Berger Hunting Bullets.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6144955 - 02/07/12 12:23 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: djpaintless]
shrapnel Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Bozeman, MT
I have the Canon PowerShot SD 4500IS and couldn't be happier. I chose Canon in the first place as they got the best reviews, and after I dropped my last one in a river in Alaska, I bought this one which was even better than what I dropped.

After I got back from Alaska, I dried it out, it works fine, but I gave it to my son and bought the newer Canon.

This Canon I am now using has a 10X optical zoom, 10 MP and that is all you can wring out of these small P&S cameras.

Here is some video and a few pics, just double click on the bear...

If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

#6145293 - 02/07/12 01:42 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: shrapnel]
Lawdwaz Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: WNY
I'm also a Canon fan. I'm on my third one now. The first two are still fine and working perfect. One of them, an 870IS survived a dunking in a creek two years ago while dragging a buck out of the bottom of a ravine and never missed a beat. The cell phone and cigar in the other pocket didn't fare as well and were chicken chow mein!

My current Canon P&S is the G12. I just got it a month or so ago and am still learning what it can do. So far, the results have been terrific. I was concerned that it might be to big for my uses but no, its just fine. Yes, it is bigger than my 870IS but not too big to fit in a coat or vest pocket. In the summer, I can always grab the smaller one if I need to.

The 870IS is a tough little camera and, seeing how robust the G12 is I don't think you could hurt that one either.

I have about 4500 clicks on the 870IS in about 3 years and already have about 1100 on the G12!! Only wish the thing came with a paper manual.

#6145425 - 02/07/12 02:12 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: EricM]
SKane Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Middle West
Eric,

I have a G11 and it's simply the cat's pajamas. I'd imagine the G12 to be even better.

It's a wee bigger than the others you're noting but it also has the ability for full-manual operation. (if you're into that sort of thing) and you can shoot in RAW format. (the others you mentioned might have this feature too)

You wouldn't think the flip screen would have a bunch of use - until you've tried it. Hold it over your head, put it on the ground etc. and you don't have to be a contortionist to see through the the viewfinder. laugh

#6145446 - 02/07/12 02:17 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: SKane]
jpb Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: northern Sweden
Originally Posted By: SKane
You wouldn't think the flip screen would have a bunch of use - until you've tried it. Hold it over your head, put it on the ground etc. and you don't have to be a contortionist to see through the the viewfinder. laugh

I had one of the earlier G series Canons (forget the model now) and that flip screen is fantastic.

I do not think I would consider a camera without this feature now. It is that useful.

With the flip screen, you can leave your tripod at home, then simply hold your camera against something, or on something on the ground -- swivel the screen to see what you are doing and you are golden even at very slow shutter speeds.

The current Canon G series have even larger flip screens than mine did -- even better!

John

#6147075 - 02/07/12 08:48 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: jpb]
EricM Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SoCal/ Djibouti
Cool pics and video, Shrapnel, and SKane it looks like the G11 is doing real well. That's a great fire pic. I think the G12's should come down in price even more so that's definitely an option I'll be considering.

My last camera was a Panasonic Lumix... I thought it took decent pics outside, but indoor it would go into ISO mode and everything would get fuzzy. I had to send it in to get refurbished after my wife accidentally dropped it, and just a few days ago I got a system error where it won't focus. I'm ready to toss it and move on to something better. I really enjoy taking macro shots, wide angle landscape and HD video.

Eric

#6148866 - 02/08/12 10:12 AM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: EricM]
EricM Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SoCal/ Djibouti
Here are a few cool shots from a Canon S100 I found online:

Source.

#6149004 - 02/08/12 10:48 AM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: EricM]
djpaintless Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I picked up a S100. So far I'm impressed with it, lots of flexibility, creative modes, Slow Motion HD etc. etc. It will take a while to figure out all it will do. Here's a few quick practice shots.

Smith and Wesson Model 41's:

Bentley:

Focuses close enough to show I need to clean this!

So far I'm quite impressed with it, especially as small as it is. My only real complaint isn't really related to the camera. To use the RAW files in Photoshop Express it requires an update which can't be performed automatically, you have to manual hack it a bit to get it to work, just a bit of a PITA.

...................dj

#6149894 - 02/08/12 02:58 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: djpaintless]
djpaintless Offline
Campfire Tracker

The S100's Slow Motion video seemed like a neat idea so I did a little test shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQ0jkUitmU&feature=youtu.be

The resolution is all that great but still not too bad for such a small camera. :-) ...................dj

#6150273 - 02/08/12 04:25 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: djpaintless]
Lawdwaz Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: WNY
Since you guys are putting up some of yours...........here are a few attempts from my G12.

Butt end of an old bamboo rod..

Black dog in snow. A tough one for me..

NULA on a fence post..

#6151371 - 02/08/12 08:46 PM Re: Looking for input on a few Canon Point and Shoots... [Re: Lawdwaz]
djpaintless Offline
Campfire Tracker

Lawdwaz, thanks for the pics! I think that the "butt end" pic in particular shows what a fine camera the G12 is!

I'm really looking forward to the G1x.................dj

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on MINOX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
820 registered (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 12savage, 1234, 75 invisible), 1780 Guests and 366 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50609 Members
72 Forums
637207 Topics
9144438 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.