Hop To
#6121946 02/01/12
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

Dr. Pete Clark took this exceptional bear while hunting with me last fall. Cert...ainly over 11 ft. in his prime, but still well over 10ft. B&C 29 12/16ths. Fellow guide Troy Kitchel captured it on video. Killing shot was at 4 yards! We were hunting with longtime friend and Master Guide Brent Jones of AAA Alaskan Outfitters.

It's making the rounds as of today. Looks to be the usual doctored pics and made up details. Anyone know anything about it?

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must be a little piker...hunter is sitting 150 yards behind the bear and the claws on the bear are extremely short. Or maybe it's a giant. Extremely suspect when the hunter is not touching the critter.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fall bears always have shorter claws than spring bears... But I would not call them short. Pretty easy to look at ADF&G records for their measurements... Hunter is obviously WAY behind the bear. You would win far more bets than you would lose calling bullschit on every claim of 11'... and who ever said bears shrink?

Brent Jones is one of the longest running, most recognized outfits up here. He is usually a pretty good guy and not inclined to much inflation, IME.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There ain't no way, no how that ain't a grand trophy. An embellished photo pose doesn't add anything meaningful in my book, but that bear ain't in my book, so who cares? I'd be very happy with a bear that looked like that one even if he wasn't 9 feet.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a trophy of a lifetime!!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Besides the questionable pose, an extremely wide-angle lens was used, distorting the perspective, as can be seen by comparing the paws and limbs to the body.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it's a really big bear made to look impossibly big by the use of posing and a wide angle lens as mentioned above. The tricks are obvious. In the story they show a paw picture that's clearly using every photo trick in the book to exaggerate what is clearly an already magnificent trophy.

[Linked Image]
G
G
I was in camp when it came in. Although the photo is a typical hunter sit back type of photo and a little bit 'off' IMO, it was an exceptionally large bear. I have lots of photos of the skull, pads and hide. Skull is accurate, feet were CRAZY huge and the claws about gone and pure white. Awesome to see. I think it squared 10'5" in camp. Real square, though it could have made 11 had they really tried but that's not Brent Jones' style/ THe shooting story at 4 yards is accurate, they hit it the night before at dark and went into the alders at light. Couldn't get up, pretty much wiped. F&G said it was the second largest they had measured at that point for the fall. Gus had the largest. I think he also got a wolf or two. The two guides are the best in Brent's camp. Bear was shot on the Gulf side of the peninsula where a few 'famous' bowhunters have taken theirs as well.

I thought I would get the biggest in camp this fall, but the Doc bear beat my hunters. Not by much ;-) I think we went 11 for 12 and it was a tough year. Brent has a great area.

Cheers. Gooch

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
456 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.