That's all I could afford at the time and I have never shot anything that those two guns wouldn't have handled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I was younger, in long guns I had an A-5 12 ga, a BAR .30-06, and a .22 Marlin 39. I usually killed a deer or two each year and a few bushels of quail.

Now that I'm old, I have a bulging safe full to overflow with long guns, can't chase quail, and am no longer mad at the deer. One may come along someday big enough to shoot. Something indeed is wrong with this picture.

We have a little over two weeks of deer hunting left. Maybe....., maybe not.

One doesn't have to spend 8K or more for a good rifle. In the eighties, I picked up a custom stocked .30-06 FN with the nicely contoured factory 24"barrel that was lapped. IIRC, I gave $465 for it back then, which would likely translate to more like 1500 today.

Although I am guilty of buying, selling, and trading rifles, I have actually come out ahead. I have upgraded my armory to several nice pieces. The purely gun money stash has grown as well as the numbers of guns.

Meanwhile, I have been and still am fortunate in that except for a few years, have not had to pay for hunting. My bags are not as varied as some, but white tail and desert mule deer are my favorite pursuits. Throw in predators, a few exotics, and I have been pretty happy. I was too "busy" when elk was offered up, big mistake. Also, I let life interfere when Nilgi and alligator were offered. Untimely deaths happen and offers go away.

Bottom line , Mr. day was half right. I have too many guns, but the prices for an Echols are not required to have a good gun.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/14/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Allen Day

laugh

Well, you definitely have the dead end part down

Moron

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I didnt know the man as I'm new around here I like the thought of a couple good hunting rifle and the rest spent on shooting, reloading, hunting etc. Im trying to be that way myself...but its a struggle as Im OCD about guns. From the looks of things, Mr. Day was into some seriously spendy hardware! I tend towards custom guns myself but of a much more pedestrian variety.

There are some very wrong things happening in this post gents...ive read it top to bottom and am shocked to say the least.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why did you resurrect a discussion that is nearly 4 years old?

Particularly a discussion initiated by Don/Savage 99.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting to see this old thread resurrected after so much time. Also interesting to see that the same a-holes back then are still a-holes now. No wisdom gained and the same tired old nonsense being repeated ad nauseum.

I took a very long break from this forum basically for the same reason this thread is so distasteful. Nonsense and disrespect for others and an awful lot of internet bravery being displayed. Even though I was probably one of the first dozen people to start this forum when Rick invited me over and I've made some very good friends on this forum, they are all gone now- chased away by the disrepect, rudeness, and just downright low class actions of so many on what used to be the best forum on the internet, IMHO.

I knew Allen Day but not as well as I would have liked. We both had busy schedules and never quite were able to get together more than once or twice. He was at all times the kind of guy I instantly liked and respected- a straight shooter, hard worker, and knew exactly what he wanted and would work hard to get to that point.
Allen may or may not have had money before his business took off- it matters not. He worked as hard as it took to make his business successful and believed in enjoying the fruits of his work. As is his right.
He could afford an Echols rifle when so many could not, but I believe he meant to convey that he appreciated the Echols for what they were - the very best tool he could find to pursue his favorite hobby. Hard to argue with his logic. He also could afford hunts we all would love to take. He also wouldn't have been the only one to have lost his fortune during the tough times of the 90's. Many of us in this area suffered for many years when the economy and other things went to hell in a handbasket.

I only recently returned to this site to find that not much has changed so I may or may not hang around. But it is still sad to hear of the passing of my friend who I had lost track of in busy days of life and running a business. There is a special place in hell and the memories of men for those who speak ill of the dead.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.