Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The list didn't list Anthracite.. 25,000,000 BTU/ton

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Originally Posted by Stush
FWIW, I kind of like the smell of a coal fire? Must be strange. I like beans in my chili too! wink

Me too
It reminds me of my PA home

" We burn Anthricite! "

Used to see those signs in every store and office.

Yep, I remember those signs.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suspect that our coal is easy to deal with because we burn so little. We can only burn it when the temps are below freezing round the clock. If the temps get up into the 40s in the day, a coal fire will cook us out of the place - even with it banked down well.

When we do burn it, we only use about two 3 gallon buckets full a day. The house is built of SIPs and is super efficient. We haven't burned any coal at all yet this winter because it has been so mild and have yet to go through the first cord of wood.

I do remember old coal furnaces in houses here. It seemed like all you did was feed coal to them. Houses had little or no insulation and most of that heat went right out the roof and around the windows. We don't use, even in the coldest of winters, anywhere near the volume of coal that those places did.

Stush
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by noKnees
The list didn't list Anthracite.. 25,000,000 BTU/ton

It also didn't list good hardwood. I burn about 7 cords a season and have never burnt anything on that list except maybe some birch. I burn oak, maple, hickory, locust, beech, cherry and ash. Maybe they don't have these trees in Alaska. I usually have it all stacked under cover by May. I tried burning coal once but just couldn't get the hang of stacking those little chunks like cord wood. They kept falling over on only the second course! grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My neighbor burns coal...some days I would like to plug his chimney grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I burn oak, maple, hickory, locust, beech, cherry and ash. Maybe they don't have these trees in Alaska. grin

When my dad moved to MT, he had to adapt to the quantity of wood he needed to lay in for the winter. All he can get there is pine, aspen and occasionally some birch. Hardwoods just aren't readily available.

Stush
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by roundoak
You need more than a shaker grate and a ash pan. You need a good stove liner, either cast iron or firebrick, and the right draft system.

If operated correctly a coal stove is not that dirty in the house as some may think. If you have a good chimney setup for woodburning now there should not be any problems with a coal fire.

The only downside to coal is the lack of that sweet woodsmoke.

Exactly right.

I burned the crappy Healy coal (sub-bituminous) in Fairbanks for 14 years as my sole source of heat. I used a Riteway wood/coal stove - this exact model (not my pic)
[Linked Image]

This one is thermostatically-controlled, welded steel, with a fire brick liner, shaker grate, and removeable ash pan. It was a terrific stove. I could heat 1500 sq ft on 2 floors at -50*. had to feed it 2X/day, but it sure worked.

The insulated chimneys that work for wood stoves (metalbestos-type) work for wood and coal. You start a small wood fire and then gradually add coal until you have the load needed.

It's a fire, not rocket surgery. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I grew up in the coal mining region of East Tennessee. We used coal in a pot bellied stove. It was messy, smelly,and sooty, but the heat was great. When I got married, the coal mines had about all closed. We used a coal/wood heater with wood. The difference is in the grates. Both have firebrick. The wood grate simply has holes for air to flow through and ashes to drop through. A coal stove has to have a shaker grate and an opening for the coal cinders to shaken through.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.