Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am in the process of looking at 2 LH 30-06's and would like some input from owners of these rifles (I would like actual feedback rather than gun magazine reviews as they tend to be biased). I am looking at a stainless Tikka T3 30-06 and a Savage 30-06 I would like owner input on pro's and con's of each to help build a base platform for my decision also feel free to toss in your ideas and input for other makers of Left handed 30-06's.

Thanks in advance

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've had 3 Tikkas and the action is awesome, the trigger is the best on a stock gun I've every shot, and all my Tikka's have been absolute tack drivers with just about every handload and factory load. I don't like the Savage's I've handled. I do like the location of the safety though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My brother has a stainless/synth savage 30/06, and it shoots 150 grain fusions right about moa.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Savage rifle always feels more like a collection of parts than a rifle to me.Maybe this is because many Savage owners like to brag on how easy it is to change boltfaces and barrels.I used to own a lh 116 in .338 win and the only things that broke were the stock and the pin that holds the bolt head on.The accutrigger is a neat gimmic,but it can get uncocked.

I did'nt own my T3 lite long enough to break it. If it had been a 30-06 I might have kept it long enough to buy it an aluminum floorplate .

I'm now shooting a stainless lh Ruger.
If it don't work out I might buy another Tikka.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't care for a ton of things on my T3. The one size fits all action, the protruding plastic magazine, the plastic TG and bolt shroud, the feel of the synthetic stock, the ridiculous recoil luggette inlet into the stock, and the overall aesthetics of the rifle.
Not to mention how SLOW that barrel was. With only mediocre accuracy I saw no reason to keep it.

Savages ain't pretty but they're strong, accurate and they lend themselves well to modifications and customization.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy American

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Buy American

Written on a Chinese computer.

FAIL.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Tikkas I've handled were NICE... I love the way the bolt feels like it is sliding on glass and their reputation for accuracy... but I've never owned one.

I have a couple of Savages and they're an awesome value, though I've not owned a LH/SS rifle of theirs.

If I were you I'd let the fit/feel of the individual rifles make the decision for you; I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
go to the gun store pick up handle and cycle 1 of each ,bet you leave with the Tikka

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Buy American

Written on a Chinese computer.

FAIL.

still laffin'.....

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the input I am very PRO American (I wouldn't be sitting in Afghanistan if I wasn't). But at the same time I want a nice well rounded rifle that I wont be afraid of taking into the Alaskan back country when I get home on R&R and post deployment as I should return during the fall bear season. I have had mixed emotions on the savage and the Tikka. And I have steered clear from Remington as I have had nothing but issues with my past Remington rifles. I may also look into the Ruger's but right now I am on the fence with the Tikka and Savage brands.

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
About 3 years ago, I was in the same boat (paddling right handed though). I whittled my choices down to Tikka, Howa, and Savage. Although I prefer a tang safety, I went with the Tikka, it just cycled so smooth and it feels good in my hands. It shoots good too, no problem finding loads that will do an inch or less for 3 shots @ 100 yds.

FWIW,

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for the Tikka...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Anti american bastid...... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As I sit here typing on my chinese computer I am still thinking, buy American! Give the Ruger Hawkeye a look if you have have questions about the Savage.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The ONLY bad thing I have to say about Tikka is that they persist in making a .270...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
And no 7x57...... hmm what's that tell you?...... wink

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tell's me they have no panache, and no soul....

But load development, as Royce said, for a Tikka consists of putting a cartridge in one.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Savage or Marlin XL 7...

I know that Ingwe is getting angina over that recommendation....

but either will hold up in the brush, plus if you ever want to change to another caliber, either would be much easier and cheaper to do so..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like the Marlins...for the money...definitely....

I don't like the Savages, if they are free.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.