Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Point & Shoot just died and I'm looking for a replacement. Google has this list of top rated P&S cameras which I thought was very helpful. If anyone has any direct experience with these 4, I'd appreciate any input.

I'll be packing it hunting but also plan to use it for general use, family & trip photos. Good HD video is a definite plus.

1. Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera
2. Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera
3. Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera
4. Canon PowerShot G12 10 MP Digital Camera

Thanks!
Eric

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently got a Nikon Coolpix AW100 from Joel @ Camera Land. I did a lot of research and went with this one for a P&S pocket camera.

16MB
Full 1080P HD video
5X optical zoom
28-140mm lens
Waterproof to 33 ft
Shockproof
Vibration reduction
A real GPS and world map
Much more

Check it out.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I like those specs. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The S100 and G12 you have listed are pretty different camera's. You might think a bit more about your priority's. The g12 is a high end point and shoot with a flip out screen. It's nearly twice the size of the S100 but has more options and bells and whistles. It's often seen as a good 2nd camera for someone used to shooting with an DSLR.

The S100 is more "pocketable" camera that has a rep. For good image quality in a small camera. IIRC it will also shoot in RAW which is a big help if you want to adjust your photos before you print them.

There are also other camera categories for "super zooms" and weatherproof camera's. They've got some that can shoot hd video underwater.

If you want the smallest that takes good pics I'd try the s100. If you want the most control go with the G12. If you are rough on stuff and/or snorkel a lot you might look at a waterproof. Lots of camera's, lot's of Niche's depends on what your priorities are.

I have an earlier version of the G12 the G9 and much prefer it to the smaller P&S camera's I own. it's still pocketable but takes better pics. They are soon coming out with a new larger sensor version called the G1x that I'm going to buy as soon as I can get my hands on one. I have DSLR's and my priority in a P&S is the best image quality in something that's pocketable.

Good luck! .......... Dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One other thing to remember, more Megapixel's doesn't necessarily mean better pictures. Sometimes say a 10 or 12 MP camera might take sharper more color saturated shots than a 16 or more MP camera. Unless you plan on poster size blowups anything 10 MP and up is fine. if you want Poster size blowups you won't be using a P&S anyway. :-)

...........dj

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dj, like you I'm looking for best image quality in something that is pocketable! I have a DSLR for "best quality" photos, but I don't plan to haul that beast around as much as I would a P&S.

Eric smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EricM
Dj, like you I'm looking for best image quality in something that is pocketable! I have a DSLR for "best quality" photos, but I don't plan to haul that beast around as much as I would a P&S.

Eric smile

You might want to check out the G1x on dpreview or the like then. It's big for a P&S but I think it should ride in a pocket better than a 4/3rds or the like. I've gotten some of my favorite pics with my G9. I love my DSLR's but some people are intimidated by them and don't act as natural as they might if you just pull a P&S out of your pocket. I think the g1x should be available March-ish.

Oh yea, remember that startup time and shutter lag can be an issue with some P&S camera's................dj

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The G1x looks very cool! http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_g1x

Dpreview has some good forum chat on all these cameras. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, the S100 looks pretty darn good, too!

Eric

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
go to best buy or wherever and look at them. FEEL them. see what you like.
I recently bought the Canon ELPH300 for pics inside the house. Works very well but I think I would be disappointed if hunting photos of wildlife. would work great for after the shot pictures, though. Video is HD and very good also. EASILY fits in a pocket also.
If your old one was a canon, your "learning curve" on the controls will be less with a new Canon (probably).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EricM

BTW, the S100 looks pretty darn good, too!

Eric

yea the IQ and the f/2.0 lens on the S100 is tempting me too. I may end up with both.

I like the idea of the Waterproof/tough camera's but most of the lenses on them are slower in the f/3.5 range......dj

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the Canon PowerShot SD 4500IS and couldn't be happier. I chose Canon in the first place as they got the best reviews, and after I dropped my last one in a river in Alaska, I bought this one which was even better than what I dropped.

After I got back from Alaska, I dried it out, it works fine, but I gave it to my son and bought the newer Canon.

This Canon I am now using has a 10X optical zoom, 10 MP and that is all you can wring out of these small P&S cameras.

Here is some video and a few pics, just double click on the bear...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm also a Canon fan. I'm on my third one now. The first two are still fine and working perfect. One of them, an 870IS survived a dunking in a creek two years ago while dragging a buck out of the bottom of a ravine and never missed a beat. The cell phone and cigar in the other pocket didn't fare as well and were chicken chow mein!

My current Canon P&S is the G12. I just got it a month or so ago and am still learning what it can do. So far, the results have been terrific. I was concerned that it might be to big for my uses but no, its just fine. Yes, it is bigger than my 870IS but not too big to fit in a coat or vest pocket. In the summer, I can always grab the smaller one if I need to.

The 870IS is a tough little camera and, seeing how robust the G12 is I don't think you could hurt that one either.

I have about 4500 clicks on the 870IS in about 3 years and already have about 1100 on the G12!! Only wish the thing came with a paper manual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eric,

I have a G11 and it's simply the cat's pajamas. I'd imagine the G12 to be even better.

It's a wee bigger than the others you're noting but it also has the ability for full-manual operation. (if you're into that sort of thing) and you can shoot in RAW format. (the others you mentioned might have this feature too)

You wouldn't think the flip screen would have a bunch of use - until you've tried it. Hold it over your head, put it on the ground etc. and you don't have to be a contortionist to see through the the viewfinder. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
You wouldn't think the flip screen would have a bunch of use - until you've tried it. Hold it over your head, put it on the ground etc. and you don't have to be a contortionist to see through the the viewfinder. laugh

I had one of the earlier G series Canons (forget the model now) and that flip screen is fantastic.

I do not think I would consider a camera without this feature now. It is that useful.

With the flip screen, you can leave your tripod at home, then simply hold your camera against something, or on something on the ground -- swivel the screen to see what you are doing and you are golden even at very slow shutter speeds.

The current Canon G series have even larger flip screens than mine did -- even better!

John

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics and video, Shrapnel, and SKane it looks like the G11 is doing real well. That's a great fire pic. I think the G12's should come down in price even more so that's definitely an option I'll be considering.

My last camera was a Panasonic Lumix... I thought it took decent pics outside, but indoor it would go into ISO mode and everything would get fuzzy. I had to send it in to get refurbished after my wife accidentally dropped it, and just a few days ago I got a system error where it won't focus. I'm ready to toss it and move on to something better. I really enjoy taking macro shots, wide angle landscape and HD video.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few cool shots from a Canon S100 I found online:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Source.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a S100. So far I'm impressed with it, lots of flexibility, creative modes, Slow Motion HD etc. etc. It will take a while to figure out all it will do. Here's a few quick practice shots.

Smith and Wesson Model 41's:

[Linked Image]

Bentley:

[Linked Image]

Focuses close enough to show I need to clean this!

[Linked Image]

So far I'm quite impressed with it, especially as small as it is. My only real complaint isn't really related to the camera. To use the RAW files in Photoshop Express it requires an update which can't be performed automatically, you have to manual hack it a bit to get it to work, just a bit of a PITA.

...................dj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The S100's Slow Motion video seemed like a neat idea so I did a little test shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQ0jkUitmU&feature=youtu.be

The resolution is all that great but still not too bad for such a small camera. :-) ...................dj

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Since you guys are putting up some of yours...........here are a few attempts from my G12.

Butt end of an old bamboo rod..

[Linked Image]

Black dog in snow. A tough one for me..

[Linked Image]

NULA on a fence post..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lawdwaz, thanks for the pics! I think that the "butt end" pic in particular shows what a fine camera the G12 is!

I'm really looking forward to the G1x.................dj

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.