Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've booked the bobsleigh run in St Moritz. Just cannot pass that up. I took my girl friend on a trip in the past and surprised her with a two jump sky diving event, this time with the bobsleigh run. She will probably stop doing trips with me. In June we are darting a Rhino at my hunting camp, she is unaware of that too!

I figure everything else after that 75 seconds at 5gs she will love and be grateful to be on foot

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Eye of London is a must do-if you have a clear day. Your girlfriend may also enjoy afternoon tea at Harrods-my wife loved it. West End shows are good for the evening (don't worry about dress code-we saw everything from sweat pants to formal gowns). For Amsterdam, I recommend the Rijksmuseum. It is my favorite museum for art. The Night Watchman is particularly impressive.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Then I would like to avoid a hotel in St moritz due to the hotel prices. Nothing under 500 usd per night I can find.

From there to Paris for a few days. Then thru the chunnel to London. It would be nice to switch trains in zermatt to head to Paris without a hotel as well. What's up with St moritz? The low price hotel is 500 bucks!

My wife and I have had very good luck with vrbo.com to find vacation places. Here's an apartment in St Moritz for what I think is 338 USD a night

http://www.vrbo.com/266573#rates

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Lived in London for 4 months .... did daily afternoon trips exploring the city...All of the above are great Ideas... most all the museums are free or a least were when I was there.... neat little place I found while walking one day.... Churchill war room... Near westminister's Abby... underground bunker comlex where churchill waged the battle of britian from... really neat.....imperial war museum....Greenwich is a neat little trip...naval maratime muesum/ Cutty Sark... Reagents park if the weather is nice, unbelievable gardens..... Cambridge/Oxford/ Bath all neat trips that can be done in a day via commuter train..... ST Pauls... neat to see inside...was in therre one afternoon an listened to the boys choir... really cool even though its not my cup of tea ... the clink prison museum along the river near the battleship... midevil torture stuff ... very interesting.... so much to see and do in that city.... after I saw the big stuff I would just get on the tube and go to different places.... not a bad way to visit either... horseguards park- the queens guard does daily shows, interesting to watch.... dont miss out on any chance to drop in local Pubs and get a pint... most have local brews... hope it helps

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SwampCritter
Lived in London for 4 months .... did daily afternoon trips exploring the city...All of the above are great Ideas... most all the museums are free or a least were when I was there.... neat little place I found while walking one day.... Churchill war room... Near westminister's Abby... underground bunker comlex where churchill waged the battle of britian from... really neat.....imperial war museum....Greenwich is a neat little trip...naval maratime muesum/ Cutty Sark... Reagents park if the weather is nice, unbelievable gardens..... Cambridge/Oxford/ Bath all neat trips that can be done in a day via commuter train..... ST Pauls... neat to see inside...was in therre one afternoon an listened to the boys choir... really cool even though its not my cup of tea ... the clink prison museum along the river near the battleship... midevil torture stuff ... very interesting.... so much to see and do in that city.... after I saw the big stuff I would just get on the tube and go to different places.... not a bad way to visit either... horseguards park- the queens guard does daily shows, interesting to watch.... dont miss out on any chance to drop in local Pubs and get a pint... most have local brews... hope it helps

Damn! I wish I had known of the Churchill bunker! I would really like to have trod where the great man did...

Maybe on my next visit. Great info on this thread!

John

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's getting closer for me, I would just as soon skip Paris altogether but I am traveling with my Girlfriend who has never been to Europe. So it's worth the one overnight to see The Eiffel tower and Notre Dame. I will make the France trip again and then take the train to Italy. On this trip I would like to have the time to see rural france, but the paris thing for me, ..... well once was enough years ago.

The Bobsleigh run in St Moritz is what I'm most anxious for! It will be 75 seconds out of 2 weeks, but it's all I can focus on right now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It's been a while but as I recall , one floor of the London Airport is set-up to help visitors . They asked my price range and recommended a Hotel within walking distance to Harrods Department Store and even made the Hotel Reservation. Harrods was an interesting store including food , cars , everything . The rain in March got me very wet even with a Raincoat & umbrella on long walks . Hotel was clean , very small rooms , very old fashioned , but I could walk to a lot of Museums . The sandwich Shops on every street in London were surprisingly good . Went to Purdys and Holland & Holland but was kind of surprised at the small quantity of Firearms on hand ( this was quite a few years ago ). On the ride from the Airport to the Hotel , I made contact with a great Cabbie and got his Phone Number . Later , he took me and another Hotel Guest on a Camera Tour of London ( we split the cost ). That was really worth while as he put us in position to take some great pictures . In Paris I liked the Louvre ....my favorite was not a painting , but a statue at the head of some stairs ..." winged Victory at Samothrace " as I recall . Napoleons Tomb , Notre Dame and the Ecolle Militaire were interesting . I was well treated in both London and Paris . You could not pay me enough to drive on the left in England ! Loved the speed limit on A-6 in France , but got lost a few times . Brings back some nice old memories . PS : if you go where there are large numbers of people like Pompedue ( sp? ) Plaza ( all sorts of free entertainment from Jazz Singers to belly-dancers ) in Paris watch out for pickpockets .... I was lucky as I had mine in my shirt pocket as I got tusseled around by a group and was " padded down " as I was off-balance .

Last edited by boy1; 01/24/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Pompidou" (Just like Marylin song ... "Pom Pom Pedoo" grin)

George Pompidou became president of the French Republic in 1969, when C. de Gaulle quitted his charge as he was feeling dismissed after the may '68 events and their consequences.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_gman
I'm originally from the UK and I would look at the Imperial War Museum, the British Museum or the Victoria and Albert Museum. The IWM is a MUST see.

Forget hotels; go with Bed and Breakfast places, lots of them in London and a fraction of pricey hotels. Google is going to be your friend and look for sites with actual reviews from real folks who have stayed there recently. Stonehenge is well, underwhelming unless you absolutely have to see it. I would stay in London and see the museums and visit the aforementioned high end gun shops. You can always visit Harrods and Fortnums and Masons (high end shopping) for the female unit. Don't forget the London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and well, a crap load of historical and cultural places.

DON'T get sucked in by con men selling all kinds of tourist crap, there are hundreds of 'em in London. Have a good time but seriously, pass on Stonehenge. If you want to get out of the city, go see Windsor Castle instead. It's a lot closer to London and there's a lot more to see.

Have some fish and chips for me as well as some English beer.... ;-)

Jim,

This is the best post of them all. I've highlighted the good stuff. Throw in a trip to Hollands and Purdy's as mentioned above. The Imperial War Museum defies description. My wife still raves about it 10 years later!

St, Moritz is the Euro Aspen and it's ski season. Pricey! All major cities are pricey for hotels. No Motel 6 in London or Paris. $300 is reality. Check B &B's.

Have a good time!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Got to tell one story of my trip to London : I was walking down the street and passed what looked like an abandoned Hotel . In front was a huge pile of clothes ....like maybe three feet high and five feet wide . All of a sudden I see two eyes pop up out of the pile of clothes . I see an old lady with a slightly dirty face . I was startled and thought ...what to do ? In the US that would be a street person . I reached in my pocket , fetched a coin worth a few bucks , and tossed it to her feeling I was doing a good deed . She caught it and threw it back at me saying something like " take your bloody money and XXXXXX ) ! Two Arab guys behind me ( wearing about a ton of Gold ) were laughing their heads off . I beat a fast get-away ! I learned later this was a " bag lady " . They walk the streets , pick up stuff and sell it to get enough for food , etc . They don't like charity ! It's sometimes good to learn the local customs ahead of time .

IC B3

K
K
Yes I like !!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any updates on this?

I'll be over there this fall for a Roe deer hunt in Southern Scotland and than planning a few days in London, etc.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
London - the Imperial War Museum is a must see, the British Museum is like the Smithsonian on steroids and another must see.

A nice day trip from London on a short train ride (just over an hour) is Oxford which shows the beautiful English country side and gardens, as well as Blenheim Palace which is a short bus ride from Oxford.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My wife and I stayed a few days in London at the Marriott across the street from Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. We went out for fish and chips and a pint at a local pun the doorman suggested. It was right across the street from Purdy's. Too bad they were closed. I would take one of the bus tours of London where you can get on or off wherever you want. The Guards Museum by Buckingham Palace and the Horse Guards Museum by Trafalgar Square are also interesting.
Don't get caught with a lockblade pocketknife. They have no sense of humo(u)r.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd also make William and Sons, as well as William Evans. While on St. James St., also visit the Beretta Gallery, just across the street.

While in the neighborhood of Purdey's, eat lunch (or dinner) at the Audley, just across the street. They have the best fish and chips in London.

On Mount Street, not far away, is a great venue for an Italian lunch, Serafino's. You can go upstairs, or downstairs...go downstairs, same good, cheaper. The seafood pasta bowl is to die for.

Be sure to take in Rule's Restaurant (oldest restaurant in London). Make a reservation for dinner, they are famous for game dishes, ask a manager for the tour (and stories of royal illicit liasons in a private room).

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you are thinking of car hire , use National as they are half the price of Avis and most other hire firms.
http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/

Cheap accomadation that wont break the bank try travel lodge or premier inns they are much of the same.

Most of the other guy's have mentioned some of the best places to visit in London. But if you get chance visit the Tower of London, and get on a tour by one of the Yoeman. The clip is of a guy called Bill Callahan, who's a real star, have a look atsome of his other clips.
All the best,
Paul.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Tower of London. (Hint- it's a castle.... don't be an Ugly American like we were... smile ) Walking distance from Picadilly Circus. A block off Picadilly Circus is the Queen's Theater. We thoroughly enjoyed Phantom of the Opera when we were there a few years back at Christmas time. I'm not exactly an opera type, either... but I'm betting whatever the production - it's worth it.

Just don't ask anyone for directions in P.C.. It took us 7 tries to find someone who spoke English. Look for someone dressed in vest and suit...

Not kidding! Britain is doomed!

Last edited by las; 04/06/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
OK , sorry , you jogged my memory again . Just a couple more stories : Friend and I were on a work assignment in France . We decided to do the usual Tourist sight-seeing in Paris . My friends wife was a French Language Teacher in the States so I asked him to learn a few key phrases . Did'nt work , so I got the job of navigator . We wanted to see the Ecole Militaire , so I found it on the map , and into a Courtyard we walked . We were immediately surrounded by a bunch of Guards asking all sorts of questions ..... and neither of us knew much French . Seems like there are two Ecole Miliaires . We had gone into a Military Academy sort of like West Point . I kept saying Musee...Musee ...which I think means Museum , and they finally let us go and pointed in the right direction while shaking their heads . The Military Museum was interesting . Lots of suits of Armor ....those guys were pretty small in those days ! A French friend asked what I wanted to see . It was the Folies Bergere . He told me the chance of getting Tickets on short notice were nil , but I asked him to call anyway . Luckily , there were two cancellations . That was a fantastic Show ! Don't miss it if you have a chance . Tastefully done , very fast paced , and lots of funny audience participation . Oh , if you go to dinner with the French , be prepared for a two or three hour feast . They do take their time . I really enjoyed an Algerian Restaurant . My French friends father was a Cabbie in Paris , so this guy knew all the roads by heart . He drove so fast , however , that I just reclined my seat and closed my eyes .

Last edited by boy1; 04/06/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trouthunter is right, and thanks for posting the pics. I easily walked to Holland & Holland and Purdey. They were very friendly letting me handle anything I wanted. We had some really nice conversations as well. I stuck out like a sore thumb wearing a camo fleece vest, cabelas shorts, t-shirt, and danner boots.

I really like London, don't forget the pubs and see all you can fit in.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
London smells like Curry and BO

God Bless America!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.