Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
HS rifles shoot quite well and have an M70 style safety. I like Cerakote over the other finishes you mentioned.

I had a Cooper M52 Custom Classic in .30/06. The full Monte, with Turnbull color case hardening, custom LOP, Howell swivels, etceteras. It shot well, but was quite heavy for an '06, the magazine had to be removed to load additional rounds and the safety doesn't lock the bolt. IMO, a beautiful rifle, but not a practical hunting rifle unless you are just sitting in a stand (which I don't).

I waited 19 months for it to arrive, kept it for about a year and sold it for more than I paid.

My advice is to look at a new FN made Model 70 or a Kimber. Both can be had in either traditional wood/blue or composite/stainless for a lot less money than the rifles you cite. And they do shoot well!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 8nbait
I want to get into long range shooting so accuracy is the key here. I have started saving a little each month so price definitely matters, but I don't mind saving longer if that is what it takes.

What is long-range to you?

Just LR shooting or Hunting as well?

There is a lot to the art of long range shooting than just buying a rifle. The rifle, optics, load development, bullet, ballistics...etc., and acquiring the tools and skills to load match grade ammo is nearly always a must.

If that is not part of the plan, then the ability to acquire over the counter match grade ammunition loaded with match bullets will be essential...that makes caliber choice an important part of the equation as well.

So, if long range shooting to you means targets at a known distance within say 800 yards, 308 might be a better choice. ie., lots of match ammo available, low recoil, long barrel life...308 is popular for a reason.

HS builds a fine rifle, but there are quite a few factory rifles and over the counter semi customs that are very capable as well.

Rem has about a thousand variations to choose from in their catalog, also look at the Win M70 Coyote series.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
8nbait Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Long range to me would be 500-1,000 yards. I am mainly interested in the challenge of it since I was a long time bowhunter but would not consider a shot on live game until I was sure of my skills.

The reason I decided on the 7mm mag was it seemed like a good blend of mild recoil and downrange energy (when I do get around to hunting long range). I did't plan on buying a rifle and heading out to try and kill something at 800 yards, although some people probably do. I like to do my homework and dont mind putting in my practice time.
I do plan on reloading in the near future.

Thanks to some insight from our members here I am pretty sure I will be buying a Remington XCR II to start and custom features as necessary.

I appreciate all the input, this place is a wealth of knowledge.
Gary

Last edited by 8nbait; 01/16/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.