-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eblair, the C Sharps 1875 should also get some mention. Not the prettiest rifle in the world, but darn sure a better entry level gun than one of the Italian Sharps or hiwalls.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Eblair, the C Sharps 1875 should also get some mention. Not the prettiest rifle in the world, but darn sure a better entry level gun than one of the Italian Sharps or hiwalls.

In what way will a 75 be better than a Pedersoli Sharps or a Browning Highwall? I would venture none. It doesn't look as good as any of them, it will shoot worse and it is generally less reliable from the wide variety of reports on these. They are okay rifles, but they are not better than the above.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent never said they'ld be better than a Miroku built hiwall....
They do have a very good lock time, and now also the set trigger option.
The advantage they carry over the Pederoli sharps is price and overall quality and service after the sale.
Have neither heard or experienced the reliability problem with the 75's.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Ranch13

I had looked at the C Sharps 1875 at their website and wondered just what the main mechanical difference is between the 1874 and 1875. Just looking at the style, the 1874 is more appealing to me. Can someone explain the difference?

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 75 action is trimmer than a 74, very similar in size to the Hiwall. All the lock parts are internal in the action.

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The DEEP receiver ring (compared to the '74) is a DECIDED and inarguable "Accuracy Edge". Faster lock time, too.

These are all kinda' [bleep] piddly details, ANY of the American made rifles discussed will shoot well. Italian quality can be on again, off again, particularly in the area of small parts heat treatment.

I like the '74 for the EASE of cleaning up, compared to the Walls and Rollers.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/09/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to buy a Shiloh Sharps, but everyone I spoke to said the Italian guns were more accurate. I found this to be the case when I shot them too. I'm just sayin'.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Guess that is why the top 10 shooters at the 2009 Nationals all shot Italian guns. crazy

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-resul...ampionship_top-10-finishers-e-survey.htm

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swamp if you had so much experience with a sharps, then how did it come to pass that you did not know to put the hammer on half cock before you opened the breechblock?
Pedersoli's are decent rifles, the cost difference between a Shiloh and the Pedersoli in insignificant. The quality of the Shiloh is miles ahead, the warranty of the Shiloh is unbeatable, and should a person decide at a later point to sell the rifle the Shiloh will likely appreciate , or at very least not loose any value, the first round you put thru your Pedersoli you lost 25% and the depreciation will only get worse.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ranch13: You asked the same question of the "expert" that's been on my mind. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never said or implied that I had any experience. I bought my Pedersoli for $600.00. That seemed like a significant cost difference. I doubt I'll lose any money on it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
any one interested in a real 1875 Sharps, I think this is one of only two ever made, is up for sale. If only CSA made their 75 like that one!

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=44917x104&sale=320

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And for those with really really deep pockets, the best Sharps of all
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=49412

Much to little jim's surprise I shoot one of these myself. It's my #1 target rifle at the moment. Just not an original.

[Linked Image]

E Blair, depending on how hard you are willing to shop, the used rifle market might be a good place to pick up a rifle that suits your fancy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I never said or implied that I had any experience. I bought my Pedersoli for $600.00. That seemed like a significant cost difference. I doubt I'll lose any money on it.

You stated that you had shot many Shilohs along side of Pedersoli's and came to the conclusion that Pedersoli was the better rifle.
You bought a used pedersoli carbine for half what the current price is on new ones.... Not real likely to get that sort of a deal on a Shiloh or C Sharps, unless you stumble into something that the seller doesn't know what they have, or at an auction someplace where there's no interest....

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent I'ld about guess that CSA would build you one that looked just like that one, about all you need do is place the order and write the check...

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One thing for sure and certain. You don't see anyone selling their Shiloh so they can buy a Pedersoli. On the other hand..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to have a Shiloh but then I always rode Harleys even though I knew Hondas were better bikes. I don't think the Pedersoli's are better rifles, I do think they are generally more accurate rifles.

If you get the higher end Shilohs, the fit and finish is very attractive.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think the Pedersoli's are better rifles, I do think they are generally more accurate rifles.

2009 Raton BPCR Nationals
1st - Shiloh
2nd - Meacham Hi Wall
3rd - Shiloh
4th - Shiloh
5th - Other
6th - Shiloh
7th - C Sharps
8th - C Sharps
9th - Winchester Hi Wall
10th - Meacham Hi Wall

Even the plain Jane Shiloh's the fit and finish is attractive.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'd love to have a Shiloh but then I always rode Harleys even though I knew Hondas were better bikes. I don't think the Pedersoli's are better rifles, I do think they are generally more accurate rifles.

I might be wrong on this, but several years ago Pedersoli started the 5 @ 200 I think to promote his rifles and I think the pedersoli's seldom finished on top.
But like I said I might be wrong, wont be the first time.

As far as the Shiloh finish; there is no difference between the plain Jane and the highly decked out east coats parlor gun they are all excellent fit and finish.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pedersoli also had a MOA challenge out there for a while. I believe the only person to meet the challenge did so with a Browning/Miroku highwall.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.