Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
30 yrs ago on the Squirrel while packing out a moose I packed out a bone in moose (4qutr,2 ribs,all other meat,cape,and rack in 4 trips. A couple of days later my sciatic nerve went beserk and still hits me about once a yr.
It hasn't got me in the field though, but after the season usually at home.

I tend to use more than enough gun
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago, I went bow hunting with a buddy on one of his properties. He showed me the tree to go up with my climber(at 5 am) I was about 25 feet up until I was stopped by a big branch on the back side of the tree. When the sun broke, I noticed that there was a huge bee hive hanging from the branch.

All was good until I decided to get down aroung lunch time. Apparently, Bees don't like a guy in a climber cluncking down a tree and I got the living crap stung out of me! Probably 75-100 of em! yep, it sucked.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wildone
First trip to AK, was not supposed to be solo but wound up that way when my partner no showed. Killed a caribou and while rushing to cut him up before daylight was gone I put the the smallest of small slices with the tip of the knife on my left forearm on top of the veins that go to your wrist. It barely drew blood but it made me think of what I had in my firstaid kit should it have been worse. I was not prepared at that time but now carry a quick clot sponge and dressings. A valuable lesson not an injury.
Only minor injury suffered was on a goat hunt. I had my gear, half the camp, and a full bull body Mt goat cape on my back coming off the hill. I killed it late in the day and we spiked out on top for the night. Got a little rain that night just enough to make is greasy coming off the hill. I had the friggin instep crampons in my pack and should have put them on. Sure enough left foot slid out on me, bow in left hand down I went bent it backwards pretty good and dislocated it. Poping it back in wasn't bad at all but I tore up a bunch of something in there cause it swelled up in a hurry and big. Gotta say though never have any issues from the sprain to this day. Thats the 1 and only time I had an injury.

Caribou and mountain goat?
Envy envy envy!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is an old addage that teamsters use concerning driving a team or a single horse. That is if you have never been in a run away, you have not driven much.

That pretty much sums up about hunting.If you haven't been hurt one way or another,you have not hunted much.

Add four legged equine critters to the equation and the percentage goes up a lot faster.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There is an old addage that teamsters use concerning driving a team or a single horse. That is if you have never been in a run away, you have not driven much.

That pretty much sums up about hunting.If you haven't been hurt one way or another,you have not hunted much.

Add four legged equine critters to the equation and the percentage goes up a lot faster.

I have never been hurt hunting but I made my living in hunting country.

Jayco

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess one has to define hurt. From a cut finger to a broken bone.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I guess one has to define hurt. From a cut finger to a broken bone.

grin

Owe!!!That's a pretty big spread old timer...

Jayco grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blew the ACL, MCL, and meniscus in my left knee all in one shot on the third day of a goat hunt in BC back in '04. Did manage to finish the hunt though.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lets see this will be my 52 season, hmmm. Knife slashes, requiring stitches, falls in snow, in rocks, on rocks, upside down on buckskin logs. Crashes with ATV, worst to date is double hernia, while packing out 6 point bull by myself.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sometimes when I zip my fly.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yup it is a leave me alone kind of deal. But somehow camp crap well when you start to rake trees with your bare head and talk to the moon well I guess the camp should now. but I Got It Unzipped!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
I didnt exactly hurt myself...a four wheel ATV helped...alot..... cry
Those ATVs can get you for sure, although I think the old style 3 wheelers got more people than the more recent 4 wheel variety.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Luckily nothing serious for me but I was hunting with a buddy (he's 6'5" about 280) a few years ago who impaled his nut sack on a barb of a barbed wire fence. He stepped on the bottom wire to climb over and it snapped when he was straddled over the top wire. It ripped his sack open and I had to drive him to the ER for stitches. I've never climbed a barbed wire fence since.....always crawl under!

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was elk hunting in NE Oregon a bunch of years ago and came upon about 10 acres of pine trees that had all been snapped off about three feet off the ground and were all laying the same direction (wind blew them over). After about 200 yards of trying to 'wade' over them, I just said "screw it" and started walking on to of the logs. Which is, of course, when it decided to rain. Not such a good idea, it turns out, for big old 300lb. bubbas to try. Slipped off a log and tore up my ankle something fierce. Didn't take off my boot 'til we got back to my buddy's place, then it swelled up like a balloon. The rest of the season was a special kind of fun, let me tell you.

My Whelen did survive without losing zero, though.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mainly just cutting myself a couple times while gutting deer.no stitches though.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Went off a 15 foot bank in the dark while riding motorcycle up a single track trail in the dark. Broke ankle....now have rod, six screws, and two pins holding it together.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turned my right knee good last Friday morning while hunting some flooded timber in Arkansas - damn thing is still smarting.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just read the entire thread. If I was a conservative, I'd hold edged weapon trainings for hunters. If I was a liberal, I'd ban knives! Ever consider quartering your game rather than gutting?!
I tore my meniscus 5 years ago backpack hunting, finally had surgery last month. Chopped my wrist with a hatchet building a lean to shelter.

LOL
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My pard killed a 6 point bull who went to the bottom of a real $hit hole canyon to die. We field dressed him and rode back to camp. Next day we tied the horses on the ridge and led the pack horse and mule down the canyon and quartered the bull and packed him out. After we got back to our horses we mounted and started back. We ran into a backpacker and his son and dog. They were real nice people but the irish setter had never seen a horse and ran up and sniffed my horses hocks. He blew up and went to bucking. I pulled him up and he started again, I really got hold of him and he tried to slide to a stop but slipped in the slick rock and fell over backwards landing on top of me. He broke my left collar bone and skinned my bald head up pretty well. It sure was a long ride 8 miles back to camp and 35 miles over the mountain to the doc.
I have had a lot of horse and cattle wrecks over the years but this was the only one hunting and pretty minor at that.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I cut my thumb while cutting the wind pipe of my first black bear many years ago. Pretty tight quarters on a bear.

Oct 2010 I was hunting a big 140 class 8 pt. Went to one of my stands that had a broken branch that I should have replaced with a screw in step. Still doable but a streatch between steps. I had my foot positioned wrong on the step and blew the peroneal tendons in my ankle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6 weeks non weight bearing, blood cloots, lots of pain meds, and physical thearapy.
I am now 100% back to normal.

My buddy's 14 year old son shot that buck right behind my house, 23" wide and scored 141 P&Y.

Be careful out there!!!

JD338

Last edited by JD338; 01/21/12.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.