Print Thread
Hop To
D
dogdoc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Anybody know about how far a 22cb with 29 grain bullet traveling 700 fps at muzzle will travel for safety concerns? I know it will not go 1.5 miles as the boxes say under normal conditions. I read in a ballistics book that army test showed that a 22 long rifle standard velocity would go around max 1350 yards at something like 33 degrees elevation. I am guessing a cb would be around 500 yards but do not know. Any input??

Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think you're well in the "ball-park" as to the distance the CB Cap's bullet will go... and that is a maximum distance based on 710 fps muzzle velocity of the CB Longs if fired at "THE" perfect angle as well.

If fired at a ground-level target, I'd guess the projectile probably wouldn't go more than a few hundred yards at most.

Perhaps someone else with greater knowledge about such things will chime in... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Given a MV of 710 fps and a bullet weight of 29 grains from here:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0038

and a BC of .105 from here:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/22rimfire.cfm

Put them all together here:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdist-5.1.cgi

and you get an answer of 1146.7 yd, or about 2/3 of a mile.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I shot a squirrel off of our fence out back once from about 25 yards. There is a pond on the other side at about 75 yards. The cb cap from my 39a hit the squirrel through the shoulders and hit the pond with a pretty good "splash". Did not really think that slow mover would hit that hard. Oh yea squirrel DRT too.

A man's got to know his limitations!
D
dogdoc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by natman

That is interesting but I do not believe it will go that far (it could but the long rifle bullet in the army test only went about that far, 1250 to 1350 yards). I will have fun playing with that site, however. Thanks for the reply and the I wonder what the g factor on his formula is derived from. I will shoot some over my pond on a calm day but I am limited to about 350 yards.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Let's find out!
You go way back thar,
and shoot at me,
And I'll start here and shoot back.
Then ya walk closer and repeat.
When one of us yells, we'll know fer sure!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogdoc

That is interesting but I do not believe it will go that far (it could but the long rifle bullet in the army test only went about that far, 1250 to 1350 yards). I will have fun playing with that site, however. Thanks for the reply and the I wonder what the g factor on his formula is derived from. I will shoot some over my pond on a calm day but I am limited to about 350 yards.

They will go that far if fired at the proper elevation angle. Don't let your gut opinion lose an argument with physics. It could wind up a very sad affair. To clarify terminology, CB Caps are not the same thing as CB Shorts. The range quoted is for the CB shorts which is consistent with the bullet weight you referred to. CB Caps will in fact have a much shorter range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

.22 BB Caps.....
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by dogdoc

They will go that far if fired at the proper elevation angle. Don't let your gut opinion lose an argument with physics. It could wind up a very sad affair. To clarify terminology, CB Caps are not the same thing as CB Shorts. The range quoted is for the CB shorts which is consistent with the bullet weight you referred to. CB Caps will in fact have a much shorter range.

.22 BB Caps.....
[Linked Image]

It's amazing how far a bullet will go if you fire it at the optimum angle. The OP seems quite clear about which cartridge he's referring to:

Anybody know about how far a 22cb with 29 grain bullet traveling 700 fps at muzzle will travel for safety concerns?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, pretty much, but others were mixing terminology. Caps is caps, shorts are shorts, and never the twain shall meet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would think it would be easy to tell by holding a bullet in your hand at the height of the barrel that you will be shooting.
Time how long it takes to hit the ground.
A bullet fired from the rifle, perpendicular to the line toward the ground, will hit the ground at the same time, just in a different location. However long it takes to hit the ground, multiply that by the velocity and you will be pretty darn close.

That is my simple physics at work.
i.e. bullet hits ground in 2 seconds when dropped.
Bullet travels 1000fps.
If fired straight, with no trajectory, it will travel 2000 ft.
I would probably even stand at 2001 feet just to make sure, or put a steel plate on the ground at 2000 feet and listen for it to tall on the plate.

Keep Smiling
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JonS
I would think it would be easy to tell by holding a bullet in your hand at the height of the barrel that you will be shooting.
Time how long it takes to hit the ground.
A bullet fired from the rifle, perpendicular to the line toward the ground, will hit the ground at the same time, just in a different location. However long it takes to hit the ground, multiply that by the velocity and you will be pretty darn close.

That is my simple physics at work.
i.e. bullet hits ground in 2 seconds when dropped.
Bullet travels 1000fps.
If fired straight, with no trajectory, it will travel 2000 ft.
I would probably even stand at 2001 feet just to make sure, or put a steel plate on the ground at 2000 feet and listen for it to tall on the plate.

That might work IF the bullet were fired parallel to the ground. However, maximum distance calculations start with the bullet being fired up at an angle, so it rises to a considerable height and then falls back down. Fired this way it will take a good deal longer to hit the ground.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
fired parallel to the ground (level surface), 175-200 yards max, depending on your height of coarse. I stand 6' 5" and thats all the further they make it when I'm shooting.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
D
dogdoc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

.22 BB Caps.....
[Linked Image] [/quote/]

That formula makes assumptions as to drag and others. It is the assumptions that can make a large difference in results. Many factors can affect the physics. I do not believe a simple formula can yield an accurate result as to maximum travel distance unless you are shooting in vacuum. Too many variables in the atmosphere. The results in the book "Understanding Firearms Ballistics" I believe are from actual test conducted by the army where they observed impacts. they state that 22 long rifle standard velocity will max out at 1250 to 1350 yards. See page 268 in the book. Very good read. If that is correct I do not believe 29 grain bullet at 710fps will travel 1150 yards (less velocity and poorer ballistic coefficient)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well then, I'd say you're right. It won't travel 1150 yards. The previous input indicates 1146.7 yards, and to be particular, that is a bit short of 1150.

Happen to have a copy of Mr. Rinker's book on the shelf. Right next to a few others by authorities far more educated in the science of aeroballistics. Rinker does a good job of translating ballistic gak into lay terms, but he is far from the last word on the subject. Furthermore, quoting information from one old reference while writing another is not necessarily the stuff of scientific research.

On the other hand, the likes of Vaughn and McCoy were acknowledged as the fathers of modern aeroballistics and much of what is found on the JBM website is based on findings by Dr. McCoy during his many years at Aberdeen. The reference to "McDrag" at the JBM site is a tribute to McCoy and is a verified aeroballistic program. In short (pun intended) you can deny reality if you like, but that doesn't make your dogma valid.

Guess on my part, but if you understood the complexities of drag calculation for conical projectiles and all the other poop that goes along with it you might change your tune a little.

I am..........disturbed.

D
dogdoc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Lighten up dude as my 11 year old would say.This is all just discusion and fun. No one is denying reality. I do not think a math formula defines reality any better than an actual test as the army coducted.In fact actual result are reality. The formula may be right? but it does not compute with the test in that book. It is always safer to assume the bullet will travel further, which is what I do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Already light, just my way of talking....dude. Think about this a second...

What you're missing is understanding of drag effects as related to scale and velocity. What Rinker referred to in his book may be correct or not. Error in the max range of 100 yards or about 8% as you relate is significant and renders the findings questionable. Maybe they are right and maybe they aren't. Comparison of the BC numbers betwixt the LR and short bullet is not a linear function for several reasons, most notable of which is the fact that drag coefficients are variable from the time a bullet exits the muzzle until it comes to rest. In other words it is a value that evolves, not a constant value. What you see in published data is an approximation of average drag over a specific distance selected by the manufacturer.

What I am trying to impress on you is in line with your last sentence. The CB bullet will travel the longer distance if departure angle is optimum and therefore the hazard can be projected to approximately 1140 + yards. In the subsonic velocity range lower speed generally translates to higher BC for flat base bullets. There is no obvious correlation between the performance of LR bullets and Short bullets that can be inferred from Rinker's book.

First and foremost folks need to understand that CB shorts are deadly and are not toys. I know a lot of folks that incorrectly think that is the case and use such ammo indiscriminately. It is a foolish thing to do. I took exception to your speculation that their longest potential travel distance would be in the range of 500 yards or so and that is simply untrue.

The facts have been put in front of you and I rather imagine you'll do what you please with the information. Couple of pics below to illustrate what CB shorts are capable of doing. Take heed please.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.