CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6066013 - 01/19/12 03:12 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: Dess]
MontanaCreekHunter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: 99821/06810
I would not hesitate to recommend Plum Creek Kennels and yes you might want to check their waiting list. There is another guy in ID but I can't remember the kennel name that I have seen one of his dogs and heard some good things from more then one person on. I got mine from a guy in Lubbock TX but I can't remember his name and I couldn't find him on-line. My dog was an accidental breeding between his bitch and a stud from Plum Creek. Best pointer I ever owned.

#6066231 - 01/19/12 03:56 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: MontanaCreekHunter]
trouthunterdj Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Northwest Iowa
My Dad has had a Plum Creek Brittany for te past 10 years and is absolutely the finest pointer I have ever seen. It is a bit weak on its retrieving skills and instincts which can be hit or miss for these Brits. What it lacks in reteiving it makes up for in personality. The neighborhood will mourn when his dog dies. Every French Brit I have been around is extremely good with kids and kind disposition.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark

#6066527 - 01/19/12 05:00 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: trouthunterdj]
Campfire Tracker

Mine retrieved naturally. I was surprised when he went on point at 9 months old (only basics done in training) I shot bird went down and pup was on it like he knew he was supposed to bring it back to me.

I will say mine was a ball of terror in the house. Great with other dogs, kids, and people. Just was always full of energy even after a hard day of hunting.

Edited to add: Les Bois is the Breeder in ID.

Edited by MontanaCreekHunter (01/19/12 05:12 PM)

#6066714 - 01/19/12 05:41 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: MontanaCreekHunter]
dukxdog Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter
duxndog Thats a good looking tri-color. Also the leggest French Brit I have seen. Where is he out of?

I got him from a breeder in Utah. His grandfather is "Tatoo" from Plum Creek. I think the way I'm holding him makes his legs look pretty long. He's leggy but regular built on the ground. He's very athletic. Can really jump! I like his looks.
Heritage Foundation

#6066750 - 01/19/12 05:49 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: dukxdog]
Campfire Tracker

He is a very good looking dog.

#6069240 - 01/20/12 10:47 AM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: MontanaCreekHunter]
Sawtoothhigh Offline

A WORD OF CAUTION: I've owned a bunch of F.B. in the last 10 years +/- and while they've been great hunting dogs, all but one ended up with hip dysplasia. One turned out to be a fighter as well.

You will find only one breeder in America that runs his F.B. (to my knowledge) in Hunt Tests and his last name is Rice in Arizona. He's the only breeder I'd use. IMO, the F.B. is simply not worth the extra money. Great dogs but when I replaced my last F.B. I bought an "American" Britt.

There are so many F.B.'back yard' breeders with lots of talk and no proof I'd be darn careful. Many are breeding for color as the tri is very popular. I could write a book about them.

#6069550 - 01/20/12 12:19 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: Sawtoothhigh]
nighthawk Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NE South Dakota
The American version can have hip dysplasia problems too, you want to buy from OFA certified stock if there's any doubt. Responsible breeders have their breeding stock certified, big red flag if they don't.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

You can get aggressive American Britts too, caution in buying from field trial lines.

#6073080 - 01/21/12 10:20 AM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: nighthawk]
Sawtoothhigh Offline

You're 100% right on WRT dysplasia and breeding. Sadly dogs with 'C' hips are bred all the time with other 'C' dogs. If a breeder is responsible he'll not breed across or down but this is not the case far too often. And when HD shows up there is far to often the 'sweep it under the table'.

I've bred my F.B. (B hips) with an 'A' bitch and that is the way it ideally should be done. Also the height is not considered far too often.

#6078711 - 01/22/12 02:02 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: Sawtoothhigh]
KAR2 Offline

I own two plum creek brittanys and they are exceptional dogs. I am also friends with their owner. They do not under any circumstances breed dogs with inferior hips in their kennel. They have all dogs hips graded prior to breeding and provide that information to the dog buyer. If you're looking for a dog that will hunt till his feet fall off, dive into a river to make a retrieve, and then come home and sleep on the couch French Brittanys are your dog.

#6078903 - 01/22/12 02:54 PM Re: French Brittany?? [Re: KAR2]
nighthawk Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NE South Dakota
Good to know, I should be looking for another Britt and hadn't considered the French variety. I'd want primarily a companion dog that hunts well, how are they around the house? Most of the year isn't hunting season so I want a dog with a calm demeanor and one that doesn't head for the other side of the section. Nothing wrong with a line bred primarily for hunting, a cousin had a good line going but were bred to hunt with horses so they GO, not what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
HUNT with JJHACK!  CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
600 registered (1minute, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 17varmint, 10generation, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 1554 Guests and 327 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627370 Topics
8991601 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.