Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is like digging thru a solid thick wall of 10 year old dry wall, like sheetrock that has absorbed moisture, crystalized and dried out and solidified.

If you have ever unearthed an old adobe hut that has been buried for a thousand years, that is almost like it is only harder. I have no idea why the mexicans want to take it back but they do.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've sat on ram hoes for hrs tryin to break a knob of caliche in a ditch

PTO posthoe digger - lmao- we aint got potato dirt here

bachoe ram dont get it - we get the bigger track hoe hammer

post apic of a 5/6 shank ripper bucket for caliche

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LouisB
I see a bit, where is the hole?

I see potential..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
From the 'caption this' files, I give you my humble entry:

The Last Thing I Saw,

by Hunter1960

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
damn, just thinking about using a post hole digger in caliche has made my sciatica flare up.

Words that dont go together... "caliche soil" grin

Actually in the past few years I've had to dig maybe five bird house poles in the stuff, 36" deep and 24" wide.

"Digging" don't describe it, "carving" is more like it. And that 60" iron nail with a pointy end at one end and a chisel end on the other is your best friend (I forget how much it weighs 30lb maybe??).

You learn right away to let the weight of the nail do the work, trying to stick that sucker in there with muscle power hammers yer joints real quick. Just drop the nail reg'lar and put aside all thoughts of "hurry". The post hole diggers become what you use to lift the pieces out once the hole gets deeper.

Thats just Texas caliche, I would expect Arizona caliche is harder yet. One good thing is that a pole set in caliche NEVER shifts, everything I set in our local black clay tilts constantly. Clay or caliche? I'll take caliche every time.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

The Last Thing I Saw,

by Hunter1960

LMAO

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by norm99
thats a wonderful range ,good on you guys ,

just what is the soil you are going through,please discribe
norm

G'Mornin', Norm.

I think some of the other fellows here have covered the basic "Caliche Story",......would just add that it's one of the few geological structures that you actually have to go POKE, PROD, and SHAVE to get a feel for "What next?", that being which Tool, what sorta' Drilling fluid, and whether that will be a Bentonite or a foam type,.....

It can be VILE stuff to work with, and at the same time probably one of the better "Bedrock" foundations one can tie a structure to. Out here in my zone, we get an added challenge, that being High Volcanic Silicate content in the overburden ,.......so your tool will not only "skate" on the Caliche, it also grinds itself to death in the process. Aggressively SHARP tooling, and VERY high down pressure capabilities are mandatory, in consequence. Once a tool "Skates", the worked face of the cut can develop a Glass Smooth, Mirror like finish. "Surfactant" type drilling fluids ( Dish Soap'll work) seem to have an edge, and it's not uncommon for conventional "Mud Rotary" outfits that work in zones where Caliche is encountered to have "Foam Injection" as a backup solution.

Caliche, one of the original "Drilling Problems" from ancient times forward,.....

Nothing that one challenges with a farm tractor and a post hole auger,......the comments about it not being "Potato Soil" were bang on. wink

Best regards,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/20/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by GeoW

The Last Thing I Saw,

by Hunter1960

LMAO
whistle grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Last Thing I Saw,

by Hunter1960

laffin' here

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
We're putting in Target Stake Pockets for our Youth Group, Ladie's Group, and Apple Seed,.....We bought a 15 Amp, 65 Lb electric "Demolition Hammer" and went to work with a regular chisel bit last week,......horrible HARD work was all we got.

There's more to do, both on our Competition and Public ranges, so I cobbled this beast up this afternoon out of a standard "BullPrick" and 3 "Twin Tiger" Back Hoe Teeth with their pockets cut back.Just done testing, and gotta tell ya, this is one happening unit.....I mean a HOLE DIGGIN" FOOL ! cool One 'Set", Hammer, pull, and muck out the hole.

Thought there might be some others here that have to fight with Caliche Soils, and that I'd pass it on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mount that on a three point and the fur ought to fly!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is not really a "straight rotary" setup,....

needs percussion, though SLOW rotation would make it more effective.

With rotation, production would go up, but wear rates would too,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a jack hammer once. I tweaked my wrist when I picked it up. I put it down and concluded I didn't ever need one. grin

What Rancho said about Central Cali. Much of the valley floor is hard pan a few inches under the top soil. I had one house near a 100+ year old fig orchard, and I asked a farmer how in the heck they dug the holes for the trees, back in the day. His answer was, "dynamite, of course".

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
when i was 18 i had to dig a trench for a water line, in calichie using one of those bars birdie mentioned. took me weeks to dig that 12 inch deep 300ft trench.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cross, I'm dumb about Caliche, so if this is a stupid question tell me. What does high pressure water do to it, ie taking a pressure washer and pointing it down the hole?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we use calichie for ranch and some county rd's because it doesn't turn to mud when its wet.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mink
All of a sudden I have the hankering to watch Mad Max... grin

Dang. I was thinking the exact same thing. wink

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.