Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I recently picked up a stainless Ruger 77/22 rifle chambered in 22LR. This rifle doesn't have iron sights, so a scope is a necessity. Anyway, The 77/22 came with the typical Ruger factory medium height scope rings. The scope I had planned to mount isn't anything too large, just little a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm. Here is where my issue starts......

The supplied medium height rings have the scope mounted higher than I think it really should be. The front Objective bell clears the rifle's barrel by about 1/2" when using the medium rings. I know Ruger makes a set of low rings that will reduce this gap by about 1/8". That would be much nicer looking. But, even with the supplied medium rings installed, I am having a problem with the bolt handle contacting the Ocular bell on the scope when I draw the bolt to the rear. It is going to scratch up the scope in short order unless I do something.

When I draw the bolt to the rear and it gets further out of the receiver it begins to have some slop/looseness to it. I understand that a certain amount of that is normal. If I pull down on the bolt (to take up the slop) while drawing it back I can just barely keep it clear of the scope's Ocular bell with maybe 1 mm or less of clearance.

In comparing the bolt on this 77/22 with my other Ruger bolt-actions (all center-fire M77 MKII's) this bolt handle has a different shape in two ways. There is the obvious dog-leg (front to back) shape on the center-fires that the 77/22 doesn't have. But, more to the point, the regular center-fire Rugers have a scallop cut into the arm of the bolt handle such that they have more clearance to go past/around a scope's Ocular bell without rubbing. The 77/22 does not really have this scallop at all.

What would you suggest as possible solutions to this bolt clearance problem. My first thought was to find out if you thought it was possible or even made sense to have a gunsmith remove some metal from the bolt arm and basically grind/machine a scallop into the bolt handle like the center-fires have. By my eye it looks like there is sufficient metal in the bolt handle's arm to do this and not make the arm too weak.

I know I could go to higher rings but, I would really rather have the scope mounted lower than it is now, not higher. What are your thoughts?

Mark in GA

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any other scopes to try?

I had a Ruger Hornet that didn't have any issues with the factory supplied rings

Also have a 77/22 mag with the factory rings and a Leupold 3-9x40 without any issues?

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
No other scopes on hand except a couple other Burris Fullfield 2's in larger sizes. They all have the same ocular components so the rears are the same size/shape as this 2-7x35mm. What's bad is I just got the 2-7x35 specifically for this purpose.

Mark in GA

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had the same issues with a Marlin recently, putting on a 1.5 x 4 scope... Bushnell Shotgun scope... looks cheesy, but I had to just slide the scope further back so that the bolt cleared it when operated..

your rear bell is just too big... either get another scope, mount it back further...or pic up higher rings..

for what its worth, the cheaper Millet rings for Weaver bases work just fine on Rugers....you just need to get the ones for Rimfires instead of regular rifle is all...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can identify with your issue and after considerable thought, bit the bullet and ordered No. 5B #90271 high rings from Ruger.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I went through the exact same thing with a 77/17 and Leupold FX-II 6x36. I'm a big believer in low mounted scopes which are in natural alignment with your eye as soon as you shoulder the rifle.

My rifle came with the medium rings, so I swapped them for low rings and had a gunsmith grind a scallop into the bolt handle exactly as you are proposing. Have it polished back up and you won't even tell that it didn't come that way from the factory. Cost me about $NZ20 from memory, and has given me zero problems. I would highly recommend this approach - as long as you don't go wild with the grinder and make the bolt handle paper-thin you should have no issue.

Here's a couple of photos of mine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
(Centre rifle in the above photo)

Another option if you don't want to go this way - I later bought a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33AO EFR (Extended focus range) for another rifle. This particular scope has a very small diameter ocular - much smaller than the 6x36. This scope clears the bolt without issue, but I also have trouble moving it far enough back in the rings to suit me. The 6x36 has much longer eye relief.

Hope this helps.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Doing a little looking and I'm not really seeing scopes with ocular bells that are much different that what the Burris has. What scopes can you guys recommend that you think have small ocular bells?

Mark in GA

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Nikon 2-7 prostaff on mine with no issues.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
What scopes can you guys recommend that you think have small ocular bells?

Mark in GA

Leupold

Pick up a 2-7 or 3-9 on here for a 150.00 or so and have the paralax adjusted down (15.00 bucks/including return shipping) and live happily ever after.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Nikon 1.5x4.5 slug scope (parallax set at 75 yards) on my 77/22. I have adequate bolt clearance using medium rings. I would rather use low rings and may end up doing the bolt scallop thing.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All of the Leupie and Burris Compact series scopes (sold under various nomenclatures over the years) have a smaller ocular that fits perfect on the 77/22. This includes the Leupie Rimfire scopes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.