Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Hi,

Just want to show you a german made traditional bolt action rifle. Was presented in 2010 and is available yet in Europe.

The Jager10 is made by Haenel which belong to Merkel in Suhl. Haenel was very well know for precision rifles before 1stWW. Hugo Schmeisser worked there after that date and during 2nd WW, he developped what became the Stg44 alias Sturmgewer

Receiver is steel, same as barrel steel to reduce problems created with different dilation coefficient.

Bolt possess an interchangeable locking head to adapt different head size with 6 lugs. Opening is a short 60�.
Bolt lever is independant too. Magazine is detachable. Made of steel, it's four rounds capacity.

[Linked Image]

Barrel in standard caliber is 22,5 inches (56cm)hammer forged, polished and stress relieved. This one is 270 Winchester. Weight is 7lbs empty without scope.
Trigger is very good even without using the stetcher. For long range or target practice the stetcher is a must. Safety is two positions with a button " a la Sako" to open bolt rifle at safety.

Open sight are optimised for hunting running game with high visibility rear and front fiber optic inserts.

[Linked Image]

Stock is standard turkish walnut, oiled.

Accuracy is fantastic even with factory ammo.On that target the first two shots were a bit low, one clic (1cm), three others were in X ring.

[Linked Image]

The scope shown here is a very well worn out and battered old S&B 1,5-6x42 (more than 25year old)with a much scared tube. It never let me down. Come on powerful rifles and shotguns when i'm testing loads. Tracking is flawless and reticule never moved a hitch...Mounts are Leupold QR.

[Linked Image]

With that rig i have enough elevation for 750m shoot when zeroed to 200m. Windage is enough for most windy condition i meet in parts of mountain.

The target was shot at 100m (110yards)with Sellier Bellot PTS 150grs factory load. To 200 the group open no more with 270Winchester Power Max i used for hunting.
The rest i use is clearly seen. A Millet old 'pyramid" plastic one. No competition best rest. Before hunting i always control my shooting from my backpack because it's what i use in mountain when range increase.

Was a test rifle for a magazine i write in. Now it's my new rig. I'm back to wood and old standard of cartridges.

Have good week end.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! Thanks for sharing something with us most would never see. Good looking rifle with great accuracy as well. Do you have any pictures of the full rifle? I'd like to see the front sight, I very much like the rear.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Hi,

Just want to show you a german made traditional bolt action rifle. Was presented in 2010 and is available yet in Europe.

The Jager10 is made by Haenel which belong to Merkel in Suhl. Haenel was very well know for precision rifles before 1stWW. Hugo Schmeisser worked there after that date and during 2nd WW, he developped what became the Stg44 alias Sturmgewer

Receiver is steel, same as barrel steel to reduce problems created with different dilation coefficient.

Bolt possess an interchangeable locking head to adapt different head size with 6 lugs. Opening is a short 60�.
Bolt lever is independant too. Magazine is detachable. Made of steel, it's four rounds capacity.

[Linked Image]

Barrel in standard caliber is 22,5 inches (56cm)hammer forged, polished and stress relieved. This one is 270 Winchester. Weight is 7lbs empty without scope.
Trigger is very good even without using the stetcher. For long range or target practice the stetcher is a must. Safety is two positions with a button " a la Sako" to open bolt rifle at safety.

Open sight are optimised for hunting running game with high visibility rear and front fiber optic inserts.

[Linked Image]

Stock is standard turkish walnut, oiled.

Accuracy is fantastic even with factory ammo.On that target the first two shots were a bit low, one clic (1cm), three others were in X ring.

[Linked Image]

The scope shown here is a very well worn out and battered old S&B 1,5-6x42 (more than 25year old)with a much scared tube. It never let me down. Come on powerful rifles and shotguns when i'm testing loads. Tracking is flawless and reticule never moved a hitch...Mounts are Leupold QR.

[Linked Image]

With that rig i have enough elevation for 750m shoot when zeroed to 200m. Windage is enough for most windy condition i meet in parts of mountain.

The target was shot at 100m (110yards)with Sellier Bellot PTS 150grs factory load. To 200 the group open no more with 270Winchester Power Max i used for hunting.
The rest i use is clearly seen. A Millet old 'pyramid" plastic one. No competition best rest. Before hunting i always control my shooting from my backpack because it's what i use in mountain when range increase.

Was a test rifle for a magazine i write in. Now it's my new rig. I'm back to wood and old standard of cartridges.

Have good week end.

Dom

Dom, thanks for sharing that . It looks like it shares designs with the Steyr SBS ,Modern Mauser and Sig.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Matt,

The front and rear sights are often used in european rifles or even double. most of time they are from Recknagel (here) or LPA.

Here the picture of the front sight. Even if they look fragile they stand the bush if you don't use your rifle to open your way in...I know because i lead dogs during driven hunts.
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a nice looking rifle. It reminds a lot of my SIG SHR 970.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

You're right old elkhunter. That receiver shape is more and more used by manufacturers here. The difference with others is Haenel using same steel as the barrel.

Plastic is employed for the trigger guard to save cost and weight.
In France where prices are much higher than in North America this rifle is considered entry level for a german made one, with such qualities. Around 1000 euros real price. To give you and idea a Marlin bolt is around 550 euros.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dom, I have never heard of Haenel. Are they a relatively new company?Never mind I saw where they are a division of Merkel. I like the Stock and Metal finish.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/04/12. Reason: nvermind
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

No they are an old one with a very rich history and tradition of making firearms for hunting, shooting and military. Created in Suhl, Thuringia, Germany they were well known for the Schutzen SS rifle made on Aydt receiver. After 1stWW Hugo Schmeisser and his brother joined in and created the MP28 an improved sub machine gun based on the MP18 of the war.

They created also small semi auto pistol. Heanel is mostly famous for the Sturmgewher (MKb42H to MP43 to MP44 to Stg44). During the cold war they were under russian then east german control and did'nt make lots of firearms except very interesting air rifles and some 22 plus parts for AK system rifles.

Now they belong to the Suhl Arms Alliance with Merkel. They work on hunting rifles, sniper and LR rifles, and other projects for military police market. They are based in the same plant as Merkel firearms.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dom;
Thank you for sharing the Haenel with us, I wasn't aware they were still making firearms anymore and it brought back a lot of good memories for me.

The memories stem from a late friend who taught me how to glass bed stocks and helped me get through my first checkering job without reducing it to kindling! laugh

He had a wonderful collection of firearms and though he specialized mainly in older Winchesters, one rifle he that he'd restocked in a very fine chunk of English Walnut was an 8x57 Haenel - the first one I'd ever been able to actually handle.

If memory serves, the action looked like this one, but then it might have looked a bit more like a 98 too, I just can't recall exactly anymore.

[Linked Image]

My late friend's Haenel did have the double set triggers and octagon barrel, but not the tang site shown on that rifle. Though I may be confusing it with another rifle, it seems I recall a bit of a complicated scissor spring setup as a magazine spring.

Anyway, the new Haenel appears almost like a descendant of a Shultz and Larsen receiver in a way to my eye and I like it very much.

Thanks again Dom and all the best to you.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/04/12. Reason: spell czech broken

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Hi Matt,

The front and rear sights are often used in european rifles or even double. most of time they are from Recknagel (here) or LPA.

Here the picture of the front sight. Even if they look fragile they stand the bush if you don't use your rifle to open your way in...I know because i lead dogs during driven hunts.
[Linked Image]

Thank you Dom. I believe the style of hunting I do in the thick woods of the South East is fairly similar to how a lot of European hunts are. Quick shots on game that is moving more times than not, and under 100yds shot distance most of the time. That rifle with the 1.5-6 scope in quick release rings with quality iron sights would be right at home here in Alabama. Cheers on a very nice setup!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Nice place where you live Dwayne, had great plesure to tour BC and Canadian Rockies.

That old Haenel rifle is a fime piece of craftmanship.
all the best
Dom

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Matt when i'm hunting deep wood i use my lever gun (356Winch Mod 94) with red dot (Aimpoint H1) or fixed sight. I can also use my 35 Whelen 7600. The 270 i use mostly for mountain game, this year i put in safe my 8x68S and my 7Rm. Back to reason...
Driven hunt i use 9,3x62 or 35 Whelen depends on my mood.
Dom

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the review, Dom. Nice looking rifle. This layout really seems to be becoming the European standard. So many rifles with essentially the same design - Sauer 202, SHR 970, Anschutz 1780, S&L 97, RWS Titan that i can think off immediately off the top of my head. i am sure there are more. Most, if not all have three rebated lugs locking into barrel, single column feed, sako-type extractor and plunger ejector. Seems a very sensible design to me, too. Which do you think to be the best? Are there any significant differences? What was the problem with the alloy recievers and temperatures - barrels getting stuck or coming loose?

Last edited by dhg; 02/05/12.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi dhg,

Here the barrel is fixed to receiver by thread and not interchangeable. Locking is in the receiver, steel on steel, only bolt head can be changed for ease of production and cost saving.
Used in some very cold parts of Europe (eastern and northern) with no problem.

The other rifles with alloy receiver, locking in barrel bushing and take down barrels seem to perform well also.
Most of time people using them don't play a lot with barrel.

The system is an option, a "plus" if you have special opportunies. Hunter who practice 80% driven hunt with a 9,3x62 and 20% stalking and mountain hunting can go to 270 or 7x64 to gain "ballistic LR advantage.
Or in Sweden where you are limited to 6 receivers (firearms)but where barrels are not counted.
You can have different forearm and heavy target 6,5x55 or 308 barrel...
The principle works, accuracy is as good as most of the well advertised LR rig.
You must know that, as a Blaser guy.

Dom

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahh, because of the changeable bolthead i assumed it was a switch barrel. So really it is closest to the Schultz and Larsen Classic. Any way, that is a lovely looking rifle. You folks really do open sights properly - but then again you also intend to use them. I have been really impressed with some of the recent Reknagel offerings. What finish are they using on the steel - is it just a standard blue?

And yep, the switch barrel is entirely compatable with accuracy a demonstrated by the Blaser system. In fact, the switch barrel capacity has actually contributed to the intrinsic accuracy of the system. Converting to Blaser taught me there was no performance disadvantage in going to a switch barrel. In fact, if you were to take 10 switch barrels hunting rifles and 10 fixed barrel hunting rifles, i would back the switch barrels to win an accuracy comparison. There are other things that can go wrong, but accuracy isn't one of them.

Dom, i'm interested in whether you have played with the Finnish Lynx rifles?

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just looked at the Haenel site, Dom and saw that break action single shot - that looks like exactly what i have been looking for. They even do 6.5x65R! How much does that rifle sell for? Have you used the single shot and how does it compare to the Blaser and Merkel? What's the weight?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

The Jager9 second version use the same tilt block locking system as K1/3 and 95 so possess the same toughness and resistance, the barrel is made by Merkel. Hammer forged and stress relieved like Merkel single shot. The cocking system is the same as K1/3.

They are less expensive cause have no engraving, very standard wood and cheaper finish but they are effective tools for stalking or mountain hunting. 6,5x65R is very good caliber but i prefer the 7mm, more choice of factory loading and more bullet weight in case of need. Note i also use a K1 in 6,5x57R with very good results.

In France you can get a Jager9 for 1600 to 1650 euros, a very good entry level price for a first single shot break open with independant cocking system.

Dom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.