Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I spent the afternoon sorting through several boxes of once-fired range brass (PD range). Most brass was Lake City, Winchester, and various mil-spec, but I have a couple thousand cases of a brand I can't identify. The headstamp says "PSD" across the upper aspect, and "0 3" on the lower aspect. Primers are sealed with red lacquer.

Anybody know anything about this headstamp?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
South Korea, I think.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think my Dad bought some PMC 55 FMJ with that stamp.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
South Korean.

Looks to be decent brass, about like LC.

All mine are crimped primers.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm:

Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd., Seoul, Republic of Korea (probably at the Dongrae Ammunition Plant)

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, guys. I figgered it had to be foreign. The red lacquer seal on the primers tells me they're probably crimped.

Weight of the primed cases is pretty consistent. Haven't done a water capacity test or any measurements, but it LOOKS like good brass, and I got several thousand rounds of it for FREE, so I wanna be able to use it.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
devnull, thanks for that link!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I picked up a couple of hundred of them as range brass a few years ago... they have held up and have been rather serviceable..

I separate my brass into zip lock bags in lots of 10, and then keep a 3 x 5 card in there, where it follows the load history of the brass..

I neck size them and then bump the shoulder back with a body die when needed, and anneal the necks every 4th shot...

I have several of those batches of the PSD brass that has seen 30 plus reloads so far... that is out of bolt guns.. not an AR..

no casualties..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch out for off-center flash holes.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been using several hundred of them in my AR's with no issues. Seems like good brass to me.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Seafire... that's useful information, amigo!

I've got two big Acro bins full of the stuff. It's all pretty much guaranteed never-reloaded, being swept up off the floor at Milwaukee S.D. range... dunno what brand of ammo it was, but with the crimped and sealed primers it looks like it was loaded for full-auto or select-fire M4's/AR's.

I was off today, so I went into town and as it happens I stopped in at the big gunshop. They have a sweeeeeeeet laminated thumbhole stock Savage model 12 with the heavy fluted barrel on the rack. Even my Lady was impressed with the style of this rifle. I haven't had a bolt varmint rifle since I sold my Remington 700 Sendero about 10 years ago... I may need to delay a handgun purchase or two to buy this rifle.

Then I'll have a dedicated rifle for this lifetime supply of PSD brass!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Doc,

if the brass does need to have a crimped price pocket cleaned up, I finally picked up an RCBS prime pocket swag set up which included the stuff for both the 223 and 308 faced brass...it was less than 30 bucks and I used it casually over a period of time to clean up a couple of thousand rounds of Federal brass off the range when the state police were shooting..

I did it on the bench over a month or two...50 here and there...
soon it was all done..

also as a hint, if you do swag out the primer pockets on mil spec brass, each may have a little 'hangnail' of brass that can make priming them hard.. ( I use a hand primer)...

my way of working around that problem, was to always prime them with Winchester Small rifle primers first.. their sides are the softest, so they will bend and not fight you the way say CCI's will since they evidently have real hard sides to their primers..

however after the first primed with Win primers, it cleans off any obstruction and then you can use ANY primer then with zero problems..

I know a lot of stuff about this reloading mil spec primered brass... and I bet more than a lot of other members... because I bet I have found more ways to do it wrong than anybody else...
so by exhausting all the wrong ways, I am finally pretty knowledgeable on the right ways.. grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Seafire, I have the Dillon primer pocket swager.

Good to know about that "hangnail" deal... hope I don't have to deal with it. I don't like using soft primers in my .223 brass, as it could end up in one AR or another, and I've heard of slam-fires with WW primers. Never had one with CCI primers, though.

And yeah, it sounds like you've become an expert in this area, by the usual method. "An expert is someone who has already made every possible mistake". I'm not sure who said that first, but it gets quoted in lab research circles every now and then, usually to someone who is well along the road to becoming an expert. BTDT.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.