Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After 18 years, I have dragged my 189 & 6/8 B&C Canada moose antlers out from under the deck. I've had the mouse chewed horn tips repaired, the antlers restored to near original color, and mounted on a plaque.

However, I did not find a suitable hanger at Home Depot to secure the plaque to the wall above the front door (we have a bilevel ). The plaque already has a sturdy hanger, just wondering if there is a good, solid anchor to hang the plaque on. I will try to hit a stud, but if someone were to slam the door, I don't want the antlers falling on anyone.

Couple of deck screws? A lag bolt? Is there a commercial hanger? Wall is dry wall, but I think I need to hit a stud.

Anyone been down this road before? My google searches did not yield suitable results.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506

... but I think I need to hit a stud.

Yep, and get two Timberlock� Screws 6" long (by Fastenmaster) if you can; and hit the stud.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the words of Yoda, "Try not. Do, or do not." In other words, drywall ain't gonna hold moose antlers. You have to find the stud.

I hung my wife's big caribou on a 1/4"x2" lag screw driven into the 2x4 stud. Drill a pilot hole before threading in the screw so you don't split the stud and weaken the whole works.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Also, make careful use of a good stud finder to make sure you hit the center.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of moose plaques will span two studs... My favorite never-fail hanger is a set of bed rail fasteners. Essentially two tapered pieces sliding together and they are stout. Usually I inlet the male half in the back of the plaque. If I have two studs I use two hangers. You could hang a Yugo off them... And some people put a lot of junk on their horn...

This is my favorite style...
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=343&filter=bed%20rail%20hardware

These work, but are not my favorite because it is difficult to line them up when you are up on a ladder hanging onto a big chunk of bone.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10&filter=bed%20rail%20hardware

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
With a 51" wide set of elk antlers on an oak plaque, I put two Timberlock screws through the plaque, right into a stud. Solid as can be.

Before that, I tried a half-a** anchor in dry wall. One day the rack fell off the wall and tried to get even with me for killing the bull!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GuyM
With a 51" wide set of elk antlers on an oak plaque, I put two Timberlock screws through the plaque, right into a stud. Solid as can be.

Before that, I tried a half-a** anchor in dry wall. One day the rack fell off the wall and tried to get even with me for killing the bull!

Same thing happened to me, only it was an entire moose HEAD. I used a 1/4" lag and it actually snapped. I was in my recliner right under the hear. I was nodding off a bit when I heard this "click". I looked up just in time to catch the head. Luckily, no damage to me OR the mount. I changed out the 1/4" lag for one that was a 1/2" diameter and the head has now been in place since 1994. And yes, it is screwed into a wall stud. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep, you need to find a stud, even when hanging small deer should mounts.

Hanging a plaque is easy. On heavy antlers, I think I would actually drill straight through the plaque, and into the stud. Then install a wooden plug over the screw hole to match. Don't even bother with a hanger.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Agreed, tho Art seems to have a winner.

My two sets of wall-mounted moose antlers are screwed into a single stud each, with two 3" (I think) drywall screws, one at the top, the other at the bottom. The heads are not obtrusive enough IMO to warrant plugging, tho I could see it with large lag-bolt heads. One has been in place for about 20 years without problem. Neither are placed where thy could normally fall on anything too important. The heavier screws or lagbolts are definately a worthy idea, however.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NEVER use drywall screws for anything heavy!!!! They are brittle and can snap under sudden loads like a little temblor. I have heard of plaques with antlers falling off walls when a door was slammed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

AB2506 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mounted with a 3/8 3.5" lag bolt into a stud.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.