Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dess
Just got back from a couple of days hunting pheasant on public land in eastern Colorado. Eastern Colorado isn't known for being a dream location for pheasant by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes, seeing birds close enough to determine hens from roosters can be a challenge. Getting something to flush within gun range is even tougher.

Usually, it's my brother and I walking fields. Getting birds with two guys and no dog is tough in this pheasant paradise.

My brother and I came across a guy with a 10 month French Brittany pup. We hunted a half mile square field of 2-3 inch sparse wheat stubble. That dog found and pointed a couple of hens where I would've bet money nothing was there. I was very impressed with the dog. The owner says he works like crazy but wasn't a spaz at home.

I've been looking for a new hunting dog afer my German Shorthair died. I like the GSP, but it was too big for my taste.

Anyone else have any experience with the French Brittany?

I had a Brittany a long time ago that was without a doubt the best foothunting dog I have ever been behind. Pheasants,Quail,Rabbits,Woodcock and Duck just an out and out hunting machine.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I had a Brittany a long time ago that was without a doubt the best foothunting dog I have ever been behind. Pheasants,Quail,Rabbits,Woodcock and Duck just an out and out hunting machine.

Thats the way the brittany that I had was. I had a friend that told me that I needed to break her from from pointing rabbits...I said WHY?.... confused she didn't like the taste of woodcocks to much but she would still point em.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would not hesitate to recommend Plum Creek Kennels and yes you might want to check their waiting list. There is another guy in ID but I can't remember the kennel name that I have seen one of his dogs and heard some good things from more then one person on. I got mine from a guy in Lubbock TX but I can't remember his name and I couldn't find him on-line. My dog was an accidental breeding between his bitch and a stud from Plum Creek. Best pointer I ever owned.

Highly recommend Plum Creek. Bill and Kathy are the best breeders for French Brits, IMO. There dogs are worth the wait in my experience.

Rolling Red Prarie Kennel is another place I would consider.

Bill and Kathy at Plum Creek are super serious breeders and trainers. Their farm is literally crawling with pheasants. A drive past their place in the evening is a real eye opener. Just unbelievable numbers of birds a couple years ago. (I don't know how the 2011 winter and wet spring affected things last year, but previous years . . .)

I have a Plum Creek female that I purchased in December of 2002 and she has been a fantastic hunter and companion. I find it hard trying to imagine hunting pheasants without a French Brittany.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
395 members (1lesfox, 222ND, 320090T, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 692 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,596
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.