Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outstanding!!! cool

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
dj,

I thought I pretty much decided what handle material I wanted, but that handle on your Bravo-2 looks awesome. What is it made of?

Thanks

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]
standard canadian compared to lil' canadian.--cranky72

Last edited by cranky72; 01/17/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deputy30
dj,

I thought I pretty much decided what handle material I wanted, but that handle on your Bravo-2 looks awesome. What is it made of?

Thanks

My Bravo-2 has black canvas micarta scales that I lightly sanded...........dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bark River Manitou:

[Linked Image]

......................dj

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Early Bark River:

[Linked Image]

................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Bark River Manitou:

[Linked Image]

......................dj

That's the one that trips my trigger the best.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Is the handle on the lil C shorter and thinner? It looks to be smaller but I can't tell from the picture how much smaller. Which handle feels better in the hand? Which one do you like using better?
I have a Highland Special, which is pretty close in size to the Lil Canadian but I think I would like the smaller handle better than that of the Can. special...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
mighty the lil is 4 by 11/16. the reg cana is 4.5 by 3/4. both handles fit med. to fairly large hands. for our tex. deer which run about 115 lbs the lil cana is much handier. for elk , deer over 200 & hogs i opt for the regular canadian.cutting up veges for camp the reg. canadian is better.--cranky72

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any of you knife guys out there ever been to the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show in Harrisburg? If so, have you seen Bark River knives on display there? I could probably sneak there one day if you thought I might see some BR knives.

Thanks

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Any of you knife guys out there ever been to the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show in Harrisburg? If so, have you seen Bark River knives on display there? I could probably sneak there one day if you thought I might see some BR knives.

Thanks

Deputy.

Call Bark River. Ask them if the Have any stocking dealers in that area and then call those dealers. Chestnut Ridge knife Shop in the Pittsburg area carries them for sure.

Another option is simply dealing with a dealer that will let you return a knife if it does not fit well(and you return it unused). Really when you think of it is is no different than buying clothing or a pair of boots. Actually when you figure your time and gas, the return postage might actually be much cheaper.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You are right jim. But I had a bad experience once trying to return an unused pair of boots and I said no more big purchases through the mail. And for me this falls in that category.

Since I'm talking to you jim I have a question. I really like the natural canvas micarta color, but the only matte finish I can find is the black canvas. How does the matte finish affect the overall look and does it give the knife a tougher or more durable finish.

Thanks

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You are right jim. But I had a bad experience once trying to return an unused pair of boots and I said no more big purchases through the mail. And for me this falls in that category.

Since I'm talking to you jim I have a question. I really like the natural canvas micarta color, but the only matte finish I can find is the black canvas. How does the matte finish affect the overall look and does it give the knife a tougher or more durable finish.

Thanks

Well first of all, regarding returns every Bark River stocking dealer is a family run operation. If you call them up and say you have it narrowed down to two knife models, and if you could order both and handle then and return the one you don't want- they will give you a straight answer and stick to what they promise you. I think as long as you actually keep one of them they will be fine with it.. wink

As to the matte finish. If you want it done, send it to Bark River later and have then done it for you.

Micarta is not "finished" really. The finish is IN the material as it's full resin impregnated. About the only time Micarta could be considered to have a finish is when it's high polished and waxed . It is done to produce a high gloss more than for the weather resistance.

All matte finishing does is the same thing it does to steel on a rifle- just dulls the finish. On Micarta sand or bead blasting abrades some of the Resin out in between the weave of the fabric surface which creates a bit more of a "nubby" texture. Be aware it is NOT as grippy as stippling or checkering on grips etc. But it's got more grab than high polished Micarta.

A Matte finish dulls the colors a bit but if you rub a rag soaked with WD -40 (or better yet, Armoral) on the handle it will deepen the colors, mainly because it scrubs the dust out of the surface.

Last edited by jim62; 01/20/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW I can highly recommend Chesnut Ridge Knife Shop in Latrobe,3862 RT 30 WEST. They are good people. When I was working nearby I bought a few knives from them and had them make me several of their custom sheaths including this one for my Bark River Canadian:

[Linked Image]

(Why I needed another sheath for that knife is a story I probably shouldn't tell.)

Anyway if you are in that area you should drop by, Tell them Dave from Oklahoma said hi :-) .....................dj

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
While Chestnut Ridge and myself are in the same state, we are at the opposite ends of PA, with a 4 hour drive between us. Besides, this will be a good excuse to go to the Sportsman Show in Harrisburg.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
While Chestnut Ridge and myself are in the same state, we are at the opposite ends of PA, with a 4 hour drive between us. Besides, this will be a good excuse to go to the Sportsman Show in Harrisburg.

Yep.

And if you go here-

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...;osCsid=b8f2335d16458d60e67abb6d37ff4abf

I bet they have the models you are looking for. You could pay the postage to return 2 or 3 Bark rivers back to them for less than the gas/ vehicle expense to any shop within an hour's drive of you.. I think that is the point we were trying to make.

It is very possible there would be some dealer at the show with Bark River knives but since it is a general Sportsman's trade show and not a knife specific show I kind of doubt it..

To all gunmaker critics-
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In looking through their on-line list of knives, I don't see the model I am interested in, which is the rampless gunny. However, your point of returning knives through the mail after deciding which one I would want is well taken.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In looking through their on-line list of knives, I don't see the model I am interested in, which is the rampless gunny. However, your point of returning knives through the mail after deciding which one I would want is well taken.

Thanks

You might check with them here:

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompa...;osCsid=14e5e11a826d6a54d9471c5806b2a0ce

I've bought a few things from them with zero problems. Haven't met them in person though :-) ......................dj

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
GamesKeeper II spalted maple --am partial to this model and to rotted wood...:)

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

DLT Trading--Jason

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
STS 3 and STS 5:

[Linked Image]

....................dj

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.