Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I find his books to be laugh out loud funny. Hear similar stories about hard times from older relatives. Just good funny stuff. Anybody else like him.

Last edited by magshooter1; 01/20/12.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got all of his books! Rancid Crabtree is exactly like the old man that taught me how to trap, reload, and blow my nose without a hankie. grin He did a great job of teaching me everything my mother wouldn't allow my father to teach me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh yeah....Never Sniff a Gift Fish. Great stuff.

Rancid Crabtree...I gotta respect that guy.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Theory and Application of Old Men should be required reading.

"Ah recall a time when a bobcat got loose in Poke Martins plane. Funniest thing ah ever seen. Old Poke, he was running supplies into Pat Doyles camp, up Terrible Creek. Terrible Creek, that where ah cought a 20 # char on a pience of bacon rind..."

Here is to P. MacManus.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tenner shoes was one of my favorites!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep I like him alot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Reading him offand on for ~25 years. He used to have his stories in the back of Outdoor Life.

Last year my wife was telling me about this book on tape she got from the library for long trips. She was telling me how funny and good it was and that I had to listen to it. She just picked it up on a whim and never heard of the author. Well we were driving along when she pops it in. I said that is was Pat McManus to her utter amazement. I think she figured I just read high toned novels and gun magazines. Fooled her on both counts. She didn't realize I had a few of his books in my meagher library to which I offered her to read.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmg
Theory and Application of Old Men should be required reading.

"Ah recall a time when a bobcat got loose in Poke Martins plane. Funniest thing ah ever seen. Old Poke, he was running supplies into Pat Doyles camp, up Terrible Creek. Terrible Creek, that where ah cought a 20 # char on a pience of bacon rind..."

Here is to P. MacManus.

Carl,

Either you have spent even more time in North America than I am aware of, or your sporting education in Germany was unusually complete!

I discovered Patrick F. McManus when I was a teenager and remember laughing out loud at several of his tales.

The story where he shot a deer then tied the "dead" deer on his bicycle (with its hooves lashed to the bike pedals) to take home was great! grin

This one is perhaps my favorite book of his, but they are all great:

[Linked Image]

And I just noticed you can get a used copy from Amazon for under 5 bucks (plus shipping) HERE or for 7 bucks from an Amazon affiliate who will ship internationally (same page).

John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really enjoy the story telling of Pat McManus.

μολὼν λαβέ
Love his stories. Which is my favorite? My knee-jerk response would be "The last one I read," but off the top of my head the last time I read "The Grasshopper Trap" it brought me to tears, I laughed so hard.

Author, "Where's the One About the Bobcat?"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, classic stuff. Reminds me of my childhood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago I met Rancid...and his twin. We were hunting and had just walked out of the forest onto a single track road. We hadn't any more started walking along it when an old pickup came by and stopped. The driver and his passenger both had long gray hair, wire rim glasses, and were probably in their 70's. They had an old mangy dog in the back. They stopped and rolled down the window to talk. WHOOOEEEE! The fumes just rolled out the window and hit us like a 30-06. It would gag a maggot. The last time either of them had seen a bath tub was just after the Great War.
Then they started talking. They were straight out of McManus.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad would read his stories to us when Field and Stream?? came to the house, or he tried to read them to us as he kept breaking up with laughter.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck
Dad would read his stories to us when Field and Stream?? came to the house, or he tried to read them to us as he kept breaking up with laughter.

I hope your Dad is still with us!

However, if not, him cracking up as he tried to read McManus would be a great memory that you could relive any time you wanted.

If fact, a memory of a father cracking up with laughter would be a great way to remember any father!

John

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by cmg
Here is to P. MacManus.

I discovered Patrick F. McManus when I was a teenager and remember laughing out loud at several of his tales.

This one is perhaps my favorite book of his, but they are all great:

[Linked Image]

John

I was given this book as a high school graduation present from a neighbor. I have since bought most of his others. Super Funny stuff!

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Oh Lord, yes! I grew in the area where he did, went to the U of Idaho, and did just about as many dumb things to boot while growing up. The whole series of books had me laughing out loud. Simple life, simple people, and making easy of hard times, what a trip down memory lane.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good stuff for sure.
Enjoy his as much as capstick and more than gierach.

Clay
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple years ago I met Rancid...and his twin. We were hunting and had just walked out of the forest onto a single track road. We hadn't any more started walking along it when an old pickup came by and stopped. The driver and his passenger both had long gray hair, wire rim glasses, and were probably in their 70's. They had an old mangy dog in the back. They stopped and rolled down the window to talk. WHOOOEEEE! The fumes just rolled out the window and hit us like a 30-06. It would gag a maggot. The last time either of them had seen a bath tub was just after the Great War.
Then they started talking. They were straight out of McManus.

Old fellas like those ones do not bathe as they would wash off their "protective layer"...grin...Required reading (for young men soon to marry) is Pat's "Gunrunning"...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is no outdoor humorist that will ever come close to McManus's ability to keep me laughing like an idiot while my wife wonders what the hell she married.

If you dont dig his style, you've either never spent any time outdoors, or your dead.

Jeezus, Ive got a [bleep] eating grin just thinkin bout it!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i cryed thur all of his books and f&s/OD-life days, and have a "signed copy of "the nite the bear ate gumba....my spellins off by my heart is rite.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.