Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OCTom Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Stopped by the Paso Robles, CA location of John Rigby last week and the building was empty. Did they go out of business after 275 years?

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
John Rigby of London is still open, still in London, and still doing well.

that thing in Cali, not so much.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only know that Rigby in California was involved in a trademark lawsuit with Rigby in England. I think it started up in 2009. I don't know how it turned out...maybe somebody here does and will post it. Geoff Miller had Rogue River Rifleworks, and he was friends with Craig Boddington, who often wrote about his rifles. Apparently, Geoff Miller bought Rigby (at least on paper) and set up shop in Paso Robles. Boddington also wrote about these Rigby rifles. I haven't heard much about em' since until I saw your post.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Paul Roberts made the mistake of decided to sell the name rights at a time in the past, which (I believe) Miller purchased and set up shop in Cali.

This "New Rigby" eventually went bankrupt in 2005 (link)

At some time in the middle of this, JR London re-opened, distancing itself in no uncertain terms from the Cali company (link)

there may or may not be a dozen lawsuits crammed in there somewhere, along with much hearsay, but suffice it to say the products offered by the two companies were really quite different in terms of quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Surprisingly, the US web site is active.

If I was young, a rich man, and right handed I'd love to have a Rigby bolt action in .275 Rigby.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had one of the USA one's at Cabelas in Nebraska a few years ago. The hang tag said thay wanted $21K for it. I don't know if they ever got it but it certainly wasn't worth the asking price. The quality just wasn't there.

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Makes your Minimauser worth about $40K Terry.
Butch

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish! Somebody told me I lost 35% when I drove it off the lot. laugh

Terry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rigby was sold again recently.....apparently name rights only. all work will be subbed out, they are negotiating with stockers, engravers, etc. and will get the actions in England. they didn't buy any machinery or inventory. A buddy's uncle is one of the investors, and he's the new gen. counsel. They had a booth at SCI with the new group sitting in.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Paul Roberts made the mistake of decided to sell the name rights at a time in the past, which (I believe) Miller purchased and set up shop in Cali.

This "New Rigby" eventually went bankrupt in 2005 (link)

At some time in the middle of this, JR London re-opened, distancing itself in no uncertain terms from the Cali company (link)

there may or may not be a dozen lawsuits crammed in there somewhere, along with much hearsay, but suffice it to say the products offered by the two companies were really quite different in terms of quality.

Thats about my understanding of thing's. JR London has no real connection with the original Rigby's...If I wanted a modern rifle of that ilk, I would yet one done by Paul Roberts.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"Makes your Minimauser worth about $40K Terry."
"I wish! Somebody told me I lost 35% when I drove it off the lot." laugh
Well then tell somebody to go duplicate it!
That mini Mauser is in the top 1 of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen. Once the metalsmith cut the thumb slot in the side rail, I was a goner.
Love your rifles Terry - you too Butch! You guys both give the rest of us sweet dreams.

C
C
The London infringement has been settled. There was a press release on it-

http://www.londonthenews.com/news/Press+Releases/20120127/29181803/JOHN-RIGBY-CO-%C2%AE-Reaches-Settlement-in.htm

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Surprisingly, the US web site is active.

If I was young, a rich man, and right handed I'd love to have a Rigby bolt action in .275 Rigby.

Almost 30 years ago, I hunted down the Rigby shop on Pall Mall in London, had a wonderful conversation with the gunsmith and storekeeper there in his oilcloth apron who emerged from his work on an almost finished rifle. I alluded to a nice rifle in the rack at the end of a short counter, and with a sparkle in his eye he told me to pick it up and examine it. It was a .275 Rigby, a Mauser, very nicely done but nothing extravagant, that is until he told me its story. "That's the Queen's rifle, sir, and she' fond of it," he said with a grin. He said each year after the stalking season she has in taken to the shop "to be looked after". It looked fine to me...

I don't remember his name, but he told wonderful stories of old man Rigby in World War II. When the frequent air raid sirens would summon the citizenry to the bunkers, he said the famous rifle maker would rush out the front door, grabbing a .416 bolt rifle and a handful of cartridges and cussing the Germans, and take his station in the middle of the street as a one man artillery battery.

It probably goes without saying (but I'll say it anyhow) that the .275 Rigby is simply the 7x57 in British dress. The Brits and especially Rigbys just couldn't bring themselves to stamp the barrels and make cartridges for a German nomenclature, hence renamed the cartridge.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Neat story GF1..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TC1
They had one of the USA one's at Cabelas in Nebraska a few years ago. The hang tag said thay wanted $21K for it. I don't know if they ever got it but it certainly wasn't worth the asking price. The quality just wasn't there.

Terry

I remember that gun. I saw the price and nearly fell over. I believe the Kansas City Cabelas had an original that was a much finer gun IMO.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OCTom
Stopped by the Paso Robles, CA location of John Rigby last week and the building was empty. Did they go out of business after 275 years?

a partnership in which a friend's uncle is a member bought the name and some of the assets from Paso Robles Rigby and they are making rifles and shotguns. They were at Dallas Safari Club, SCI and Shot shows with their booth, and doing a Mozambique full bag safari this summer to promote the new line. They have settled all the legal issues related to the name.

my buddy is going on the hunt, lucky stiff.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.