Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Simple question...please save the sarcasm and schitt for another day...

Can an FFL in a state other than CA ship a rifle (lever action) to a FFL in CA without too much pain? I always see the statements: (won't sell to CA). Please let me know the facts. It is a simple lever action rifle...not an assault rifle or high cap rifle...just a lever gun. Thanks in advance!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Go here

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs

If you ship as an individual it is totally painless

this whole crap is getting rather boring

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gbp
Go here

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs

If you ship as an individual it is totally painless

this whole crap is getting rather boring

+1

The dealer takes 5-10 minutes to register before shipping and gets a ship number from the state, no cost to dealer.

The state uses this to make sure TAXES are paid by the buyer.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
there are no tax on guns purchased thru a individual so the state doesn't require the process.

Simply all about the $$$$

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny, when I attempted to register as an FFL it took far longer than 10 minutes and they started asking a bunch of questions they have zero need to know...

But more important... what difference could your absurd comment about collecting sales tax have to do with ANY firearm that moves through an FFL? There is still ALWAYS a CA FFL on the CA end of the transaction whether the gun comes from an FFL, private citizen, or whatever.

CA cannot pay for the crap they do inside their own border, what makes them want to take on stuff far outside that border? Just how much jurisdiction do they truly have in states hundreds or thousands of miles away?

It would be pathetic if it were not so funny... A private citizen can mail a long gun to a CA FFL, but another FFL has to jump through a set of idiotic hoops and answer questions CA has absolutely NO right to know.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 10 minute comment came from a dealer in Owensboro Kentucky I purchased from last year, had a similar response from Grices in PA.

All guns purchased are shipped to your FFL, when sold by an individual they are not taxed; only guns sold by a dealer are taxed. I buy 5 or 6 guns from out of state sources each year and when I buy one from an individual it saves me an extra 7.25%.

Commerce Laws can be a pain and vary from state to state; try selling and shipping wine you will think this was easy.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nada

Last edited by 700LH; 01/30/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My dealer in California charges $100 for the person to person transfer. I was thinking of buying a, Oregon friend's Savage rifle, but with all the extra charges and hassle it would cost more than buying a new one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
My dealer in California charges $100 for the person to person transfer. I was thinking of buying a, Oregon friend's Savage rifle, but with all the extra charges and hassle it would cost more than buying a new one.
'Your dealer' needs to become 'your ex-dealer'..

$100/transfer?? Wow..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Redneck
[/quote] 'Your dealer' needs to become 'your ex-dealer'..

$100/transfer?? Wow..

Same here I stopped buying used due to their $100 FFL transfer fee. Lets not forget the state is also collecting sales tax on sales as well.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

No one in California should be allowed to buy a rifle!
( Drive to Oregon )

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

No one in California should be allowed to buy a rifle!
( Drive to Oregon )

You can't drive to Oregon. CA law requires residents to follow DROS (CA's version of NICS) and you can't do that in OR.

I realize that $100 for a transfer sounds high to those of you who live in the free US, but it's normal in CA. Home based FFLs are rare and many cities have driven out as many gunstores as they can, resulting in far fewer transfer dealers to meet the demand. Plus doing a transfer is a lot more work in CA than in most states.

I think the CFLC program is silly. I don't think forging an FFL is a serious problem. It's too easy to check that the address is legit, and too easy to arrest someone who tries it.

That said, I don't understand why enrolling is such a big deal. Here's the info you have to provide:

https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/addEnrolee.do?dispatch=enrollmentGuidelines

CFLC Enrollment Guidelines

You will need the following information from your valid Federal Firearms License (FFL):

* Name of Business/individual/corporation
* FFL expiration date or date from the Letter of Continuing Authorization
* Physical address
* Business e-mail address
* Telephone number
* Facsimile number (if applicable)
* Name of a contact person (The contact person's name appears on the Firearms Shipment Approval letter generated by CFLC)

This is a one time deal, similar to registering on a forum. Getting a transaction number is no harder than posting a message.

Last edited by natman; 01/31/12.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
$100 is pretty rich for a transfer fee. Use the Gunbroker "Find an FFL" search function, and you'll find one who will do it for $25-$30. FFL Dealer Search

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Flyfast
$100 is pretty rich for a transfer fee. Use the Gunbroker "Find an FFL" search function, and you'll find one who will do it for $25-$30. FFL Dealer Search

Try it with a CA zip code. Mine is 94901. Keep in mind if they say +DROS, that the DROS fee is $25.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you're near Sacto, Robert Venkus is a good transfer dealer.

Murphy was an optimist.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Today I picked up three 700 short actions that I had purchased from fellow Campfire members. These rifles were sent direct to my FFL by non-FFL sellers.

The total cost including all fees? Exactly $60.00 or $20.00 per gun. There is no sales tax when buying from a private party. Other than the stupid 10 day wait this is a painless process for both buyer and seller.

$100.00 per gun is way out of line.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by Redneck
'Your dealer' needs to become 'your ex-dealer'..

$100/transfer?? Wow..

Same here I stopped buying used due to their $100 FFL transfer fee. Lets not forget the state is also collecting sales tax on sales as well.

ML [/quote]

My ffl guy charges $60 with the background crap...he's never asked for a dime of sales tax whether the gun is new or used...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

$60.00 is still way too much.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.