Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dess Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got back from a couple of days hunting pheasant on public land in eastern Colorado. Eastern Colorado isn't known for being a dream location for pheasant by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes, seeing birds close enough to determine hens from roosters can be a challenge. Getting something to flush within gun range is even tougher.

Usually, it's my brother and I walking fields. Getting birds with two guys and no dog is tough in this pheasant paradise.

My brother and I came across a guy with a 10 month French Brittany pup. We hunted a half mile square field of 2-3 inch sparse wheat stubble. That dog found and pointed a couple of hens where I would've bet money nothing was there. I was very impressed with the dog. The owner says he works like crazy but wasn't a spaz at home.

I've been looking for a new hunting dog afer my German Shorthair died. I like the GSP, but it was too big for my taste.

Anyone else have any experience with the French Brittany?

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a year old tri-color French Brit. This was his first bird season. He found and pointed pheasants for me in SoDak. Good little hunter. He is small sized but big in heart. He is my first FBrit. He is good in the house. Stays with me around my place and doesn't run off. Very friendly. I'm pleased with him.
[Linked Image]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You could do worse. smile I don't know why a French Brittany wouldn't work.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't say, yet, how good a hunter mine will be. He's just seven months old. We are just starting to serious hunting, but Eastern grouse are tough, even for a dog that's all grown up. I can say that he has been the easiest puppy I've had and the most biddable. There have been a bunch of bird dogs over the years. He has just reached 40 lbs and is as big as he's going to get. His Mom was between 30 and 35. His Dad was about 40. He's birdy, points and quarters instinctively, and he listens. He doesn't have an agressive bone in his body. All the neighbor kids stop by to see him when they get home from school. He has a way to go, but sure shows promise. He has won my wife's heart, something no other bird dog has done. He is even allowed to sleep on the furniture. It took me fifteen years of marriage before I was allowed on the furniture! His most surprising trait is to visit with visitors when they show up, and then he heads off for a nap. Pretty amazing stuff for a pup. My Labs and GSP's were just a pain when company came.
Wish I would have known about French Brits years ago. Small dogs with big dog hearts.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don;t know a french brit.. But a friend always have has had brits.. All house dogs.. They have done it all in regards to hunting.. Wild Quail, pheasant... Ducks in water/land. Geese water/land no joke.. Thor had the goose by the head and the rest was on the ground.. He would barely walk.. He would not let you help.. He was so proud... I miss Thor.. His predecessor "Brit" was another card.. If she was dove hunting with you and you started to miss she would move to the next gunner... Great Dogs..

The one he has now just doesn't have the same opportunities as the others but still a great dog..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
yep Brittany's are the best!! May have a little favoritism beings how I have 1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There was a well known outdoor writer from Missouri (whose name escapes me). He ran French Btittanies for everything upland and was very high on them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My first French Brit Taku he was an amazing grouse dog. I sure miss him.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
duxndog Thats a good looking tri-color. Also the leggest French Brit I have seen. Where is he out of?

D
Dess Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm thinkin' I'm going to get one in a couple of years. Not a good time right now for a pup because of the time needed.

Any reputable breeders you have dealt with? Should I start thinking about getting on a waiting list?

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would not hesitate to recommend Plum Creek Kennels and yes you might want to check their waiting list. There is another guy in ID but I can't remember the kennel name that I have seen one of his dogs and heard some good things from more then one person on. I got mine from a guy in Lubbock TX but I can't remember his name and I couldn't find him on-line. My dog was an accidental breeding between his bitch and a stud from Plum Creek. Best pointer I ever owned.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad has had a Plum Creek Brittany for te past 10 years and is absolutely the finest pointer I have ever seen. It is a bit weak on its retrieving skills and instincts which can be hit or miss for these Brits. What it lacks in reteiving it makes up for in personality. The neighborhood will mourn when his dog dies. Every French Brit I have been around is extremely good with kids and kind disposition.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine retrieved naturally. I was surprised when he went on point at 9 months old (only basics done in training) I shot bird went down and pup was on it like he knew he was supposed to bring it back to me.

I will say mine was a ball of terror in the house. Great with other dogs, kids, and people. Just was always full of energy even after a hard day of hunting.

Edited to add: Les Bois is the Breeder in ID.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/19/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
duxndog Thats a good looking tri-color. Also the leggest French Brit I have seen. Where is he out of?

I got him from a breeder in Utah. His grandfather is "Tatoo" from Plum Creek. I think the way I'm holding him makes his legs look pretty long. He's leggy but regular built on the ground. He's very athletic. Can really jump! I like his looks.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He is a very good looking dog.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A WORD OF CAUTION: I've owned a bunch of F.B. in the last 10 years +/- and while they've been great hunting dogs, all but one ended up with hip dysplasia. One turned out to be a fighter as well.

You will find only one breeder in America that runs his F.B. (to my knowledge) in Hunt Tests and his last name is Rice in Arizona. He's the only breeder I'd use. IMO, the F.B. is simply not worth the extra money. Great dogs but when I replaced my last F.B. I bought an "American" Britt.

There are so many F.B.'back yard' breeders with lots of talk and no proof I'd be darn careful. Many are breeding for color as the tri is very popular. I could write a book about them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The American version can have hip dysplasia problems too, you want to buy from OFA certified stock if there's any doubt. Responsible breeders have their breeding stock certified, big red flag if they don't.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

You can get aggressive American Britts too, caution in buying from field trial lines.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You're 100% right on WRT dysplasia and breeding. Sadly dogs with 'C' hips are bred all the time with other 'C' dogs. If a breeder is responsible he'll not breed across or down but this is not the case far too often. And when HD shows up there is far to often the 'sweep it under the table'.

I've bred my F.B. (B hips) with an 'A' bitch and that is the way it ideally should be done. Also the height is not considered far too often.

K
K
I own two plum creek brittanys and they are exceptional dogs. I am also friends with their owner. They do not under any circumstances breed dogs with inferior hips in their kennel. They have all dogs hips graded prior to breeding and provide that information to the dog buyer. If you're looking for a dog that will hunt till his feet fall off, dive into a river to make a retrieve, and then come home and sleep on the couch French Brittanys are your dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know, I should be looking for another Britt and hadn't considered the French variety. I'd want primarily a companion dog that hunts well, how are they around the house? Most of the year isn't hunting season so I want a dog with a calm demeanor and one that doesn't head for the other side of the section. Nothing wrong with a line bred primarily for hunting, a cousin had a good line going but were bred to hunt with horses so they GO, not what I'm looking for.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
246 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 308Palma, 38 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,237
Posts18,371,380
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.