Campfire Member
T
if you do fall in, just remember cotton kills

BP-B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm thinking the big problem with waders is being in flowing drink, along with hypothermia if far from help.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
I'm thinking the big problem with waders is being in flowing drink, along with hypothermia if far from help.

If the waders fit properly, and you're using the belt, I don't see what the issue would be in moving water?

And if I were at risk of being hypothermic, I'd give my left nut to have the luxury of being in the thickest neoprene waders known to mankind! Get wet with no waders, and unless you start a fire pronto, you will soon be dead! BTDT. Went for a swim in Klutina lake, and if my partners and I hadn't the ability to start a fire, we would have croaked before the sun set that evening. While standing around the fire naked, and drying our clothes, I can assure that all of us would have loved to have had a pair of chest high neoprenes to at least wear while the clothes dried.

Jeff

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I grew up on a river where the lawn stopped the river started we often put on a set of hip boots and scuttled down the river.

My hunting partner did not show for 5 days on a moose hunt he had our heater for our tent! Stayed below 20 above on a fall moose hunt. Could not put leather boots on they were frozen, stayed in my hip boots all the time and did quite well.

If you wear waders or hip boots in flowing water you should know how to use them if you go down. Tried to go swimming in Beluga LK late July hot day, and I was not up for it. Could not get past waist high. If float plane went down don,t know if I could have got to shore.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jeff- Do I recall you mentioning you cannot swim? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Being able to swim and not being afraid of water counts for much, IMO.

Yep you got it. I've been to lessons many years, cannot swim unless I have fins on.

I don't overly care for water really. I'm totally respectful of it though and most laugh at me when I park the airboat and walk back to where we will be shooting ducks, ankle to shin deep water in the dark and take my PFD off and stash it before shooting light...

And the PFD has a whistle, SPOT, orange vest, flares, and flashing beacon attached to or inside pockets....

What can I say? And I'm talking myself into water rescue training for the fire department.....

Dumb or not?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hit a stump once while perch fishing in a lake during the winter. Fell out of the boat(about 8' deep) with no PFD and was wearing rubber knee boots. I'm a good swimmer, but will never forget that cold water and how my knee boots felt like they were pulling me down as I kicked(tried to swim like normal). Luckily in the heat of the moment I didn't panic, just quit kicking and doggie paddled with my arms to safety. After that day I've had a whole different outlook on wearing knee boots or hip waders in the boat w/o a PFD.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not meant as a knock, Jeff, and hope you didn't take it as such.

I think being able to swim changes a person's mindset and allows a certain degree of confidence. The flip side of course is that it can lead to a cavalier attitude sometime too.

That was my only point.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Yes, it's definitely apples and oranges. Even still and not to be antagonistic about it, I would rather not be wearing hipwaders or chestwaders when going into green water off the Alaska coast, even in the best of weather, let alone a rough sea. But, that's me.

That's not smart...removing your clothes and using them for floatation is the right move. A hip boat properly used would be like a big throwable pfd.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Yes, it's definitely apples and oranges. Even still and not to be antagonistic about it, I would rather not be wearing hipwaders or chestwaders when going into green water off the Alaska coast, even in the best of weather, let alone a rough sea. But, that's me.

That's not smart...removing your clothes and using them for floatation is the right move. A hip boat properly used would be like a big throwable pfd.

Huh?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.