Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I just picked up a .257 Weatherby and have been looking at bullet options. I also have a 250ai and run mainly cup and core bullets in it. Been thinking that I should be looking at nosler accubonds , Barnes , nosler e tips and the Swift scirocco 2. Just looking for feedback on the swift ....never used hem but they have caught my eye. Anyone used them at all on game etc.?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I guess no one uses these bullets. I went ahead and bought some 100 grain in .257 caliber for my new .257 Weatherby magnum. I will let you guys know how they work. I like the design .....they look like they might be a bit tougher than the NAB or the Hornady Innerbond....we will see. I am surprised at the lack of response to the post....must not be popular with the Fire crowd.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm not familiar with the 100gr .257 ones but I like the 150gr .308 ones out a 30-06.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They work great. Don't expect to get max speed out of them, but they hold up really well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The original Sciroccos I tried worked well as far as bullet perfomance in game animals but I had a hard time to get them to shoot well. I tried them in a 270 and a 300 H&H and never could get a group smaller than 1.75" to 2" no matter what i tried. I've heard the Scirocco 2 is more accurate than the originals but I can't say for sure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
They work great. Don't expect to get max speed out of them, but they hold up really well.

True. I run 130s in a .270, 180s in a .300 Wby, and 210s in a .338 Win Mag. I like their terminal performance but velocities run 100-150 fps behind Ballistic Tips. I actually had to step down a couple of grains using 7828sc in the .300 Wby, as they were starting to crater primers with my old standby charge that I used with Partitions over the years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience they work very similarly to Interbonds when they hit stuff.

I've had mixed results getting Scirocco II's to shoot well. They seem to take more fooling with powder charge and seating depth than most other bullets, and with some boxes I've just never gotten them to shoot well in any rifle. In others they're outstanding; my .243 loves the 90's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've had mixed results getting Scirocco II's to shoot well.

Too true. And expensive to experiment with, I think.

Steve

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My experience mirrors Mule Deer's - except that I've never gotten them to shoot well in my 30-06. I've tried both the 165 and 180 gr versions of the .308 Scirocco IIs with the same 1.5 to 2 inch results.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I've had mixed results getting Scirocco II's to shoot well. They seem to take more fooling with powder charge and seating depth than most other bullets, and with some boxes I've just never gotten them to shoot well in any rifle. In others they're outstanding; my .243 loves the 90's.

Have you tested any of them on your Juenke machine?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I finally got 90 gr. SSII's to shoot sub inch (.7" or so) in my .240 Wby. I had to approximate factory COAL, loading them out long, not so good, a bit under 2" at a hundred.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last fall my daughter shot 2 mule deer with a 25 WSSM using the 100 grain Scirocco. The first was a buck of about 225 pounds and it was a broadside through and through taking out the top of the heart and the bottom lobes of the lungs.

The second was a mule deer doe taken at a hard raking angle. She put the bullet between the last 2 ribs and the bullet stopped under the hide on the opposite shoulder.

I found the bullet was very easy to get to shoot well in the A-Bolt using RL17. (The first and only powder I tried with this bullet)

The "lump" on the right shoulder is where the bullet stopped.

[Linked Image]

25 calibre 100 grain Swift Scirocco. 3300 fps MV, ~3150 impact velocity. Recovered weight 79 1/2 grains. (80%)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice deer, congrats to your daughter. As I've mentioned before I really like the 130 gr in my 264 WM.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
doubletap,

The Juenke machine was on loan for a year or so. I did get to test the original Sciroccos on it, and they tested quite well, no doubt because Swift used a Juenke machine when developing them. But dunno about the SII's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Guy's, thank you for the feedback. I only bought one box so it will be fun to see if I can make them shoot. I'm planning on trying a number of combinations to see what shoots the best out of my new Vanguard S2. I'm starting with the gun stock, and going from here. The trigger feels decent, not quite sure about the stock. I can always get a B & C stock with the bedding block skim bed it and free float the barrel, but I figure I might as well see what happens with the factory set up first. I'm looking forward to the new .257........ I have always wanted a screamer....I don't think there is many faster than this, plus I simply love hunting Mule Deer and Antelope in Montanna. I can't think of a better long range rifle for that. I already have many nice flat shooting guns.......a 250 AI, a 6.5 creedmoor, a 6.5-06 ackley improved, a 280 ackley?...300 wsm, I am convinced it is a sickness......what is it wen call it r file looney ism......not sure I spelled that right. Thanks again for the feedback...I will let you know how they shoot. Goodshot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am another who has not been successful in getting them to shoot as accurately as other bullets in my 06. As mentioned previously, they are a bit expensive to justify a great deal of load experimentation. Other premium bullets have settled into good accuracy quite quickly while my intial loads with the IIs sort of turned me off to further experimentation.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The advice given to me when I called the boys out in Quinter, Kansas about loading them for my 264 Win Mag was "don't be afraid to let them jump a little bit". I listened and have been very pleased with performance and accuracy. Slippery and tough... I like that combo sometimes!

One of these days, I am going to pull off I70 to see their operation when traveling back in the fall for my annual whitetail and rooster extravaganza.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had little trouble getting them to shoot in my 22-250AI, 223 WSSM, and 6.5 Creedmoor. Made speed pretty easily too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lundtroller
The advice given to me when I called the boys out in Quinter, Kansas about loading them for my 264 Win Mag was "don't be afraid to let them jump a little bit". I listened and have been very pleased with performance and accuracy. Slippery and tough... I like that combo sometimes!

One of these days, I am going to pull off I70 to see their operation when traveling back in the fall for my annual whitetail and rooster extravaganza.

It seems that high ogive bullets like VLD's take some tweaking to find the right jump. COAL made all the difference with 90 gr. SSII's in my .240 Wby.

I would think one could do the jump protocol published by Berger on their web site to find the optimal jump accuracy node for these bullets, as well.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could never get the originals to shoot well in a .270 Weatherby or WSM, so I kind of gave up on them. The few deer I shot with them died quickly, so they performed well enough in that manner.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,349 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.