-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Was it off at 1260? Im assuming the 4.2 Moa was the dope for 520? Have you checked your scope to see if the click values are true 1/4moa? I had a Nightforce and a USO both be a little off from their stated 1/4 moa adjustments. What do you think the reason for your 1/2 moa error was at 520? Do you think it was the rangefinder itself?

I have played with g7 ballistics calculator on the Gunwerks website and it was right on with my shooter app. The only time i noticed a difference was when i had the Shooter app setup for a scope that wasn't true moa.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ok, I used it a bunch today. I set up to shoot at 800 yards. I used the BR2 to measure this distance. The Leica told me it was 797. I then looked to a ballistic solution. The BR2 told me I needed 11.7 MOA and my Shooter program told me 13.4 (I think). I had two targets up so I shot one with each. The 11.7 MOA was not nearly enough. The 13.4 was just a little high.

I finally decided to double check all my inputs and found that I had put in the velocity of the 130 grain load but the BC of the new 140 Hybrid. When I corrected the velocity, they both matched to the decimal !

They were the same at least to 1200 yards so I am convinced it has as good an algorithm as any.

I have not tried the Vectronix. When someone sends me one, I will do so and report. I do not know anyone who has one nor have I seen and handled one that is under $20,000. The one I played with was very heavy. I played with them at the SHOT a couple of times.

The BR2 is bulky but light.

When the unit is set up to provide a ballistic solution, you only get to see the range momentarily. I have no idea if what I am seeing is the horizontal distance or true line of sight distance. The instruction book is as thick as my bible so I only read it once grin

It ranges further than anything I have ever used or tested (can't count units I have played with indoors at shows) and it provides instant ballistic solutions, ostensibly, out to 1400 yards. That is pretty impressive.

The down side is that it is quite bulky and would probably have to be carried in a pack. It doesn't feel very robust but I didn't break it so who knows?? It has a great focus and great eye relief. I don't see the need for the tripod mount, I have no problem steadying it and getting readings as far as 2100+ yards. I just used shooting sticks most of the time. I used fence posts, windows, edge of truck door, tree branch etc. I was able to range my target at 800 today just using it off-hand but it took a few tries. I could not do it with the Leica- too small. I had to use the fence post for it!

I have to admit, it does what it says it can and apparently, does it well.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks a bunch Dennis. Basically your review copies the one I did in the optics forum. The only difference is you have A LOT more open spaces to test it out in AZ. I am in Indiana and am very very limited to how far I could range. I was extremely puzzled why your ballistic solutions were not matching up at first but you figured it out and got the same results as me. As with all new products there are room for improvements but G7 is definently on the right track. Maybe I will send Aaron at G7 a copy of this page and let him chime in here and answer some more questions you guys might have. Thanks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the review. It sounds like this unit could work for my use, though it also sounds like it would be right out to the edge of it's practical capability in less than ideal conditions.

A
A
The ballistic algorithms are the same in the online ballistic calculator at www.gseven.com and in the G7 BR2 rangefinder, so you can calculate online and check out your corrections before inputting and using the RF.

Remember it will calculate a Shoot To range or the MOA correction, it measures LOS distance, Shot Angle, Pressure and Temperature to calculate the solution.

When you are in MOA mode, one button press will display the LOS range for 1.5 seconds, then flash to the MOA correction.

Vertical surfaces will reflect the laser better. The field results seem to show that.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey there Aaron thanks for showing up. Maybe you can answer some of these guys questions.

M
M
Aaron

Does the BR2 rangefinder accept G7 BC's or just G1? Does it automatically degrade the G1 BC or is it based off an average G1 BC?

Dennis

Thanks for the answers in field testing. Have you tested the ballistic solutions to it's max effective range, or close to it, to see if it matches your actual dope (i.e. longer than 800yds)?

The reason i ask is, using a G1 BC at longer ranges, the G1 drag profile algorithms usually don't match the actual drag of most VLD bullets. I have found that the G7 profile is more accurate, or stepping the G1 bc's over different velocities (like in the NF Exbal program entering multiple bc's). Some newer programs use an algorithm that automatically degrades the G1 bc's and these also are very accurate (more so than using an average G1 bc).

T
T
I'll post some exchanges I had with Aaron concerning the technicals for the BR2. I don't think he will mind because it helps everyone interested to understand the functions of the BR2 and why the BR2 functions the way it does. I am still on the fence between the BR2 and the group buy on the PLRF05.

My question:

Does the BR2 compensate for multiple BC's, Coriolis, or spin drift?? If not, do you plan to add this??

Is there a return policy if I buy it and it doesn't work for my shooting style??

Reply:

The unit can use G7 or G1 drag model based ballistic coefficients. Multiple BCs is an old school way of solving the problem. Try calculating your data at www.gseven.com, and use the trajectory validation feature to fit your data. The rf uses the same calculator.

Research how the unit works before you make the purchase, then you will have no question about whether it will fit your shooting style. Please call me directly if you have any questions.

We do not comp for coriolis or spin.

My next question:

Thanks for the reply. How can you not account for Coriolis and spin drift if you are going to be accurate > ~800 yards?? I played around with the G7 Ballistics program and that looks pretty good but at 1000 yards, I might be 12 " off in a zero wind situation simply because of spin drift and Coriolis. At 1400 yards, this error appears to be ~ 20 inches according to my Ballistics programs (2900fps Sierra 142, .264, 1-9 twist, 39deg North, Az = 355deg) . That is the only weak link I see in the BR2, beam divergence isn't that bad, otherwise, it is probably a "buy"

Answer:

For a round that is delivering enough velocity to be effective terminally at 1000 yards, zeroing your gun north or south only puts you off a couple inches vertically at 1000 yards. Same applies for spindrift. I zero my rifle at 600 to 800 yards, and have no concerns about compensating for drift to 1000.

If you are shooting a 308 win, different rules apply...

I'm still not sure I want to carry a rangefinder, iPhone (with Shooter or the Ballistic Field Tactical app, and a Kestral) Having the BR2 and the Kestral is plenty... ???

by the way.....this is my first post on this forum, Cheers shooters !!

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used the G7 BCs as supplied by Brian Litz and in the most recent case, as printed on the box of Berger bullets since the 140 Hybrid is not in Brian's book (not even on the market yet). The BC is .317. This proved to be pretty accurate in my limited testing. I had somewhat of a head wind component and that is tough to figure.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you input one profile at a time?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes you can. It will store up to 5 profiles. Just scroll to the one you want and use it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Yes you can. It will store up to 5 profiles. Just scroll to the one you want and use it.

Five is enough to make a hunt, but just enough to make me mad. I shoot to much stuff.

Is there a port of some type to tether it to a computer? If you could create a library of profiles and only load the five you want at a time that would be okay.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
It is all done on the unit itself. No computer needed. Unless you hunt with 5 different rifles at a time 5 profiles is plenty. One profile covers all the varibles for one cartridge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is all done on the unit itself. No computer needed. Unless you hunt with 5 different rifles at a time 5 profiles is plenty. One profile covers all the varibles for one cartridge.

Actually I would think one profile would cover all the variables for one load. Am I mistaken there?

WHy would five profiles be plenty? I often thake more than five rifles to my longrange spot to shoot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
One profile one load. Profiles are easily edited and can be done in the field in a few minutes. It stores 5 but you can edit them all day ling if you wish.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by EddyBo

Actually I would think one profile would cover all the variables for one load. Am I mistaken there?

WHy would five profiles be plenty? I often thake more than five rifles to my longrange spot to shoot.

If you are going somewhere that you can take 5 rifles, you can take your laptop or whatever else.

The beauty of this system is that it does it all for you in about 1.5 seconds. You don't have to enter anything one a profile is in.

It is not convenient to change profiles every time you shoot as you have to scroll through the alphabet plus special characters to spell out just the name of your profile. The rest of the changes are a snap.

I realized that I put the wrong velocity in and it took me about 10 seconds to fix that problem. I only put one profile in it.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
M
If the batteries die do you have to re-enter the information or does it save your ballistic profiles?

I think i need one of these.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
If you batteries die it still saves your profiles.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is all saved so that you can safely change batteries. It doesn't take much juice to save the memory. It uses a CR123 which is a pretty stout battery. This one has lasted quite a few pulses!

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.